Food Over flowing cupboard / freezer, using up the 'stock pile'

What I have been doing is Sat or Sunday going to the supermarket and I start in the meat section and see what's on sale....and decide from there what I will cook for that week. Since my pantry is still so full, I don't need to buy any staples right now.

So far for the month of September so I far I have spent just over $200 at the grocery store, and that includes TP, paper towels, shampoo, dish and laundry soap, even a couple of 6 packs of beer for DH and a bottle of vodka (for birthday lemon drops ;) ). I don't know how that is for the rest of the country, but for here in CA that is really cheap.

My Goal for this month was $500, that is not going to be a problem at all, it will probably be actually under $400. Since I cleaned out the pantry, I know I can do at least one more month around $400....after some of the stock is depleted, I know it will go back up, but if I can keep it between $600 - $700 a month I will be really happy, that be about half of what we were spending.

Wow! You really are good! $200 for all of that is great shopping.

This is sort of off topic, but honestly, a lot of you are ready for an emergency, natural disaster or otherwise. A well stocked pantry could feed the family for a number of weeks-months. My mom learned from a Mormon woman how to put up food. She had a year's supply in the house for unforseen circumstances.

every sarurday night or so we get out all of the almost empty packets from the freezer and have a mini buffet with a bottle of wine and a dvd.
my mother is recycle crazy so nothing gets wasted in our house.
if we have a roast chicken one night the next day will be something with the leftover (salad or curry) and then we make a stock and put it in the freezer for soup or a stew the next week.
as for planning, we plan a week ahead but we either grow our own veg or get deliveries from a local organic farmer, we get a huge box of seasonal fruit and veg for £15. so its just meat and basics we get from the supermarket.

kind of sad i know but i love the satisfation of eating jam or pickle i have made myself.

Saturday buffet idea is worth exploring! :tup:

Wow! You really are good! $200 for all of that is great shopping.

This is sort of off topic, but honestly, a lot of you are ready for an emergency, natural disaster or otherwise. A well stocked pantry could feed the family for a number of weeks-months. My mom learned from a Mormon woman how to put up food. She had a year's supply in the house for unforseen circumstances.

We have emergency disaster supplies in the garage...different kind of food than what's in the pantry. Vaccuum sealed self heating meals, water, first aid supplys that kind of thing. We check it and clean it out, rotate and replace what needs to be replaced once a year...always on Father's day week...odd, I know, but it helps us remember.

every sarurday night or so we get out all of the almost empty packets from the freezer and have a mini buffet with a bottle of wine and a dvd.
my mother is recycle crazy so nothing gets wasted in our house.
if we have a roast chicken one night the next day will be something with the leftover (salad or curry) and then we make a stock and put it in the freezer for soup or a stew the next week.
as for planning, we plan a week ahead but we either grow our own veg or get deliveries from a local organic farmer, we get a huge box of seasonal fruit and veg for £15. so its just meat and basics we get from the supermarket.

kind of sad i know but i love the satisfation of eating jam or pickle i have made myself.
i love your buffet idea! do you add butter to those packets of food? :P

My update...believe it or not, I am still on this project and LOVING it! We are eating much healthier and not being so wasteful.

My total grocery bill for September was $354.76, and that includes alcohol and personal care products!! And we didn't eat out once and only ordered pizza 1 day, so our total, personal* grocery/food expendature was under $400! I did buy stuff for the soldier project, too...but obviously that doesn't count ;)

It has made me more aware of what we really use in the pantry, so I can stock up on sale stuff, too. For example the kids really like soup and it is great for hockey nights, too...so when Safeway had the Campbells chunky (their favorite) for 1.25 (regularly 3.39) I bought a bunch. So far for October I spent about 250...but other than milk and maybe some fresh fruit and veggies I am done for the month, so we sould def. come in under $400. this month again.

Maybe I am crazy, but I think that is awesome for the four of us, including a teenage boy. :shrugs: But more than the money, I just feel good about eating healthy and not being wasteful, kwim? It sickened me to be throwing out 2,3 or even 4 bags of food every week the night before garbage day.

Anyone else still cleaning out their 'stock piles?'