Paul Mitchell the School or Vidal Sassoon Academy?

I was reading an article in the London Times where there was a protest by the World Animal Rights Organization after Robert Cromeans and Paul Mitchell made a trip to London after visiting a production facory for Paul Mitchell products in China. Apparently they were doing experiements on rabits cats and dogs to see if their were ill effects occuring from thier color line, specificly from their brand of color called PM shines. It did not report the results of the testing. Only that animials were being used in the tests. The crowd was so large that Paul Mitchell left in advance of Cromeans in a limosine. Robert Cromeans had to be scuttled away in a taxi to aviod the mob after Paul Mitchell ditched him in the maylay. Robert Cromeans was dressed head to toe in exotic animal furs. It was said in the report that Cromeans shoulder purse was made from the poached hides of endangered polar bears. :confused1:

Last edited by a moderator:
My mom took me and my sister to the Vidal Sasson on Collins ave in Miami for my birthday. We all got our hair done and went for lunch at Sushi Makki on Washington Ave and tenth. Had a blast. Don't know much about Paul Mitchell. Will recomend VS.

Thanks Mom and Jen, Robin. :heart::heart::heart:

Yeah, I had a friend that went to school at the school in San Diego, Ca. She said the school was political and the teachers engaged regularly in group harasment of some of the "out" students. She said the teachers and faculty were unprofessional, eletist and snoby and it reflected in the work and attitudes of the students. She completed the program and is in the process of paying back the $25,000. in loans incured while in attendance. She said she feels fortunate, some of the students have to restart the program if their attendance is not nearly perfect and they don't also kiss hinne. Oh, she has also seen other less popular students ejected from the program with out reasonable cause because they didn't bow down to the demanding, rude, tyranical management that lords over the establishment at Paul Mitchell the School San Diego. If one objects, they are told "good luck" and "read the fine print". They can't even litigate. They are directed to arbitrate with the company. And when you sign the contract you better be prepared to grin and bear what ever they throw at you becase you are required the pay the $25,000.00 by law even if you don't finish the training or get a licence to practice cosmetology. This is very sad and very ture of the school, Stacy.:supacool:

I was reading an article in the London Times where there was a protest by the World Animal Rights Organization after Robert Cromeans and Paul Mitchell made a trip to London after visiting a production facory for Paul Mitchell products in China. Apparently they were doing experiements on rabits cats and dogs to see if their were ill effects occuring from thier color line, specificly from their brand of color called PM shines. It did not report the results of the testing. Only that animials were being used in the tests. The crowd was so large that Paul Mitchell left in advance of Cromeans in a limosine. Robert Cromeans had to be scuttled away in a taxi to aviod the mob after Paul Mitchell ditched him in the maylay. Robert Cromeans was dressed head to toe in exotic animal furs. It was said in the report that Cromeans shoulder purse was made from the poached hides of endangered polar bears. :confused1:

This would be quite difficult since Paul Mitchell passed away from pancreatic cancer in 1989....you are referring to CEO John Paul DeJoria, the co-founder of John Paul Mitchell Systems.

This would be quite difficult since Paul Mitchell passed away from pancreatic cancer in 1989....you are referring to CEO John Paul DeJoria, the co-founder of John Paul Mitchell Systems.

:yes: I was going to say...where's Twinkie? She's a PM gal. heehee. My hairdresser bought me a present...the new PM hairdryer and flat iron...I love them!!!

:yes: I was going to say...where's Twinkie? She's a PM gal. heehee. My hairdresser bought me a present...the new PM hairdryer and flat iron...I love them!!!

WOW!!! What a gift! Your stylist sounds fantastic!!! They are great, aren't they? My salons retail the heck out of both the Styling Iron and the Smoothing Iron! Now the hairdryers are really starting to take off, too.

Yeah, I've been MIA for awhile. Work has been crazy, but I'm back!

And, of course, my vote is for a Paul Mitchell Academy or Paul Mitchell Partner school. However, Vidal Sassoon is also a very reputable school as well. Paul Mitchell was Sassoon trained. If anyone decides to go to a beauty school for services, it must be expected that things are going to be vastly different than the normal salon environment.

Hi ya,

Hey girls, I'm just reporting on what I read. Don't shoot the messanger. Bad press is like a bad attitude. It tends to follow a person. Do you dispute the fact that Robert Cromans wears more animal hides than a queenie version of 1970's Conan the Barbarian. I mean really, is it barber or Barbarian? Mabey its Barbarella? Palease Cromeans, Pick One! I do beleive thatThe World Animal Rights Organization has sent an number of letters to Mr. Cromans requesting that he tone it down just a tad with the leather. He is a high profile international business man. I understand if the "CEO of Paul Mitchel" may not care to do business directly with Darfur or South Africa except for cheesy donor promos with photo ops. You can't protest in one breath to be for the enivorments and in the next walk around like the fictional hunter in the Jumangi Movies with Robin Willams. Its like hes saying, "do as I say don't do as I do." Thats called being a Hypocrate. More over it is an insult to the plight of those less fortuante in Subsaharian Africa. After all, If its not Dimonds or poached animal hides, its something else.:crybaby:

Milan2008.

