Scarves Ode to my Fixation

Hello! For those who have the hanging system at home, just want to check if you remove the plastic film on the magnet? I did not remove mine and they keep coming off which causes the magnets to become sticky. Went to check with Hermes and got different feedbacks - some said remove, some said no. Wondering if anyone here has the same problem as me? I have some pics for reference.

1st pic - original with the plastic film
2nd pic - film falling off

Thanks for your help~ ;)

Attachments

• IMG_2896.JPG
    IMG_2896.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 1,204
  • photo (600x800).jpg
    photo (600x800).jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 1,162
I honestly can't recall if mine had plastic on the magnets. Certainly they don't now, and I don't recall removing any plastic unless DH peeled them off when installing the posts. I would remove the plastic and use some cleaner to remove any sticky residue.

FWIW, I recently bought a 70 vintage carre sale scarf on the bay that was in great condition except for subtle round "crush" marks in the corners. They aren't really that obvious, and may improve with a wash, but they're certainly present on all four corners. On reflection, I'm betting this was a "fixated" display scarf and I thought you all might be interested to see the effect on vintage silk.

Images are of different corners (they all look similar) and show the marks on front and back. NOTE: these are VERY close-up photos, and the difference in color is due to light reflection, not fading.

Attachments

• Fixation marks on 70 carre front.jpg
    Fixation marks on 70 carre front.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 961
  • Fixation marks on 70 carre back.JPG
    Fixation marks on 70 carre back.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 945
Last edited:
FWIW, I recently bought a 70 vintage carre sale scarf on the bay that was in great condition except for subtle round "crush" marks in the corners. They aren't really that obvious, and may improve with a wash, but they're certainly present on all four corners. On reflection, I'm betting this was a "fixated" display scarf and I thought you all might be interested to see the effect on vintage silk.

Images are of different corners (they all look similar) and show the marks on front and back. NOTE: these are VERY close-up photos, and the difference in color is due to light reflection, not fading.
This is very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I too wondered if this would happen.

Reactions: angelusnovus01
Hi Everyone--I am still loving my fixation kits. I change the scarves seasonally or whenever the mood strikes me. It's fun and takes care of my art need on 2 walls. Sorry for the soft focus and low light.

Attachments

• Flacons1 small.jpg
    Flacons1 small.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 877
  • TourbillonEvelynePicotin small.jpg
    TourbillonEvelynePicotin small.jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 883
  • FoliesDuCiel1 small.jpg
    FoliesDuCiel1 small.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 879
  • Neiges Chartreuse small.jpg
    Neiges Chartreuse small.jpg
    447 KB · Views: 875
  • Neiges Detail small.jpg
    Neiges Detail small.jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 877
  • DarkNeiges1 small.jpg
    DarkNeiges1 small.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 886
  • Astrologie1 small.jpg
    Astrologie1 small.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 897
I am curious if anyone has attempted a DIY Fixation? I purchased my kit in May and hung it in my bedroom. There is nothing more relaxing to me than lying in bed and looking at all of the wonderful details of whatever 90 cm scarf has the honor of being "fixated" for the week. When I decided I needed a second to hang in my living room, the price had magically doubled! :sad: So now I am trying to figure out how I could replicate the system for less than $620USD.

I am guessing these magnets recommended by Mai Tai might do the trick for the magnet component: http://www.maitaispicturebook.com/2014/02/scarf-magnetism.html

Does anyone have ideas for what could serve for the "posts" or the "elastic bands" (surely that is not the technical term!)? I know it will never look as polished as the official Hermes system with the cute Clou de Selle magnets, but I am willing to experiment for the sake of using the $620USD towards 1.5 90 scarves!

TIA!

Wow, that's some price increase! I'm glad I got mine when I did. I'd suggest a trip to Home Depot. Surely there's some combo of screws and drawer pull/bath hardware/etc that will work. I can't visualize what type of material to use for the stretchy bands and how to attach it to the magnets, but I bet if you took the components to the hardware store or a sewing/crafts store, someone might have an idea. I hope you find something that works!

I am curious if anyone has attempted a DIY Fixation? I purchased my kit in May and hung it in my bedroom. There is nothing more relaxing to me than lying in bed and looking at all of the wonderful details of whatever 90 cm scarf has the honor of being "fixated" for the week. When I decided I needed a second to hang in my living room, the price had magically doubled! :sad: So now I am trying to figure out how I could replicate the system for less than $620USD.

I am guessing these magnets recommended by Mai Tai might do the trick for the magnet component: http://www.maitaispicturebook.com/2014/02/scarf-magnetism.html

Does anyone have ideas for what could serve for the "posts" or the "elastic bands" (surely that is not the technical term!)? I know it will never look as polished as the official Hermes system with the cute Clou de Selle magnets, but I am willing to experiment for the sake of using the $620USD towards 1.5 90 scarves!

TIA!

Yes, standoffs work great and you really have endless options for sizes and finishes. I used them for the last house I built, which was very modern in architecture. I had the house number etched on glass and top lit it so it could be seen from the street at night but wasn't obvious during the day.
The standoffs would work great as a Fixation alternative.
The magnets could be easily recreated with magnets backed in thin leather, much like they already are.

