Paella - hints/advice/suggestions, please!

1. In two weeks I'm hosting a small get together for a friend's birthday and I'm thinking about making paella for everyone. I'll be hosting about 15 people and want to make a large, traditional paella (I'm thinking about using chicken, chorizo, and shrimp for this one along with onions, peppers, and a few other veggies) and a smaller vegetarian paella (not sure about this one, but will probably use tofu, onions, peppers, roasted corn and maybe sundried tomatoes). I've never made paella before and I've been reading about it online - it doesn't sound too hard. Any suggestions from people who have made it? Any ingredients I should throw in beyond what I've already mentioned? I feel like the most difficulty will come trying to find a skillet big enough to hold the big paella - hopefully I won't spend a fortune trying to find one. Any advice appreciated!

2. I put shellfish also, such as mussels or clams into the Paella, in addition to the shrimp, chorizo and chicken. I always use saffron and a high quality smoked paprika and some sort of seafood stock as the liquid to cook the rice in. Usually, I peel the shrimp and then use the shrimp shells and some sort of store bought seafood stock. Combine them in a pot and bring them to a boil. The shrimp shells really add a nice depth to the stock. Also, draping some roasted marinated bell peppers on the paella prior to finishing it in the oven too.

My family really enjoys Paella and for a while there, I was making it every week. Let me know if you need any additional info. ;) Good luck and Bon Appetit!

3. Thank you so much!! I'm going to do a trial run next weekend, I'll try making my own stock as you suggested.

4. If your considered about sizing of cookingware..you could cook a few batches in smaller pans?

5. See if you can find some Goya Sazon seasoning packets in the Mexican/Spanish foods section of your grocery store. It adds such a lovely Spanish flavor. Also, I use the canned diced tomatoes with the mild chiles along with chicken stock to cook the rice in.

6. I lived in Spain and my host family cooked some Paella on the grill for me. It was the most divine thing I have ever tasted. I've never attempted to make it myself. Please let us know how it goes!!!

7. Thank you for all of the responses! I'm taking them all down. I think I may try the recipe on Sunday, depending on how much time I have. I'll let you know how it goes!