okay..not to be a prude

okay I know I'm gonna get booed but how about a teen forum? Under 18? Gotta get your parents permission to be on the adult side? I know, it sounds very big brother doesn't it?

I s'pose, none of us would swear right in the face of our boss (if we have one) and none of us would swear AT a big scary person carrying a loaded semi-automatic weapon and foaming at the mouth. That's self-preservation. ;)

Respect - the preservation of other people's feelings - is to not swear in front of children, clergy people, or elderly relatives who we honour and do not wish to upset.

I swear occasionally in everyday life but those are things that come out of my mouth, usually of-the-moment and under pressure, but here we all have the option to preview our posts - and check that we haven't posted an oopsie. :weird: :lol:

I'm glad that HINTING :lol: at swearing is pretty much "use with care" though as, come on, if you swear you sometimes need to express things in the language you're used to! :nuts:

But to repeat my earlier point in the other thread on this, swearing AT other members? NO. :noworry:

Cx

bagnshoofetish said:
okay I know I'm gonna get booed but how about a teen forum? Under 18? Gotta get your parents permission to be on the adult side? I know, it sounds very big brother doesn't it?

very 1984. :-P

but seriously, it's in the rules- but the first post seems quite unneccesary. If you don't like what you see, stop looking at it?

It's just the OP's personal opinion - she doesn't care for swearing. You can look away, but you can't actually look away until you've already seen it. ;)
No big deal - some agree w/ her, some don't. We obviously prefer no swearing as it IS a rule in our TOS.

SwankyMamaof3 said:
It's just the OP's personal opinion - she doesn't care for swearing. You can look away, but you can't actually look away until you've already seen it. ;)
No big deal - some agree w/ her, some don't. We obviously prefer no swearing as it IS a rule in our TOS.

:-P I know. I'm feeling bratty today, not sure why! :shame:LOL.

I don't have any problem with profanity. I figure we're not in middle school anymore, so who cares?

It really doesn't say anything about your vocabulary if you swear; in many ways, swearing can be fun... sort of like the icing on the cake of language.

Also... at the end of the day... all swearing is just an adjective that our society has "deemed" to be bad.

If you don't believe me, try swearing in a foreign language. It has absolutely no meaning to you, or even if you know the meaning, it doesn't affect you in the same way. It does this simply because you haven't yet been "conditioned" by the foreign language. I learned this the hard way, as I would (for fun) constantly use "putain" on the phone with my French friend. She would always say, "SHHH... my grandfather is visiting and he will hear you." But, I wouldn't feel nearly as comfortable screaming out a comparably translatable English expletive.

...well, okay, maybe I would, but that's just me.

John

There's a new swear/abbreviation thingie I learned on this board, that I seem to see all the time (actually it might just be a couple of people who use it frequently) It's OMFG. I might be wrong in what I think it means, but it seems a little crass. Not that crass bothers me <g>

I don't notice that it's an issue either. That's what I've maintained all along.
Just wanted to point out that we're not all adults here becasue people use that phrase pretty often around here, KWIM?

Well..it wasn't my intent to start a brouhaha..and as should be obvious..it is true I can't just not look at the swear words..because you have to read them to know they're there:amuse: I don't really mind the use of astericks..and acronyms and things like that..but I had noticed a sudden surge in the use of B**** lately..granted I am on at a different time than most of you and so maybe all of the potty mouths are in my time zone:shame: certainly I don't expect anyone to conform to my standards..and as some of you have stated..yes it is just my opinion..but I don't think civility and tact and just basic good manners esp. in light of the younger set that frequent this board is out of order. So that's my piece, such as it is..BTW I do occasionally swear IRL but somehow seeing the words typed or typing them myself seems so crass. Once again..that's just my very humble opinion.:noworry:

attorney-wife said:
Sorry clinkenwar,Changed my avatar........
AW..I honestly don't remember your old avatar..and I don't remember being offended by it..I think it's just the overwhelming use of the b word lately that set me off:shame: ..but thanks girl!!:love:

bagnshoofetish said:
IMO we're all adults here. I think using abbreviations is acceptable (ie WTF, sh**, etc.) because it shows some consideration and restraint. And sometimes nothing brings the point home like a good curse word sometimes! A swear word in print just look vulgar, like a bunch of sailors or something. Its a sad statement that decorum seems to be something that isn't important anymore because you are anonymous on the internet. I have noticed a deterioration in social grace because of the web. Kinda sad. Any public place is not the appropriate place IMO to just "say whatever you want". We still need to be respectful in here. If it's something you wouldn't shout out in a restaurant with people you can see, why would you print it in here with people you can't see? Use common sense, I say. (i'm going to try!)
I think you pretty much understand what I'm saying.. I am definately not trying to be a censor:shame: just still a fan of good old social graces!!:smile:

varsha624 said:
There's a new swear/abbreviation thingie I learned on this board, that I seem to see all the time (actually it might just be a couple of people who use it frequently) It's OMFG. I might be wrong in what I think it means, but it seems a little crass. Not that crass bothers me <g>

well.. it's just like .. an extra OMG excitement type thing. it can be oh my 'freaking' instead of 'effing' god...

iono if this applies to a lot of people.. but i know some people get offended and consider it cussing by just using "God"s name in vain like OMG or the like..

how bout the word 'damn'? iono.. i dont think that word much of a cuss word. but i agree with almost everyone here that cussing ABOUT things once in a while to truly express an emotion or moment in time.. is acceptable, by me.. however, cussing AT PEOPLE.. cannot be tolerated and totally uncalled for.