Standoffs:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=alumi...lIYHhoATpyoLAAg&ved=0CDoQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=593

Grey elastic bands:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-Girls-...essories&var=470453360945&hash=item27e91b4976

Or Silver:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cutie-Rub...Crafts_JewelleryMaking_GL&hash=item27e951d781

Thin grey leather:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Argentina-N...821?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item486aec1015

And MaiTai's magnet rec ;)

Attachments

• Standoffs.jpg
    Standoffs.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 707
Wow, that's some price increase! I'm glad I got mine when I did. I'd suggest a trip to Home Depot. Surely there's some combo of screws and drawer pull/bath hardware/etc that will work. I can't visualize what type of material to use for the stretchy bands and how to attach it to the magnets, but I bet if you took the components to the hardware store or a sewing/crafts store, someone might have an idea. I hope you find something that works!

Thanks ouija board!! I went to a local craft store yesterday and didn't find anything - good thinking on Home Depot to look at bath hardware/drawer pulls! I am so un-handy it is hard for me to imagine how to DIY anything but I am determined on this one. Will keep you posted!

Yes, standoffs work great and you really have endless options for sizes and finishes. I used them for the last house I built, which was very modern in architecture. I had the house number etched on glass and top lit it so it could be seen from the street at night but wasn't obvious during the day.
The magnets could be easily recreated with magnets backed in thin leather, much like they already are.

Standoffs:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=alumi...lIYHhoATpyoLAAg&ved=0CDoQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=593

Grey elastic bands:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-Girls-...essories&var=470453360945&hash=item27e91b4976

Or Silver:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cutie-Rub...Crafts_JewelleryMaking_GL&hash=item27e951d781

Thin grey leather:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Argentina-N...821?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item486aec1015

And MaiTai's magnet rec ;)

OMG BritAbroad you are AMAZING!!!! These stand-offs are exactly what I need and the elastics are perfect too -- I am so impressed with your knowledge!! Yesterday, I was googling like a moron for "silver posts" - had no idea what to even look for and could not find anything suitable. I then went to a local Michaels craft store yesterday to try to describe what I was looking for and the poor SA looked at me like I was crazy. But now I can order these components online and try to assemble my masterpiece.

THANK YOU!!!! :hugs:

OMG BritAbroad you are AMAZING!!!! These stand-offs are exactly what I need and the elastics are perfect too -- I am so impressed with your knowledge!! Yesterday, I was googling like a moron for "silver posts" - had no idea what to even look for and could not find anything suitable. I then went to a local Michaels craft store yesterday to try to describe what I was looking for and the poor SA looked at me like I was crazy. But now I can order these components online and try to assemble my masterpiece.

THANK YOU!!!! :hugs:

So happy to help you, kittyHawk! :flowers:
I have a spare set of 4 standouts and would've just given them to you, alas, I hunted high and low in the basement this morning to no avail. It was like hunting for a needle in a Warehouse 13 haystack - no luck, sorry.

Actually, you might be able to get a better deal on the leather if you look up tanneries in your area. You should be able to get leather scraps big enough for this project for free or at very little cost. I recently got some at my local tannery for a project I made for my Dad.
Display companies used to subcontract work out to me for all kinds of projects, from displays to trade shows but mostly scale architectural projects. Sadly 3D printers came along and made me somewhat obsolete, but I still love dabbling in it with side projects and love to help people with theirs!

Please do post pics when your project is complete, can't wait to see it! :tup:

Standoffs:

)

Perfect! They even look like the Hermes ones.

So happy to help you, kittyHawk! :flowers:
I have a spare set of 4 standouts and would've just given them to you, alas, I hunted high and low in the basement this morning to no avail. It was like hunting for a needle in a Warehouse 13 haystack - no luck, sorry.

Actually, you might be able to get a better deal on the leather if you look up tanneries in your area. You should be able to get leather scraps big enough for this project for free or at very little cost. I recently got some at my local tannery for a project I made for my Dad.
Display companies used to subcontract work out to me for all kinds of projects, from displays to trade shows but mostly scale architectural projects. Sadly 3D printers came along and made me somewhat obsolete, but I still love dabbling in it with side projects and love to help people with theirs!

Please do post pics when your project is complete, can't wait to see it! :tup:

You are so sweet BritAbroad - can I subcontract you?!?! I am in awe of your handiness and your helpfulness, thank you so much for offering your standouts and all your guidance. :hugs:I am going to cobble together these components via amazon, Home Depot and a local craft store (I don't think I can handle going to a tannery especially given all the skunky talk going on right now, but I hope I can buy some little scraps from a fabric store or even a non-leather alternative that will do the trick). I am also toying with the idea of embossing the magnets with some bling (like faux pearl stickers) or H ribbon, though that might be a little crazy.

I will definitely post pics when my project is complete!

You are so sweet BritAbroad - can I subcontract you?!?! I am in awe of your handiness and your helpfulness, thank you so much for offering your standouts and all your guidance. :hugs:I am going to cobble together these components via amazon, Home Depot and a local craft store (I don't think I can handle going to a tannery especially given all the skunky talk going on right now, but I hope I can buy some little scraps from a fabric store or even a non-leather alternative that will do the trick). I am also toying with the idea of embossing the magnets with some bling (like faux pearl stickers) or H ribbon, though that might be a little crazy.

kittyHawk, I'd love to see how your project turns out. The fixation set was around $400-500 Canadian dollars (no price increase early this year) until last month when it jumped up to $700! Even my SA suggested I get one this past spring but I didn't think anything of it until the crazy price increase.

Ooh, can't wait to see!! :graucho: