The Jewelry Box

Opinions on two-tone vs solid colored Rolex?

bem3231 Posted By bem3231 Posted Jul 23, 2012

1. Hello, everyone!

Many of you have very helpfully chimed in on my previous post helping me to select a Rolex watch for my upcoming 40th. That post can be found here:

http://forum.purseblog.com/the-jewelry-box/please-help-me-choose-rolex-i-need-your-762403.html

Thanks in large part to your input, I have further narrowed down my choices to either the 31mm solid 18 kt yellow gold with President bracelet, or the 31mm two-tone ss/18kt yellow gold. At one point I had decided on all-gold for sure, then I started second guessing myself as many whose opinions I solicited in real life thought that the two-tone was a better option.

This got me to doing a bit more research and reading on two-tone watches. It seems that some love them, and some hate them (this is true of anything, I suppose). However I also had a look through the celebrity watch thread and noticed that there are virtually no two-tone watches featured there.

This got me wondering about why this is? It seems that most celebrities have solid toned watches - yellow or white. I'm sure that it's in part due to the fact that the cost of a solid gold (or platinum) watch would not be a limiting factor for celebrities, but I do see a lot of white gold / steel celebrity watches as well. It's not that I put a lot of stock in celebrity trends, however I do take it as a bit of a barometer read on the state of fashion and styling.

So, I have a few questions:

1) What is your opinion on two-tone watches (Rolex specifically)? Are they still a 'classic' choice, or not?

2) Could an all-gold watch still be worn with white metal jewelery and accessories? I would get a white (or silver) dial, which I think would tie into my rings (which are all diamonds in platinum). I am wondering if a gold watch would go with other white metal jewelery. For instance, the other night I was wearing a black one-shouldered cocktail dress that had a belt with silver beads at the end. I wore my silver CDC and another silver bracelet. I was wondering if I had an all gold watch if it would have looked ridiculous, or ok? What is your feeling about mixing metals?

I am having a really hard time with my deliberations, so I really appreciate any and all feedback! I'll post a photo of a 31mm all gold and a 31mm two tone for reference...

Thank you!!:smile:

2. Hhhhmmmm... I can't say that I would really even care if celebrities are wearing TT or solid-colored watches or not, but to each their own.
    Personally, I have a solid-colored Rolex and it got boring. It just didn't seem right when I was mixing and matching metals. I ended up purchasing a TT Cartier Tank and it's perfect.
    To answer your questions specifically, yes, certain TT Rolex styles will always be classics. Also, yes, I don't think that wearing an all-gold watch would look right if all of your other jewelry is white metal.

3. I do have two rolexes: one w/ two-tones and one is stainless. The two-tones allows me to mix with gold custom jewelry and bags w/ gold hardware also with white metal options. In addition, I also wear my husband rolex blue face two-tone.

Most of my jewelry in white gold or platinum. Then I wear my stainless if I want all white metal for that day.

I still have not answer your question yet, aren't I?!? Yes, I agree w/ vhdos that certain style is classic. I don't think it's weird of you mix metal. You can layer w/ another bracelet.

4. Im kinda "black and white" when comes to my watches. I have a SS datejust 31mm, YG ladies datejust 26mm, SS Daytona 40mm, which I think gives me enough versatility to mix and match. Its really up to you how you like to mix metals, personal preference i guess.
    My try to layer my solid gold with a wrap bracelet here:
    View attachment image-2586728827.jpg

5. I have a SS Rolex and TT one. The tt is muuuuuuch more versatile and much prettiee, if uou ask me. Some wg/yg combos look good, some don't. The thing is that if you see yourself wearing 2 kind of metals together, why wouldn't you like the tt watch? Anyway, if it's your first/only Rolex, go with the tt.

6. I agree with vhdos and madelinne. I have a ss and I'm quite bored with it now. I wish I had gotten a tt. I'm hoping to do a total make over someday, and change the face/bezel/ bracelet to tt, but that will probably cost as much as a new watch...

7. I have 3 rolexes:
    26mm women's 2-tone w/diamond markers
    31 mm ss rhodium roman jubilee
    silver air king with blue face and orange numbers
    I love the 2-tone but I must say it is quite small. I think it is more of a "dressy" watch than an everyday sporty watch. But I do see some people wear 26mm everyday. Personally, I don't care for it. A 31 mm 2-tone would be better!

8. Yes, I did some research on a make-over for my SS Rolex (MOP, diamond marker dial) and it would have cost me a small fortune to make it TT (a TT jubilee band and a gold bezel). I decided that my money would be better spent on a new, TT watch and I purchased the Cartier TT Tank.

9. Oh I was thinking of doing the same! If it costs too much to do the makeover then I was thinkibg of getting a tt Cartier :smile:

10. If I had the option of a TT or all YG Rolex, I'd get the YG w/ Pres. bracelet! And I absolutely think you can wear it with WG and silver tone jewlery without any worries, mixing metals looks very cool and less matchy-matchy than wearing just one tone. Years ago I was always frustrated if my bag had YG or brass hardware and my boots or jewelry were silver tone or WG, but I started always mixing metals on my jewelry and now I think WG looks great next to YG. I wear my SS Rolex next to my YG Love bracelet every day, and I plan to add a RG Love too so that I have all 3 metals mixed together. I'm sure a YG Rolex would look amazing next to your silver CDC, I'd wear that in a heartbeat!

11. I think you should get what speaks to you and not what celebs wear or what others think is 'classic'. I own a YG cartier and a TT Rolex. They are completely different looks. I feel like the TT is more versatile, can be mixed with both metals, whereas my YG I tend to only wear with only YG jewelry.
    Not to say I don't lust after a YG Rolex, they are different looks and competely different price points.

12. I'd go with the TT. I'm personally lusting after a TT Daytona with Tahitian Black MOP diamond dial! :graucho:

In an ideal world, I'd have an all white gold watch, a rose gold watch, a yellow gold watch, a SS, and a TT! :p

Out of all those, especially if you're mixing metals, I think a TT allows the most flexibility.

13. Another vote for TT! I'm also in the market for a new watch and considering a DateJust in the same specs you listed - TT ss/18kt YG white-dial 31 MM. I like how the watches look in a solid colour but most of my favourite bracelets are YG (and it goes better with my golden-olive skin tone), while my wedding set is platinum/diamonds. The TT appeals to me because of its versatility. GL and happy early birthday!

14. You and me, both, sister! :cool: And don't forget the watch with diamonds all over the bezel and bracelet!

15. I have it w/o the diamonds and love it - though the dial is kind of hard to read. Who cares, eh?:biggrin: