One of my dog's is not doing so well

simseema17

Homo sapien
Jul 14, 2007
To make a long story short, this is his history:

Rescue, we fostered him and ended up adopting him

He had clusters of seizures earlier this year...he's on phenobarbitol...seizures got worse, so his med's we up'd

they also did some tests on him and think he has polycythemia....basically making too many red blood cells so he's on meds for that as well

last night he's been pacing around, didn't eat his breakfast, threw up some liquids this morning and hasn't been acting the same....today he's just sitting around and not acting like himself...usually he's crazy at home....he usually harasses my other dog, but they're both not really interacting

I'm worried for him

I was going to make an appt to take him to the vet this week....sunday the only thing open is the emergency vet....i've only taken him there when he's had a cluster of seizures

I was going to make an appt to take him to the vet this week....sunday the only thing open is the emergency vet....i've only taken him there when he's had a cluster of seizures

Honestly, if it were one of my dogs, I would have her at the Emergency Vet so fast! I know its usually more expensive, Ive taken Mariah to our 24 hour vet and it was $75.00 JUST FOR THE VISIT! But I just couldnt imagine something happening to my babies.

Ok, I'm going to go to the emergency vet now w/my husband...i'll update you on what happens....

My husband is frustrated because things seem okay money wise and then we always have to go to the emergency vet and spend a minimum of $200....in february we spent $3000 on our one dog to figure out what's wrong with him...

this is so frustrating :sad:

I am so sorry to hear this. One of my dogs has seizures and it is so sad to watch. Bless you for getting your pup the medical care it needs. I'll be anxious to hear the update!

Ok, I'm going to go to the emergency vet now w/my husband...i'll update you on what happens....

My husband is frustrated because things seem okay money wise and then we always have to go to the emergency vet and spend a minimum of $200....in february we spent $3000 on our one dog to figure out what's wrong with him...

this is so frustrating :sad:

Aww Im so sorry :sad: That does suck. But, I guess its a risk we all take when we bring a furbaby into our lives:s Ill be waiting for the result of your visit.

Waiting to hear. Like Irishgal said, pacing is a bad sign.

I know it's expensive, but if something bad happened and it could've been treated earlier I'd never forgive myself.

so we're back! good news I guess....his temp, respiratory and stool is fine, so the vet thinks maybe he ate something not so great, threw up and has been just recovering....so they gave him fluids and something for his stomach....

I guess that's pretty good, considering his history....at the e-vet they were saying, "wow he has 6 pages of history here"

I swear, I think our little guy just wants us to spend money...or maybe he wanted the needle back in his arm (just kidding!)

thanks for all of your messages....I was going a little crazy today while my hubby was working....hopefully he'll be fine this week.....we're going to las vegas next weekend so I"m REALLY glad it was nothing much

thanks guys! :ty:

YAY! Im soooo happy its was nothing, but it sucks you had to spend money on nothing lol. Better safe than sorry!!
Yay for Vegas next weekend!!!!! Its getting coold here! But, Im sure nothing compared to NY lol