Oprah's $40 Million School To Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Further...not only do I think spending 40 million dollars on a single school that plans to admit a maximum of 450 students is completely insane (and let's not kid ourselves here...when has Oprah ever made a donation that wasn't tax deductible??) but I tend to suspect that she's projecting her own issues here. I'm sorry if I refuse to see Oprah as this saint that she tries to portray herself as in the media...but I honestly don't believe that the underlying reason she's building this school is because of her desire to truly help people. She's building this HUGE extravagant school that will surely become a massive icon in South Africa and then she's deemed herself the Queen where she effectively gets to hand pick (using her special God given intuition) who gets admitted and who doesn't (and does ANYONE wonder what will happen to the poor girls that get rejected??).

I believe that if Oprah had a genuine desire to actually make a difference in Africa she would have done her homework (or paid the appropriate person to do her homework for her) and she would have discovered that what they NEED in Africa is not a hair salon or a yoga studio or a movie theatre. What they NEED in Africa is basic education, food, resources, etc. What would be useful in Africa is for someone to build 20 schools and pay 50 teachers salaries so that a greater number of children will get an education they can use. I guarantee these children would thrive even in the absence of a movie theatre and a yoga studio (nobody I know had yoga in highschool and we all turned out just fine!!).

So flame away nathansgirl...tell me I just need something to complain about...tell me I'm jealous because I can't take yoga myself....tell me I'm not making any contribution to Africa...but while the rest of the world is busy bending over kissing Oprah's rear end I'll still be shouting DOWN WITH OPRAH!! :wlae:

ITA!!!!!

What about the poor schools here in america? Detroit public schools need to raise 19 million to avoid closing schools. As of now they can't come up with the money. This district is poor and underserved. She says that she is helping in america however no one knows about it. Give me a break! Everyone knows when oprah helps people she puts it all over the media! That's wonderful that she's built a school in Africa. However, what about the kids here in America who need schools, new books, etc. ?? Oprah does what suits HER needs the best and she can cuz it's her money and it's great she doing anything at all. When you are rich that is what is expected of you to help others. Why not donate 40 million thats just 40 million less that the tax man can take for her. She wouldn't have done it if there was not a benifit in it for her.

Yes, so I suppose these kids in Detroit should have gotten all that money while the kids in Africa continue starve rot and die, right? I mean, they are so far removed from you so who gives a sh*t. It would be interesting to see the difference in the outcome of the kids that go to this school in South Africa compared to the inner city kids in Detroit. I know I'm being mean, but do you really think that the kids in Detroit will ever go without education?

I sincerely hope that for being so judgemental you are not only giving as much of your paycheck to those schools, but devoting all of your free time and energy into it as well. I'm sure you could sell a few of those bags in your avatar, and that would really help, don't you think? I hate to be a b*tch, but I just can't comprehend how anyone could judge her for this? because what I'm doing to you right now is the exact same thing you're doing to her. Sure she has alot of money, she has the finer things in life, but she gets to decide where she put it and how. Wouldn't you hate to be judged, especially after putting 40 million into a school? yes, of course you would.

Not everyone is going to agree, and everyone loves to b*tch about it while we sit on our butts. These kids deserve it!!! They deserve to have an amazing school with yoga and hair salons and all the things it would take to make them into bright young woman who are educated in ALL things to begin the change, to have a career, to help their country...to make a difference in the years to come. If you keep them in a hut with barely a pen and paper or school books, well yes its great that they have even that I suppose, but you are still keeping them down.

Almost every time I turn on Oprah I see her giving a scholorship to some kid who had nothing, was poor, took care of their whole family, went to a crappy school, but had perserverance and made it despite the odds. She's constantly giving to the states, perhaps we've been watching different programs for the past decade?!

If it was me, and all these people from the U.S. were complaining constantly and whining about all of her good-doing, quite frankly I'd say F-them! and continue to give to places who are much more appreciative, and deserving I might add. It really just blows my mind that people have anything to say.

What about the poor schools here in america? Detroit public schools need to raise 19 million to avoid closing schools. As of now they can't come up with the money. This district is poor and underserved. She says that she is helping in america however no one knows about it. Give me a break! Everyone knows when oprah helps people she puts it all over the media! That's wonderful that she's built a school in Africa. However, what about the kids here in America who need schools, new books, etc. ?? Oprah does what suits HER needs the best and she can cuz it's her money and it's great she doing anything at all. When you are rich that is what is expected of you to help others. Why not donate 40 million thats just 40 million less that the tax man can take for her. She wouldn't have done it if there was not a benifit in it for her.

Are you this critical of Angelina Jolie - there are plenty of American children that need adopting as well. I also hope you put YOUR money where your mouth is. Do you write an extra check as a donation, give books to the school library, volunteer time as a tutor? Its easy to sit back and criticize but do nothing. She writes 1 million dollar checks all the time. Here in Chicago she takes care of many children - this school in Africa is one of many things she does. I don't think she is a saint either but how is this act a problem? She is not the only person who should contribute - we all should.

Yes, so I suppose these kids in Detroit should have gotten all that money while the kids in Africa continue starve rot and die, right? I mean, they are so far removed from you so who gives a sh*t. It would be interesting to see the difference in the outcome of the kids that go to this school in South Africa compared to the inner city kids in Detroit. I know I'm being mean, but do you really think that the kids in Detroit will ever go without education?

I sincerely hope that for being so judgemental you are not only giving as much of your paycheck to those schools, but devoting all of your free time and energy into it as well. I'm sure you could sell a few of those bags in your avatar, and that would really help, don't you think? I hate to be a b*tch, but I just can't comprehend how anyone could judge her for this? because what I'm doing to you right now is the exact same thing you're doing to her. Sure she has alot of money, she has the finer things in life, but she gets to decide where she put it and how. Wouldn't you hate to be judged, especially after putting 40 million into a school? yes, of course you would.

Not everyone is going to agree, and everyone loves to b*tch about it while we sit on our butts. These kids deserve it!!! They deserve to have an amazing school with yoga and hair salons and all the things it would take to make them into bright young woman who are educated in ALL things to begin the change, to have a career, to help their country...to make a difference in the years to come. If you keep them in a hut with barely a pen and paper or school books, well yes its great that they have even that I suppose, but you are still keeping them down.

Almost every time I turn on Oprah I see her giving a scholorship to some kid who had nothing, was poor, took care of their whole family, went to a crappy school, but had perserverance and made it despite the odds. She's constantly giving to the states, perhaps we've been watching different programs for the past decade?!

If it was me, and all these people from the U.S. were complaining constantly and whining about all of her good-doing, quite frankly I'd say F-them! and continue to give to places who are much more appreciative, and deserving I might add. It really just blows my mind that people have anything to say.

:yes:

It drives me NUTS when people argue that the money should have been spent in the USA. I just don't see why charitable donations (and adoptions for that matter) need to be within a person's own country? We're ALL human beings living on the SAME planet. Why can't we applaud and support everyone's contributions (big and small) no matter where in the world it goes?

uhhh you can't be serious. All kids in America have a chance at education, the children in Africa do NOT. Why are people so concerned with their own country and not their WORLD? I just don't understand. This is OUR WORLD.

I just saw page 1... when it was a thread started to tell some news. Now I see page 9 and it is kinda all crazy.

Let's all let it be. Unfortunately, I need to close this thread- which is a pity because it is a great thread with a great story (we can all have our different opinions) but there are curse words flying (NOT allowed) and people got really mean to one another... mean about someone who is giving $40 million :shrugs:

Status
Not open for further replies.