Orange Birkin

I dont necessarily think of it as a "tip", the tip IMO is the commission that is made off of the bag. Kind of like included gratuity when there is a large party having dinner. IMO my SA went above and beyond the call to help me, so I went above and beyond to give credit where credit is deserved.

I agree that everyone should be treated equally though :biggrin: I'm VIP at most of the places I shop but expect good service even at places I'm not.

Femina you seem to be a wonderful and understanding person! I do feel everyone should be treated equally as well. That is how Hermes was sold to me long ago. The idea that you will receive endless assistance and it would be on a one to one basis.

As for tipping, I do not think you should tip. I feel Hermes should take care of their employees in that respect. I do feel like small little token items are perfect. Like a thank you that Noriko sent to her SA. OR, if you know your SA loves a certain chocolate or soap and you pass the shop where you can purchase them...pick up a tiny box and drop it by for no reason. It is the thought and not the amount. Everyone loves to be thought of and made to feel special.

As for the ulterior motive...I do feel if done a certain way it will look like your buying them. To me, that is no different than going in Hermes and buying many small things when they know you want that Birkin point blank.

I had a friend that worked at Hermes long ago and she tells me it was obvious when people have a plan to purchase small items and then work it to go in for the kill to get their "it bag". The SA's see through it, but they keep face because that is their job. My girlfriend told me when you work at Hermes there is a small level of people who really spend money there repeatedly and then there are the people who are "trying to acquire" as she would say. The SA's all know what's going on and who the real customers are no matter what anyone says. Hey, it is a business...

That is why I asked a while back in a thread if you all felt being honest with an SA is a better approach than shopping for all the little items etc. and building a relationship if possible. I partly asked to hear what you all thought because of what my old friend told me.

I always thought if you had the money or credit, you can get what you want. Call me naive, but I have always been honest with the SAs and said I was there for a Birkin. They didn't laugh at me. Why buy a bunch of stuff you don't really want. I go in often, am told a lot of people do the same. Having said that, think they will hide a birkin when they see someone coming who is obvious she is just looking for a Birkin? Are they on commission even if they just sell you a birkin? I've been going to hermes almost daily for a few weeks now and have rejected 3 and bought 1 (birkin).

Birkinbaby, I am with you on the honesty and direct approach. I mean I will but things if I want or need them, but a Birkin will not be for me if I have to buy many things I don't really want to get to the Birkin.

I don't think they will hide a Birkin to keep someone from purchasing it. I do know at my Hermes they only have so much out front on the display and that is it. It is kept very tidy and simply stocked. If they have others they are in the back and if you mention what you want they may say we have this or we have that...do you want to take a look? (Get what I mean)
I really feel people (SA's) respect the fact that you are up front and honest. You are not wasting their time or yours for that matter.

Birkinbaby...how often would you say new Birkins come into your store? I know they must really sell there, but if you go almost daily are they on display? Do you ask if any new ones come? How many arrive each week or day for that matter? Just wondering?

What Birkin do you want next?