Hi Milan2008,

# 1: Well just as a general observation it seems like the majority of people reporting say they prefer Vidal Sassoon over Paul Mitchell. I have 50 plus constituents on this site alone ready and willing to confirm my findings on the matter. Yes, Paul Mitchell may have been a student of Vidal Sassoon but most of those that I have spoken with will agree he was not as skillful a master in his craft. The salons and schools are loud. Instead of playing relaxing music they more often blast inappropriate and at times offensive music.

#2: In additon, There is being slightly behind schedule, and then there is being grossly inconsiderate in terms of managing client appointments. Maybe if the music was not so loud, if they had a better control over the flow of traffic, and dare I say, if they had better management and instruction these typical problems could be reduced greatly. I do find that Vidal Sassoon is much better in these areas witch often equates to a substantially better experience and better out comes.

#3: There is an air of condescending elitism particularly among the faculty and management witch they may recognize as offensive to students. It is equally offensive to their patrons. Maybe you as an associate should come to terms with the idea that some of the internal difficulties that pervade and plague the company would eventually come out into the public forum. If they do not recognize that they do have a problem it is the duty of the public, their students and patrons to bring it to their attention. Maybe if they recognize the errors in their ways they can go about trying to fix them. Their problems are many.

Hello,

I have been a practicing cosmetologist for 30 years. The education at Paul Mitchell, Vidal Sassoon, and The California Public Schools is virtualy the same. In many cases students that get education frm the state schools have an edge in perming. I knew one gentelman fresh from a State school in Florida who could wrap a spiral perm in less than 20 minutes. Both public and private all teach one length, layered, graduated, round length, square length, and triangular cuts. There are students at the private schools that have access to modleing shows and other high profile activities. But sucsess in these areas are are also accessible to graduates from the state schools as well. I have heard that many students at the private schools wanted accsess to certain activies and shows but were denied because of limited space availability. This may be were some of the tension arises from graduates of Paul Mitchell who feel they paid the same $25,000.00 in loans but did not have some of the same opportunities as some of their more popular counterparts. I have heard that selection for the design team at Paul Mitchell can be very political. At the state schools it is often the opposite with many opportunities being offered but many students who don't seek them out or apply. Many of the state school competitions are on national and international scales with metals awards and prize money offered to top performers. Many times its a matter of personal comitment and drive on the part of the student/ graduate. The average cost of a state cosmeology education is still very affordable at $3,500.00. The state school often have other resume building activities as well as business courses unlike Mitchell and Vidal. I don't think there are good and bad students. Learing is always an ongoing process. Commitment to learining and practice are the keys to sucsess.:okay:

i don't really know what this stuff about animal furs and personal lives has to do with a good haircut.

i've never been to a PM or a VS teaching salon but i did have a teaching haircut once and it was awful! it took over 3 hours. they had to keep re-wetting my hair because it was drying before the haircut was done. however...it was free. but even so. i refuse to go to students after that. although my salon in los angeles had apprentices and they were amazing and talented.

If you decide to go the more economical route and attend a public cosmetology school subsidized by the state, you can always find recent Pual Mitchell vidios on cutting some where on the internet for free. Personaly, I'm suprised Paul Mitchells basic cutting vids aren't on youtube already. I am quite sure it will not belong before they are. There is no hidden secret cutting method. Like I said, its the same stuff they teach at the state school, minus the expensive price tag.

Although its great to walk around with yur nose in the air and tell all you girl friends and co-workers that your a PM grad, they will probably figure you less of a stuck up snob if you keep that to yourself. A salon is a salon is a salon. Its not Cambridge. Its certianly not Harvard. Heck, its not even the University of Miami. Ouch! Its also not bachelors a masters or a doctoral degree... Its a certificate program pure and simple. But if Michell Jacksons lil monkey boo boo can get it done why shouldn't the strung out kids of Americas wealth one percent be able to also. If Paul Mitchell thinks yur something special, mabey you really are. Its not the first time an aglomeration like that uses smoke and mirrors to make a large profit. They are the smoke and mirrors people right. Here watch this while I run your credit cards. Ooooo Ahhhh! Some people need a big name behind them to boost their confidence so they can actualy get something done in their meager lives. What can I say?

There is nothing wrong with that. It is also nice to graduate a public school program and hit the ground making and saving money. If you finance a program like Paul Mitchell through loans you will find that the true price of the program is much closer to about $50,000.00 after all the intrest has acrued over the life of your loans. But $50,000 isn't that much now is it, I mean for a certificate. Why buy a home or a nice car if you can dump it all on a cerfificate program you could pay out of pocket less than five grand for at a community college. After all America has credit based economy that works just fine as is. Echem!

Hey If Mr. Right doesn't think your sooo special, mabey he'll still spend some time and a little money on you cause of your really cool certificato. When he runs your credit score to assess his financial risk being tied down to you I'm sure he'll appreciate that fact that you are sooo in dept. I know this is Paul Mitchell vs Vidal Sassoon... But they're not the only people in this great big world.

I get what you are saying, but the original question was someone wondering which school they should get a haircut from, if they were to pick between the two. Not where they should go to cosmetology school.

I get what you are saying, but the original question was someone wondering which school they should get a haircut from, if they were to pick between the two. Not where they should go to cosmetology school.

hahhaaa...OMG...this has to be one of the most bizarre threads I have ever read on tpf. What the hell are all these rants about? So weird.....