Once you take the leap....is there no going back?!?

I am not new to Hermes myself. I remember distinctively my first purchase at Hermes was a Garden Party that I used throughout graduate school. It was subtle, durable and I love her. I have bought a Hermes scarf, which I lost*so sad*, and recently purchased a twilly to go with my Garden Party. I have gone to the Hermes store last week to look at their leather book and it was quite an experience. Although I am on the waiting list for a Birkin, I started walking around and looked at other bags they offer. Saw a fuschia Ostrich Kelly =) The leather is amazing on all their bags. I am begining to appreciate Hermes' overall products instead of only wanting a Birkin.
Am I going to be purchasing only Hermes products from now on? Probably not. I still like variety and appreciate what other brands offer sometimes too. But I must admit, Hermes can be quite addictive.

USD 1300 for an Hermes bag is a great deal. For any other bag, USD 1300 is A LOT of money, I couldn't bring myself to spend it. No way.
I didn't really have designer bags before, I started with Hermes pretty much right away.
Dipping my big toe into the Rubicon which I was about to cross was painful (or 'mad' as my mother said). Was it worth it? You bet! I can't bring myself to go back. The other bags just aren't as nice (there's always some flaw I find) and they don't make me as happy.

I only bought my first H bag two days ago and am surprised by how much pleasure I get from wearing a Birkin. It is also really functional for me as a work bag. I am a shoulder bag girl normally, but the Birkin is an absolute joy to own and use. I wear it for myself and for the general public equally.

I will still have Bottega Veneta items in my wardrobe as well, such as their classic campana, veneta and clutches. I believe BV is very close to Hermes in terms of leather quality, workmanship, service and producing timeless classics. Apart from these two brands though, I am planning to sell the rest of my fairly large collection. I am about to order my second Birkin two days after buying the first one, so yes it is a slippery slope!

Nope, there is no going back. I bought 6 scarfs in the last 2 months. The DH has actually told me to stop when I bought no. 5. But he just bought one for me yesterday again. :roflmfao: It's great when you can catch the DH in a good mood. :graucho:

I may have leanings for other brands in styles that H doesn't offer, but ultimately I don't think I will actually spend the money on them as they are seasonal items.

Since getting my new Kelly, I have so much appreciation for her, and I'm going to slowly enjoy her. Every new bag I've looked at since pales very much in comparism to her!

It started slowly. A Coach bag bought from the outlet, a kate spade off e-bay. Thinking $150 for a bag was expensive. Then it was off to retail, kate spade was my addiction. $500 for a bag, no problem I think I have several months of mortgage payments in my front hall purse closet! The Speedy, the Paddington (fab find at Saks at an after Xmas clearnace - a cross body Paddington for $800!!!), the about 20 spades.

Then it got real bad, my first H. It was innocuous enough. An Herbag for a awesome price off e-bay. (I still couldn't rationalize paying almost $2000 for a purse!) However, it was the GM size and way too big for everyday. It looked smashing on my travels, though. Oh the compliments I received! Then the MM sized through a vintage auction. Still not yet quite bringing myself to part with the money that could get me a new Alma and a Daimer Azure Speedy.

It happened. I heard that the Herbag was being discontinued. I dove in, hit the H boutique and haven't looked back. Got the perfect PM Herbag in a rich chocolate leater with tan and dark brown bottoms. I used to change my purse out almost daily, now it's been my Herbag for the last month! Next is the Dogon wallet followed by the Picotin. I still can't justify that $5000 for the Kelly. Yet.:P

You're right. It really is a bit of a slippery slope. Once you take that leap, that Hermes addiction kicks right in, and the withdrawal is tough to get through. (Believe me, I've tried!)

You know, French women have it right.

The same goes for h bags. They are prized, and often saved long and hard for. It is not unusual for them to be bequeathed from one generation to the next.

j'adore Paris--I agree with you. One of the great things about Hermes is that you can pass your items down to the next generation and so on. With great care they will still look as beautiful as when you originally purchased them. :smile:

Yep! There is no turning back once you have "crossed over" to the orange side. However, there are a multitude of benefits of having a bag that is so classic that it last generations.

I still buy other brands but have been shedding them slowly. I have stopped collecting Chanel, LV, Dior and Chloe and weaning myself from Balenciaga and BV. Though I have to say BV bags are really understated.

There is also no other brand that I can think of, where one can bring an old/vintage bag back to the store and have it refurbished or parts changed.

Many times, once a bag that is out of season, nothing much can be done.

i have started loving H recently when I got my first birkin from france last april. I found myself admiring the colors and leathers. But I haven't let go of my chanels and LV. Sometimes there is a need for instant gratification. But I find myself admiring H the most. The quality is remarkable and nothing compares to the craftsmanship of the bag.:love:

I agree with with the fact that with Hermes, these are truly an investment. I personally don't get the same feeling when I carry other bags. Not to say I don't appreciate and respect the history of Chanel or LV---I do, in fact I have 1 LV and 1 Chanel. But with Hermes.....that gives me the butterflies!

Actually, my one and only love has been Hermes. I've gotten other purses along the way as gifts and they now reside with other family members as gifts. The first bag I saved and saved to buy. I was angst ridden over spending all that money on ONE purse, but once I took her home and realized I got my money's worth, there was no going back. I guess I'm the opposite. I can't justify spending $1000 on an It-bag, but have no problem plunking down way more than that for one I will love for the rest of my life. It goes hand-in-hand with the very French attitude of less is more, I guess. I'd rather have one item of high quality, than 10 of moderate quality. So, to answer your question, there was no going back for me.

What she said........:yes: