One of my Mom's cats is being put down tomorrow :-(

1. I am so :crybaby: right folks have had two indoor kitties, brothers, for almost 12 years and they are inseparable.

One of them, the really funny one with the ding-y personality, has been battling kidney failure and the vets are amazed he's held on as long as he has. But now he's thin, not eating, not bathing himself...he is shutting down and is even not snuggling next to his brother at night as if he 'knows' something isn't right.

I just found this out tonight and they are taking him to the vet tomorrow. :sad: I know it's the right thing but it's so hard to say good bye :crybaby:
  2. Oh Pursegrrl, I'm so sorry! I was just thinking the other day about the inevitable time when I will have to do the same thing for my babies! It's so sad!! {{Hugs}} to you, your Mom and Dad, and the brother who will be left behind.
  3. ^^ thank you so much for the hugs...those kitties are so close...they do little meow crying sounds when they don't see the other one for just 5 minutes.
  4. I'm sorry to hear that, Pursegrrl. :sad: It's such a difficult decision to make because he is part of your family.
  5. awww pursegrrl!!! :sad: i am so sorry i am crying a little for you right now i know you are SO sad

we just put my dog to sleep about 2 weeks ago and it was heartbreaking but she too was shutting down and when an animal isnt happy in life any more its the better thing for them,,, they just drift off to sleep :sad:

Its like when we go to the dentist or surgery and they put you out, you just get sleepy and go out, its just with the animal after its out they then give it something else btu they just know sleep!

We alsso had to put my old kitty to sleep for kidney failure veryyy common in older cats and it was the sister of a sister brother duo who too were inseperable :sad:
    The other cat will be ok tho just give him lots of love!

and just a suggestion dont know where you are from but for our dog we had the vet come to the house and put her to sleep here so she wouldnt be scared, she was in her own home and we just pet her and held her as always and she didnt even know anything happened it was very peaceful she didnt have to be scared of the vet or anything
    SO :smile: just an idea maybe there is a place in the area that can do that for your parents cat just to make it a little easier :smile:
    :sad: im sorry though its heart breaking i know how you feel i miss you doggy so much!
  6. That is so sad :crybaby: . I am so sorry that you have to go through this, but it is for the best. You would hate to see him go on suffering. {{hugs}}
  7. My condolences. I too was tearing up when I read your post. Just two years ago we had to say good bye to my precious kitty who was with me for 15 years. She was suffering from old age, and yes kidney failure, and losing her senses that we knew it was the right thing to do for her.
    We did adopt another cat who we love dearly, but my precious life long feline will never be forgotten. I'm so sorry....
  8. This is very sad, but our pets depend on us to do these difficult things for them. My heart is with you and your parents and kitty.:heart:
  9. I'm so sorry to hear about one of your mom's cats! Best wishes to ur family and his brother cat!
  10. So sad to hear the news about your Mom's beloved cat. Deepest condolences.
  11. Oh I am so sorry to hear this, I know the heartbreak well!
    Hugs to you & your mum & I feel so sorry for the poor brother who will also miss him so much but he will get loads of love I am sure.
  12. I'm so sorry for you and your family. This is always such a hard time and it doesn't go away, it just feels less painful over time.

Prayers and thoughts for you!
  13. I'm so sorry. Just remember he won't be in any more pain. He lived a long, well-loved life. Allow yourself to grieve his loss, it's okay to cry about it and feel sad. It will get easier. It's been over a year since we put our dog to sleep, and while I'm still sad that she's gone, I have found ways to remember her and honor her life. Losing a pet is so hard... my thoughts are with you and your family.
  14. Aw Pursegrrl, I am soooo sorry :cry:
    Also Slush too for your recent loss as well.

Even though it is the right thing, I can still imagine it being the most difficult thing.

Make sure you give his Brother lots of love (or space if that's what he wants). It will be as difficult, if not more, for him. He wont understand what is going on (like you guys will). He will have to grieve as well :sad:

I am so sorry for all of you :crybaby:

It's okay, stay strong :heart:
  15. Thank you all again for the kind thoughts (((hugs))) back to everyone. I don't have pets myself (used to years ago) so these two cats were part of the family and I would take care of them all the time when my folks would go out of town...

We're doing OK...the other Brother seems OK but he is a more aloof personality most all the time so who Mom is really upset still Dad had to take the cat to the vet. My BF also called my folks to give his condolenses and told my Dad he and I want to get Mom a kitten for Mother's Day. Hoo boy, he had mentioned that idea to me earlier, but I told him to hold off because it's just waaaaay too soon for everyone to think about that as much as he means well. Well, now he knows.

We are all going to be OK...great memories of a very fun and silly family member...we always called him a 'dog trapped in a cat's body' because he loved to play fetch (really!) and always ran to the door when the doorbell rang just like a dog does.