once a c-section, always a c-section, and how many c-sections can you have?

1. so I am pregnant with number 2, and as I mentioned in a few threads before, I tried hard to deliver naturally but in the end had to have a c-section with my son.

I recently moved countries and my doc here in the ME told me that the chances are higher to have a c-section the second time as well (and I am really hoping to manage natural birth this time...) and also that they couldn't induce labour once you had a c-section (apparently it is not allowed here..) I got a bit upset when I heard that again I might not be able to deliver naturally....

anyone have any experiences with that?

also, we wondered how many c-sections you can realistically have? at the moment we think 2 are enough but you never know, right?
  2. This is something that is constantly changing. In my mom's day (having babies in the 70s) it was once a c-section, always a c-section. Then it changed to you could have one c-section, and then have or try to have one natural. Now, it's going back.

You have to remember, scar tissue is not elastic and can break. Induced labor is harsher than natural labor (contractions are more forceful) so that puts more pressure on the weak spot which is why they don't want to risk a uterine rupture with an induced labor.

Now, the trend is returning to once a c-section always a c-section is because insurance companies or hospitals are required to have two doctors for a c-section and not all hospitals have two surgeons available. If they can't guarantee that, then a woman cannot have a natural birth, so a c-section is scheduled.

I do think it's common practice that only one c-section is allowed to try for a natural birth.
  3. My friend had 3 C sections but they had to do two different incisions. My other friend had 2 because she is so small and baby so big...
  4. Some doctors will let you have a VBAC (vag birth after c-section) but every case is different. I will be having my section in about 4 weeks (my second) due to the chances of uterine rupture and a high risk pregnancy.
  5. I used to work in labor and delivery.. I'm working in the emergency room now.. buuut...
    It actually depends on the cut of the c-section. If your first was a vertical cut, (some countries and some circumstances still call for these) it is harder for the tissues to heal together strongly enough to tolerate hard labor contractions. I have not seen a physician in the hospital I worked willing to take that kind of a risk, although.. I'm sure it is not improbable.

However, if you have a horizontal cut, with the grain of your tissues.. it is much more likely that your physician will be willing to allow you a vaginal delivery/vbac. It is much higher risk, and should definately be done in a hospital under the supervision of medical staff. There is a higher risk of uterine abruption, which you should definately read in to. The risk factors are different depending how long ago your last delivery was.. if you have had a successful vbac in the past etc.

I have seen many successful vbac deliveries, some even with pitocin and cytotec inductions. Make sure you have an OB that you trust, because even if you plan a vbac, you should be confident enough in their education that if they start your induction and suddenly decide there is risk.. and they need to section you.. you should waste no time in letting them move quickly. The doctors and nurses will be monitoring your baby's heart rate and your contraction pattern for signs of distress.

Be careful not to get your heart set on a "perfect delivery". Just try to stay flexible and remember the most important outcome is a healthy baby and a healthy mom, not how he or she got here. (Strangely enough many moms needed to be reminded of that.. when their birth plans didn't go the way they had hoped.)
  6. My first was a c-section after I was induced for 2 days and didn't dilate at all. So I guess that proves my body doesn't go into labor. Now I'm preg with my next and will have another c-section. I heard that you shouldn't have more than 3 c-sections but I don't know for sure either and I'd like to know. I've noticed that Drs. don't like to comment on it so that patients don't freak out...
  7. I had to have a c-sec with my 1st after pushing for 3 hours, they tried everything and he was really stuck. So when I was pregnant with number 2 they told me that I could try vbac but they didn't recommend it. I have had 3 c-sections now. This last one was a pretty rough recovery and honestly I still don't feel right, it's been 3 months.
  8. While I didn't have a c section, my friend actually switched doctors with her second because she was determined NOT to have another one, and he kept telling her she had to have another. Her new doctor encouraged her to try vbac, and not only did she deliver the way she wanted, she also did it drug free.
  9. I had emergency C-section on my first baby then Vbac natural delivery a year after...
    and I will have another baby soon too and will try for another natural.
  10. I had one C section & could have had a normal birth for the second if it hadn't been for complications of baby being transverse lie. However, after two sections they won't consider any other way. At the time I was advised not to have another that two was tops but I know someone who have four C sections!
  11. i ended up with two c sections but my ob was encouraging me to try for a vbac until a day or two before (when it became clear that wouldn't work)...i agree it really depends on your doctor so if it's important to you definitely discuss it with him/her now and let them know your preference...also she did tell me that once you've had two cs all subsequent deliveries will be but she never mentioned any limit (although i was pretty sure i was done so it wasn't really an issue)!

eta...congrats and good luck!
  12. My 1st was an emergency c-sec. Now, I am preggy with my 2nd. My Doctor told me that I can do a VBAC, if I want to. I told him that my mind is already set for a c-sec, since I had already experienced some labor before my 1st born had to be delivered via c-sec (labor was not fun at all for me when I experienced it. LOL :shame:smile:. He said, that's okay. He also mentioned that if I change my mind.. to let them know in advance because I can have a VBAC in case I change my mind.

About the # of pregnancies a woman can have via c-sec.. I heard, a woman is allowed to have 3 c-secs. Of course, there are some women who has had 4 c-sec (my friend's ex wife had 4 because they were trying to have a boy. LOL), then her doctor advised her to have her tubes tied because the doctor didn't want to risk her getting pregnant again and eventually risk her life as well.

Again, like the other ladies here said.. it's a case by case basis. Depends on the doctor who is seeing you and also depends on your health.
  13. My first baby was going to be a planned homebirth. I ended up with pre-eclampsia that turned into HELLP Syndrome, and had to be put out completely with general anesthetic for an emergency c-section. With my second baby, I saw a doctor the whole time (b/c I was worried about the recurrence of pre-eclampsia), up until the 40th week. The pregnancy had been picture perfect the entire time and so at the last second I switched to a midwife and had my second baby at home with no complications at all.
  14. My sis-in-law is an OB/GYN and we had a long talk about this, since her whole opinion of a doctor I was seeing was shaped by his opposition to VBACs (she's very pro, unless there's a compelling reason not too, and apparently somewhere around 60-80% of women have a successful VBAC.)

There is a slight chance of a uterine rupture, which as estella said, depends on your cut from your previous c-section (the uterine cut is not necessarily the same direction as the external one on your abdomen, btw.) If you had a low horizontal cut, the risk of uterine rupture is under 1.5%. There's some great info at http://www.americanpregnancy.org/labornbirth/vbac.html

As others have said, in the US, a lot of doctors/hospitals won't do it for malpractice reasons; it may be the same by you. If you want to do a VBAC, I would plan to do some research and calling around. If your doctor won't do it, check if it's a hospital policy. It is in some cases, and if it is, then any doctors who deliver at that hospital won't do it. You may need to find another doctor and/or another hospital if that's what you really want, but chances are good that medically, you could have a vaginal birth.
  15. This is very good info. I delivered vaginally with my first and had a c-section with my second. My c-section was because of fetal distress and not because I wasn't dilating. That was over 6 years ago. I plan to try vbac this time.