One Year's Maternity Leave

1. What do you think of this new change in law for Mothers in England ?

One year's maternity leave for all mothers regardless of length of time with company

2nd October 2006

[​IMG] A change in the law guarantees all women 12 months maternity leave

Women will be able to take a year's maternity leave even if they get pregnant on the first day of a new job, according to controversial new laws.
    The new rules, introduced on Sunday, were slammed by business groups which fear they will cause chaos for companies around the country.
    In a further blow, they force firms with less than five staff to keep open a job for a woman who takes maternity leave.
    Under the old regime, small firms - which find maternity leave more difficult than larger firms - were exempt if a woman took more than six months' off.
    A spokesman for the Forum of Private Business said: "It leaves small firms open to abuse from employees who start a new job in full knowledge that they intend to take leave early in their employment."
    The new rules apply to all working women whose baby is due on or after 1 April 2007.

Until recently, a woman had to work for a firm for at least six months before she was entitled to take a whole year's maternity leave. On Sunday, this rule was ripped up.
    A woman can now join a firm on Monday, get pregnant on Tuesday and take a full year's maternity leave.
    This will create a situation where women who have worked for their employers for less than 12 months then leave to take a year off work.
    To make matters worse, employers of all sizes are obliged to keep open their job for the whole year.

It will benefit around 400,000 women every year, according to the Department of Trade and Industry.
    Since Labour came to power in 1997, maternity and paternity leave have been made much more generous.
    The new rules mean all women whose babies are due on or after 1 April 2007 will get nine months' paid maternity leave.
    For the first six weeks, she will get 90 per cent of her salary. For the remaining 33 weeks, she will be paid about £110 a week. If she takes a full year, the remaining 13 weeks is unpaid.
    By 2010, Labour wants paid maternity leave to be extended to a full year.
    Fathers are also getting a better deal. At present, they get two weeks' paid maternity leave at £108.85 a week but this is also due to be increased, possibly to up to 28 weeks.

One of the rules, welcomed by businesses, is that a woman must now give two months' notice about her return to work, rather than just one.
    Bosses had complained that it was difficult to organise cover for somebody on maternity leave who could return at such short notice. Another popular new rule are 10 'Keeping in Touch' days, which allow a woman to go into work during her time off without losing her maternity pay.

2. I think it's great for the mom and baby but could have an adverse affect on the business if the temp/replacement worker is not good. However I DO think there should be a minimum amount of time worked before someone can take a paid year off.
    I am a school teacher who is currently on maternity leave. Since I had my baby in May, I was fortunate enough to have the whole summer and then be able to take 12 weeks as per FMLA, of course this is unpaid. I am also fortunate in that there is an excellent, experienced teacher in my room during this time.
    I would have loved to take a year off but most school districts won't let you take a leave if you've been there less than 2-3 years.

3. I think it's great for the mom and baby but could have an adverse affect on the business if the temp/replacement worker is not good. However I DO think there should be a minimum amount of time worked before someone can take a paid year off.

Yes, I totally agree with you here, I'm still amazed at this new Law. But Like you say its great for Mom and baby, yet you can understand how business's may suffer.

( Congratulations on your baby :heart: )

4. The intention and notion is great, but it's unfortunate that it hurts small businesses. There should be some sort of regulation for the survivability of smaller companies. That said, maybe a tiered system would be better? I would love to take a year off if I ever manage to have a baby.

5. It's not like that in the US right? I'd think there'd be a huge backlash if that was proposed here in the US.

6. This new change is absolutely absurd. It is very detrimental to small businesses.
    And maybe even medium-sized businesses as well.

7. Any changes with paternity leave? How do these interrelate in the eyes of the law?

8. The laws as they stand in that article are very strict,and will definitely impact on companies of less than 5 people.
    In the long term i think that this will lead to companies being reluctant to employ women of childbearing age in the first place,as has been the case in Sweden where extended maternity leave has been mandatory for many years.

9. Does the company pay the mother's salary? If so then I think this can be very hard on small businesses. This can also lead to discrimination of younger women in the workplace.

10. I think it's a great idea. If the leave is unpaid all it does is guarantee the woman her job back after a year, it doesn't cost the company anything to put a temp in her job for a year if they are only paying one person. Also, there seems to be an assumption that a woman will take a job and get pregnant right away. I would like to believe most women think about it and plan a little better than that. ;)

11. We have the same rule in Canada....mothers are allowed 1 year maternity leave (unpaid)!! I think it's great!! :yes:

12. Overall, I think it's a good thing. I also think more companies should have provision in place for mothers/fathers to work from home; to reduce the time they are away from their children.

In the UK, it is not uncommon for people to spend up to 4 hours a day, commuting to and from work!!! :wtf:

This would also have a positive effect on the environment.

I think too many companies are too concerned with how many hours people spend in the workplace, as opposed to how much work actually gets done (and done well).

13. i think in a whole picture way it seems like a great idea.. but for a company tis not good ...

no.2 girls that come in will do that just to get preganant. do you get wha ti mena. like come to a new job fall pergenat then go away later.. get wat i mean. is it paid the one yr maternity leavE>

14. If the leave is unpaid it's alright...but like I said earlier if it's paid by the company business will suffer.

15. US Maternity is AWFUL compared to other developed countries. In the US, you must be with the company for one year in order to be eligible for 12 weeks UNPAID leave. You may be able to get longer than 12 weeks depending on what state you live in, but Federal law guarantees you 12 weeks leave at a minimum. For example, in Connecticut you get 16 weeks unpaid leave.

Some companies offer Short Term disability benefits, which is typically 6 weeks at 100% of salary. So 6 out of the 12 weeks are paid. It really depends on the company. Some companies are more generous but most companies are not.

To get an idea of how much the US sucks in regards to maternity leave compared to other nations, check out this article:
    The Future of Children - Sub-Sections