Part Time Jobs?

1. I am going back to school in the fall to get my masters and am trying to figure out what to do for a part time job. My bachelor's degree is in elementary/middle school education and last year I taught 7th & 8th grade math. The four classes I'm taking are all over the place (one is an hour and a half away :rant: :mad: :censor:smile: and from 4-7 pm, so I can really only work in the morning or on weekends. Unfortunately, tutoring places are most busy from 4-7, so I can't do that, and I really don't want to substitute teach, because I would be teaching all day and then running to class and if I wanted that I would just get a teaching job. I would like to try to do something related to my degree or future degree (educational technology -- computer stuff :biggrin:), but on the other hand, it might be fun to try some new and different things. I was thinking retail would probably be the most flexible, but I have no retail experience and so I doubt the places I would want to work would hire me. I was also thinking maybe Starbucks, as I've heard they're extremely flexible for school and offer health insurance for part time people, but then I'd probably run into my former students and that might be awkward. Hah. I'm looking for something between 10 & 20 hours a week.

So my question is what part time jobs have you had that you've liked? I want to get something in the next few weeks so I don't have to sell of my purses to feed myself. I only want to do that to buy new purses! :amuse: Also, I'm bored out of my mind with nothing to do! I'm not used to all this free time. I can only relax so much.
  2. i work at best buy and really like it. you could work in the computer department, if you're looking for something tech-related. you learn a lot about what you sell and really become and expert at things like troubleshooting. they're always looking for people that can work in the mornings and it's really flexible.
  3. how about at a hospital in their Info tech dept? or education dept. teaching compter classes? its a thought. schedules are flexible for students, and partime you still are eligible for tuition reimbursement.
  4. The standardized testing industry has changed a lot in the past decade, but when I first got my BA and was doing my MA I worked part time for Princeton Review, teaching SAT and GRE preperation courses. It was really fun, and great pay...but the hours totally depended upon whether or not there was demand (either kids signing up for a regularly scheduled class, or for tutoring). If you live near a city, you would probably be able to get teaching. Kaplan is the other major test prep company. Sometimes local school districts do one too. The classes are usually taught in the evening, and tutoring you could schedule whenever. Anyway, somthing to possibly check out!
  5. Waitressing! It was the best part time job I ever had. I never wanted to do it, but when I started in college oh my god-the money! There were nights where I'd walk home with $600 in my pocket after 8 hours-there's no other (legal) part time job you can make that kind of money. I worked Wednesday, Fridays and Saturday nights in college and I made more than most people made working 40 hours a week in a retail job. The hours are almost always super flexible & if it's a good place, you're so busy the time flies by. Plus free meals!! In college that was like the cherry on a very awesome sundae.

If you're good under pressure & have good organizational skills, it's a great part time job to have.
  6. Why don't you tutor privately? I'm a high school English teacher, and I tutor on the side. Put an ad in the local paper, or at the library. YOu know how many kids go to summer school!! Depending on where you live, you can make from $50-100 an hour. It's also really flexible! I do it b/c I can still go to the beach, tutor for an hour, then still have my night free!
  7. When I was doing my Masters, I worked part-time in the administration office in school, so I basically filled in time in-between classes with work and go home by 7pm. Didn't earn a lot but enough for my needs.
  8. Work at the local library! The pay isn't too bad for what you do, which is quite easy. I get paid $9.75 for checking-in books and shelving them. Easy work. Our library employs us for about 10-12 hours every week. We are considered extra help so no benefits.
  9. jillybean307, you make waitressing sound amazing and now I'm going to have to try it when I move to New York for school (that is, if anyone will hire me).
  10. I loved it. I mean, like all jobs it has it's faults-namely annoying and rude customers and slow nights, but between working retail for $6.50 an hour or $150+ for six hours worth of work, I'll take waitressing every time.

If you do it in NYC, you'll make a ton of money! Big cities are the best. My advice is to either find a really small independent place (like family owned) or a chain place (something like a Fridays) so that they'll train you well.

I had friends in college bartending or catering for charity events & various functions at a local museum and they really enjoyed that route too.