Workplace OMG, career on the line...what do I do?!

ITA with 86leo as well and also the other advice you've been given. Start writing a diary every day of everything that happens. Even insignificant events may become important later. And be strong, it must be so hard not to want to break down, but don't let them have the satisfaction of seeing they are getting to you. You sound like such a smart lady already from all you've been through. Keep us posted.

Start looking hard for another job, even if you think they don't exist in your area. It's a thousand times easier to find one while you have one, and if they are building a file on you, you are not going to have this one much longer. The issue here is that someone is going to take a bullet for the $50,000 chargeback, and your boss is going to make sure it isn't him. That leaves you. So don't sign anything, get a lawyer, and find another job. Because you're going to need one very soon.

Document everything and don't leave one piece of paper at work about it.... Also make sure your stuff is safe. My friend had major problems with work and she caught them changing/adding things to reviews she signed. One thing she always did was make a copy before she signed the papers. Well things were added. She got the new copies from HR and her bosses knew they would be caught. She was stupid enough to have the huge files of papers in her car trunk and told someone at work..... So one day someone went in to her locker at work/only higher ups had a key to get in and someone took her car key and went in her car and took all her files. It was all too convienent for them to disappear......she knew they were stolen by her bosses. So lesson learned is keep quiet, contact a lawyer and watch your back.
I wish you the best. I hope your boss gets in major trouble over this.

Sarah,

don't sign it and tell the VP from dallas what happened and that's what happened. you're not signing anything and taking the fall for anyone.

Iknow as scary and end of the world it may seem, you're better off sticking up for yourself and losing the job. the alternative would be to sign that lie and then they company might termininate you anyway.

at least you have your dad's lawyer on retainer to help you. you're much further along with the resources than alot of us.

in the meanwhile, job hunt. this work envt of yours does not sound good. go to a different city if you need to

and what the other girls said was very true. get an external harddisk and back up all your email and communications etc etc and anything at all. if they decide to terminate you they will get security ppl to see you pack your stuff and you'll not get access to your email and all.

Good luck gal!! tell us what happens....

And also do not talk to anyone in the workplace about it. No one. Even if you think someone is your friend do not talk about it. It will get back to someone. And by the way, if an employee gives a piece of work to their boss and the boss uses it but does not check for spelling, grammer or whatever it will always be the employe's fault, not the boss. That is how things generally work.

So true! Never trust anyone in the workplace, especially if they seek you out to "commiserate". They are the ones who will take your info and spread it back to the manager. This happened to me once and I'll never forget this "colleague" of mine. She caught me during a very vulnerable period between managers and the next thing you know, the managers were out for my blood!

Your boss sounds like he thought he'd take credit for your work at the last minute, but since he didn't know about the problem (maybe good idea to have brought this to his attention tho, or maybe you did and he just didn't bother to listen) he put the blame on you when it didn't work to his benefit.

Unfortunately, to stand up for myself might risk losing my job-- and jobs in my career field are impossible to find in this area. I plan on telling my boss that I'm not going to take the fall for his error and I am going to refuse to sign anything that isn't 100% true and accurate.

As far as harassment goes, I don't know exactly what constitutes harassment, but my dad said that this is illegal and I plan on contacting my lawyer-- an old friend of my father's who is on retainer for my family. I'm just so sick over this.

You really shouldn't sign anything. Don't take the blame for someone else's screwups. It's a good idea to talk to your lawyer and tell your boss that it was HIS responsability to do the job if he took it away from you. You know what happened to me so you know stupid people with power trips will do anything to cover their asses.