Opinions: Silver/Gold HWs.....For ages 50 and up

For me, it's personal preference. I have gold undertone to my skin and gold adds warmth -- IMO. But as I've aged (45 now) and grey has shown up in my hair, I find I can wear silver more easily.

But I wouldn't say age (youth = silver; mature = gold) has a lot to do with it. I have an assortment of bags with various h/w because I like to match my purse metal to my jewelry.

Wow, this is interesting, because when I bought my black classic flap - long before I had discovered this forum - I wanted gold hardware but the Chanel store only had silver and I had a lot of money burning a hole in my pocket (you know that feeling, when you've got the cash and you need it NOW!), so I bought the silver. And at the time, I thought the silver seemed somehow younger, although I didn't know exactly what made me think that.

I had been planning on buying one with gold hardware because I wear a lot of gold jewelry but now that I have the silver, I realize it doesn't matter... at least, not to me.

I agree with previous posters that it's just personal preference. I will wear my silver hardware bag(s) until I die.

BTW, I'm 47... close to your "50" cut-off. ;)

I'm in the not so young group and for me it is mostly a matter of current preference with an element of the historical thrown in, as one poster suggested. I used to favor gold, and it was more "in" or at least more readily available and standard on a lot of bags at that time. I've moved into my platinum jewelry era at the moment, and tend to favor silver HW now that there are a lot of choices. There are certain colors that make a difference in what I choose and I still buy gold, too. For example, I will scale tall mountains, swim shark-infested waters, eat Kryptonite, etc. to get my red metallic 2.55 bag for spring '08, gold chain and all. :drool: I do think about bag style sometimes as an age thing, but not HW color choice.

;):yes: I think I am qualified to answer this question......ROFL!!!!!

Both the silver and the gold are great for women under and over 50 - I have both
and use them both. It depends only on the person's personal taste.

How about the new gorgeous bags with both silver and gold hardware on them,
they are gorgeous.....that way after 50 you won't have to worry about it....:girlsigh::heart:H

;):yes: I think I am qualified to answer this question......ROFL!!!!!

Both the silver and the gold are great for women under and over 50 - I have both
and use them both. It depends only on the person's personal taste.

How about the new gorgeous bags with both silver and gold hardware on them,
they are gorgeous.....that way after 50 you won't have to worry about it....:girlsigh::heart:H

OMGosh! That DRILL flap with the gold & silver hardware is so gorgeous in person [I am a little to close to 50 for comfort by the way], gotta agree with habanerita on this one. I think both are great, either separately or together.

I don't think age dictates hardware, or vice versa.

I think its more a matter of personal preference. For example, I LOVE silver hardware on most things, but prefer gold on others -even though I'm 23. And, my mom who is 60 is the same way. (Although she prefers more earth tones like brown/beige, while I'm strictly black/white... but that probably needs a whole other thread!)

Besides, pretty much all classic Chanel styles transcend through time, its just how YOU choose to rock it. -I'm confident that I'll be a granny and still toting my baby pink classic flap! :yes:

p.s. on another note LVCRAZED, congrats on hitting your weight loss goal. I'm in the process of trying to loose weight before graduation, and I totally respect anyone who can hit that goal!

Hmm..I never really thought about this issue before. If there is a choice in hardware for a particular bag I want, I choose it based on the style and colour of the bag. Say, *wishful thinkingly* if I were to buy a birkin, in blue jean - GHW, orange - GHW, havanna croc (!!!!!) - SHW. :love:

Actually, I think my mom wears my dk silver reissue better than I do (that's SHW) and she's 47. I think the dk brown with GHW suits me more and I'm in my 20s. Age reversal? Hahahaha

I never really think about gold vs silver hardware on my bags. The only decision I ever really made was when I purchased my first flap. I decided to do it with silver because I was told it was a little more modern and harder to come by. I buy what I like and realize that most of my Chanels have silver (my Medallion has gold,) but I never really thought about the hardware before. Does that make me ageless?? Or clueless? I'm 55.
When I wear jewelry, however, I do make an attempt to match my metals (never with the bag, however) My original wedding band was tri-color gold, so I have been mixing my whites, roses, and yellows forever. I'm old school. I like my diamonds mounted in platinum or white gold.
--Judy

p.s. on another note LVCRAZED, congrats on hitting your weight loss goal. I'm in the process of trying to loose weight before graduation, and I totally respect anyone who can hit that goal!

Aww, Thx so much Janny!!!!!!!!:flowers: That is so nice of you to say...:shame:
Well, GL on your weight-loss!!!!!!!! (...and know you'll get there eventually...) It takes time....Just keep your mind focused and on your goal!! :tup:

I never really think about gold vs silver hardware on my bags. The only decision I ever really made was when I purchased my first flap. I decided to do it with silver because I was told it was a little more modern and harder to come by. I buy what I like and realize that most of my Chanels have silver (my Medallion has gold,) but I never really thought about the hardware before. Does that make me ageless?? Or clueless? I'm 55.
When I wear jewelry, however, I do make an attempt to match my metals (never with the bag, however) My original wedding band was tri-color gold, so I have been mixing my whites, roses, and yellows forever. I'm old school. I like my diamonds mounted in platinum or white gold.
--Judy

When I first got my jumbo flap with silver....I had some issues with my jewelry (gold, 2 rings: wedding and anniv) matching the hardware on my bags. Made me crazy!!:wacko:
I posted a thread about it and everyone told me it was no a big deal and not to worry about it. WHEW! LOL!! So I got over it...;)

I like to match things.....(and seeing u like to match your metals also) It feels good to hear you reiterate what others have said, in that you never match your bag HW with your jewelry. Aww....:smile: Thx!!:tup:

:lol::lol: <-----Love this guys little twitching Nose/mouth action!!

Here's what I think.....I am a 50 plus chickie and my experience is this: Metal colors fall in and out of fashion. For the last 10-15 plus years, white gold, platinum and silver have been all the rage. Before that , yellow gold was the thing to have. With that said, I think that younger women came of age to spend some disposable income during the time of white metals and therefore, they are thought of as "young". Its as simple as that. Ask your grandmother what color were big in the early years of the 1900's. It was platinum and white gold, again!!!

I did not think of that. It does make sense. I am in my 40's and yellow gold was "it" when I was in high school & college. I do prefer yellow gold, but I have and wear white gold, espcially since my husband got me a white gold wedding ring.

I am not concerned about wearing myh sh chain Chanels when I am over 50. As I tell my son, if I am ever old and in a nursing home, I intend to wheel around blasting my Pink Floyd, Rush and Metallica :rochard:, so gold vs silver, I will continue to use both.

I'm in my 40's and I've always HATED gold hardware! I still love silver and would pick silver, pewter, white gold any day over Gold, in jewelry, and in handbags.

That being said, my SA's and husband say that gold hardware looks good with my skin tone! I don't think it matters what age you are...If you don't like the bag, you won't wear it!

Naaaaaah - where what you like, I say!:wlae:

Actually when I was in my early 20s, I much preferred gold, and now some years later (far from 50 tho), I prefer silver on bags, but have both, and wear both silver and gold jewelry a lot (not too worried about matching everything either).

I agree that silver is more casual and gold dresses things up. Silver also seems more suited to warmer weather to me and gold for colder (not a hard and fast rule).

I'm more of a white gold/silver person. saying that yellow gold seems to be coming back into fashion.
In the end, it's not age but personal preference. As a few have also mentioned, it also depends on the bag - some bags just look better with yellow gold.
I'm in my mid 30s now and when I'm 50, would still like to be able to wear both gold and silver hardware and not care whether it looks too young (or old) for me.