Paypal Security Breach Alert!!!!!

Until this breach my system was supposedly protected by Norton SystemWorks and Internet Security which continuously monitored security. I ran a twice-weekly virus scans and kept my virus definitions current.

I am so sorry you had to go through all of this! Here is something I have been using for years and it's really great for removing spy-ware from your computer. Oh.. and it's free! It's called Ad-Aware and you can download the free version on http://www.lavasoftusa.com. They also offer some upgraded versions that you can pay for, but the free one has worked fine for me. I used to use Norton Internet security and from what I remember it didn't have a spy-ware removal tool. Or, if it did, it didn't work very well. A lot of the trojans that can get on your computer these days show up as spy-ware and unfortunately a lot of the anti-virus stuff doesn't catch them. Hope this helps!

Vicki :smile:

Wow, this thread has been so informative. Chloebalenciaga, I am SO very sorry it had to come from this happening to you, though! I have taken notes and hopefully a lot of people will learn from what you had to go through. Thank you for sharing!

I considered getting a second bank account just for paypal transactions, but when I spoke to my bank they informed me that since all of their accounts provide overdraft protection, someone could still withdraw much more money than was in your account and the bank would cover it! So it really doesn't matter what account it's linked to, even if it just has a few dollars in it.

There's a good article posted here about the type of security breach you experienced. The writer calls it Pick Pocket theft in talking about how a lot of resources go into protecting big systems when it's the little guy getting robbed.
http://www.veracode.com/blog/?p=32

I've wavered on getting the paypal key since they flashed us the announcement on the paypal site a few weeks ago. I'm afraid of misplacing it or being somewhere without it and needing account access. Note that the writer above was talking about using authentication tokens (ie the paypal key) back in 1999.

For internet security it's worth reading reviews and checking metrics every few months. With security threats being so pervasive (one security article gave the stat that your computer will be attacked within 60 secs of going online) its important to periodically check in on who's staying on top in security products.

Norton's been slipping for some time when tested by independent security labs against other available products. I like to pick the best of field products as opposed to a suite so I use Kaspersky for antivirus and Zonelab for firewall. Bitdefender, Kaspersky and Nod32 bounce around in the top 3 for antivirus. It costs a little bit more to buy separate products rather than a suite but I google for coupons and often get a good deal.

For current comprehensive anti-virus reviews and comparisons I go here:
http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

For firewall:
http://personal-firewall-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Thank you. Your informative post made me realize there's much I've yet to learn. The "60 second" statistic is truly frightening.

I'm going firewall shopping now! :jammin:

yay i am so glad some of you have ordered them i really do think its a good idea

i hear what some of you are saying, yes it should be free and yes we shouldnt need it in the 1st place

but the fact of the matter is, if it makes us feel safer, its worth $5 and if it seems unnecessary then dont get it :smile:

For me since i have had it i feel 100000 times better about my accounts because i need to enter these #'s each time

and i know the hackers prob. could get through that too BUT would they bother going to the trouble when there are lots of accts out there where all they need is the password and not have to sort of breaking into the key code? :smile:

I think its a great thing and YAY for everyone who ordered one i think you will be very happy and feel safer with it, i know i do ! :smile:

I considered getting a second bank account just for paypal transactions, but when I spoke to my bank they informed me that since all of their accounts provide overdraft protection, someone could still withdraw much more money than was in your account and the bank would cover it! So it really doesn't matter what account it's linked to, even if it just has a few dollars in it.

Overdraft protection was in place when this crises began. In our case the service was elective. We opted out of it on the advice of our branch manager who explained the down side while we attended to bank's paperwork. OP is nothing more than a cash advance from a back-up credit card account to cover insufficient funds. Its use actually increases the account's vulnerability.

Clueless here....but even with a really great password, isn't it easy to hijack your account? Does having the key really protect us that much more?:wtf:
Say someone hacks into your paypal/ebay, how do we know? Does either site inform you immediately? Once again, sorry, just so clueless and thankful this hasn't happened to me yet. KNOCK ON WOOD!

I know exactly how frustrating this is for you! A few weeks ago, someone spent a big chunk of my money in Mexico. My bank wasn't really concerned, they just had to pay the charges they told me...and then they would reverse them. They did but I lost use of my money for about two weeks! The EFFING nerve of some people, who choose to steal from others instead of earning their own!

Sorry to hear what happened to you, that is a nightmare. No one is safe from anything. Thanks for the info on Paypal key, I will order to, its worth the peace of mind.. Hopefully they can't hack this...

I opened a paypal account to make one purchase on ebay, and today I closed my account. All of this is just too risky for me. Just think of how many of us have responded that they have been hacked into, and we are members of just one small purse forum. Thank you all for your very informative posts about this. I'm glad I made that decision.

oh its this great thing this is what it looks like
spot_ppSecurityKeyFront_240x134.gif

and you get it through paypal

if you log in then up on the right side click security center, and then in security center at the bottom there is a box that says security tools, if you go there, the 2nd thing down is the paypal security key

basically its this thing you pay a 1 time fee of $5 and they send it to you, and if can be used with both paypal and ebay

and you activate it and it has a button you press that generates a 6 digit # code and it only is good for one minute then it goes blank and you have to press again and get a new #

and so every time you log into ebay and paypal if will ask as always for your password but then it will ask for the security key # and you press the button and use the 6 digits that are generated at that moment

if you wait over a minute you have to press again for a new one!

it makes me feel SOOOOO much safer because i feel like yea maybe a hacker can get my password but how do they know what my secuirty key says?!

Thanks for the heads up. I've seen these things used in corporate networks.

I think this worth to buy a security key, even it should be offered by PayPal for free. Yes, the security key method has been used in corporate work; however, if an employee left it at home, he/she basically cannot work unless begging their IT department issue a temp one. Therefore, we have to make sure we don't loose the security key.

Question, I too use Ad Aware...would this be sufficient?

Also, if they determine there has been a paypal or ebay breach, do you have to call your bank/paypal for them to then decide to return your funds, or if it passes unnoticed, and you do not realize and do not claim it, then it goes as though you used those funds?