OMG! Phhhuuuaaa!!!

socal, you always come up with the best comebacks. I think the press has made the birkin out to be an unobtainable handbag unless you're a celeb or high end socialite, so for her to see you with one, she was probably trying to figure out if she missed something and maybe you are someone really famous. Let her keep on guessing.

My very favorite part of this story is at the very beginning, with asking for "change for a dollar" - then progressing on to a legendary object of desire! I'm sure she was just too shocked to have an edited reaction.

I have been asked that a few times, regardless of whether I was carrying an H bag, LV bag or even a Prada bag. My usual comeback has always been "What do you think?" followed by "If you say so..." regardless of whether they said it's real or fake.

The question also usually came from the same two people and since I never gave them the satisfaction of a "real" answer. They eventually gave up asking that question.

The first time this question was posed to me, I admit I felt offended but since then, I've had so much fun seeing their varied expressions when they hear the same response. :graucho: I guess they finally got the message - their opinions don't matter either way...(heh!)

I bet she was just in awe. If you're not really familiar with them like we are, Birkins are an urban myth - she probably figured you had to do 'a Samantha' to get the bag.

Okay, we have a contract attorney who is in the office today. She is only in once or twice a month! Well, she asks me if I have change for a dollar, sees my Black Birkin bag (where the back of the Birkin is facing her) and says "oh wow that's a really nice looking bag, what is it?" I coyly say "a Birkin" and her jaw practically drops - she is looking at me like this :wtf: and then says "Wow, a Birkin - A REAL ONE?" I then say "uh-huh" :confused1:

What in the heck was that? :roflmfao: How are you supposed to respond to that?

You know, I usually think the worst of people but in this case...well, it struck a chord with me it was exactly the sort of 'foot in mouth' tactless comment I might make (to my shame). She obviously admired your bag, spotted the quality etc and knew about Birkins as she recognised the name as soon as you said and she probably knows how hard they are to get, how expensive etc; it may have even been the first Birkin she has seen IRL, her comment might have been more 'wow in real life, a real Birkin' with awe rather than insinuating a fake.

Anyway, I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt. But it is a useful lesson for me to for future reference and my big mouth!

I loved the response re: recycling cans, I'll try and remember that one, thanks

well, it struck a chord with me it was exactly the sort of 'foot in mouth' tactless comment I might make (to my shame). She obviously admired your bag, spotted the quality etc and knew about Birkins as she recognised the name as soon as you said and she probably knows how hard they are to get, how expensive etc; it may have even been the first Birkin she has seen IRL, her comment might have been more 'wow in real life, a real Birkin' with awe rather than insinuating a fake.

Anyway, I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt. But it is a useful lesson for me to for future reference and my big mouth!

:roflmfao: :roflmfao: :roflmfao:

From reading your posts here, Allaboutnice, I'm certain that the reality is that you're the soul of kindness and discretion.

But oh man, I thought EXACTLY the same thing you said--her comment sounds like something gracelessly vocalized, easily misunderstood comment that I occasionally get my stupid big mouth into. I wouldn't be thinking a single unkind or insinuating thought.

This would be why I prefer the written word.

love the recycled can comment....to think it was 'fake' is sooooooooooo tacky especially when it's soooooooooooo obvious what wonderful quality leather/craftmanship is used with Hermes.....there's suuuuuuuuuuuuch a HUGE difference in the real thing vs. fakes....she truly couldn't tell??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!