Omg Im Cutting Up Fakes ! Lol

Oh I just saw this thread. I think you are doing the rigth thing Steve. What can you do with a fake bag!? Nothing really! Anyways, be careful when you are destroying them. I would love to see the pics! Hurry up!

I guess I have to go against the norm here (story of my life) and say that I would not cut up these fake bags. Granted he can to whatever he feels with the bags as they are his, but for me I would look past the fact the bags are fake and see that they are gifts from family and friends. To me the sentimental value of it outweighs the unfortunate fact that the bags aren't authentic. I would never purposely destroy something that was given to me, whether it’s a fake bag or acid wash pants-they're gifts!

I guess I have to go against the norm here (story of my life) and say that I would not cut up these fake bags. Granted he can to whatever he feels with the bags as they are his, but for me I would look past the fact the bags are fake and see that they are gifts from family and friends. To me the sentimental value of it outweighs the unfortunate fact that the bags aren't authentic. I would never purposely destroy something that was given to me, whether it’s a fake bag or acid wash pants-they're gifts!

We may need to talk about the acid wash pants :smile:

Well, Michelle,

I see your point here. The bags are gifts and it's the thought that counts right? I can understand that but if I were to receive fake bags as gifts, I am not sure if I would be happy or angry or be angry but act happy.....:sweatdrop:

I would rather receive something inexpensive, like a non-designer bag, or other small gifts, rather than fake bags - did the person think I wouldn't know, or worse, did the person think the rest of my bags were fake too? I think I would feel rather insulted privately.

If the person knew I love LV, and decided to get me a fake LV bag, isn't that the greatest paradox ever? How could a LV lover not be able to differentiate her bags? Duh--

*hating fakes* :yucky:

^ITA!! I adore sentimental, thought out gifts... but they don't have to be fake or expensive.

Also, by giving the bags away... that's prolonging the life of another fake, and I know you might argue that taking a couple fakes off the market won't do anything, but it's a step in the right direction. (and I've received fakes before, too from friends who visited Asia which I also destroyed, if everyone did that don't you think it would begin to make a difference?)

if one were given a custom made platinum setting with a 2 ct diamond that had been made in the likeness of a designer setting would it be the right thing to do to smash it with a hammer? what is the consensus on this?

I would bring the ring to a respectable jeweller, ask him to take the 2 ct diamond out and make it into something else, that's not an imitation of the designer setting.

2-in-1 solution. I get to keep the diamond (hence the gift) and look original with it too. Maybe can do something with the platinum as well!

In any case, for someone who's willing and able to buy a 2 ct diamond and custom-making a platinum setting for it, would they want to "copy" a designer piece?

if one were given a custom made platinum setting with a 2 ct diamond that had been made in the likeness of a designer setting would it be the right thing to do to smash it with a hammer? what is the consensus on this?

There are four things in my opinion that add "value" to an item:

Sentiment - I agree with everyone that there is a certain value that's not measurable when you receive a present. However, if the present has no use for you after a period of time, are you obligated to keep it? If it no longer serves is purpose, most people would give it away or throw it away. Presents are given but the sentiment is never lost.....sentiment isn't held by thread or canvas but in the giver and receiver's hearts.

Materials - The actual material that the item is made out of gives value. In your example, the platinum setting has value because it is made something precious -- diamonds and platinum -- the setting is irrelevant. Those materials do not lose their value if they are altered for the most part, so smashing it would be a lose - as for cutting up fake LV, the materials are not value and the product cannot be altered to create something else of value.

Brand - LV is a brand that is respected. To have fakes roaming around is devaluing the fact the every person in this forum spends ALOT of money on LV based partially on its exclusive brand presence in the market.

Craftmanship - Regardless of what people say, LV bags for the most part are made to last. Fakes are not -- so why keep them or give them to someone? That is like saying -- hey I like you but not enough to give you a real LV since you know what you are giving is fake. As for the angle that maybe the homeless will want it or use it....honestly short of the larger bags that can be used to carry stuff, I doubt that most of the homeless will be sporting Noes or Sac Plats in the near future for functionality. If you really want to help the homeless, donate what you think the fake bag is worth to an organization.

So yes --destroying a platinum ring that is set in a rip off of a particular setting STUPID. Cutting up fake LV...GO FOR IT

actually, i follow a jewelry forum and it is done quite frequently. of course, the maker has to do something very minor different to stay out of hot water but as i understand it it is not noticeable. no, i do not own one.

just so i have this clear, does that mean you only are principled enough to destroy a fake if it has very little monetary value? what about the argument that it is illegal and taking profit that is due the artist or designer?

this topic is all over the board frequently and i am just trying to get a handle on the different opinions.