odd question: Does cracking your neck/fingers make them bigger?

1. I've developed the bad habit of cracking my neck to relieve pains...just moving it from side to side and in a circle to get rid of aches. Does this make our neck or fingers enlarged? I heard this from a couple of people, but thought it might be a wive's tale...like cracking your knuckles causes arthritis. Anyone verify?

2. I've heard that, too. I am not sure if it's true, though, so I just don't do it.

3. I really hope not because I crack my knuckles all the time. I know it doesn't cause arthritis but I read that it can cause soft tissue damage and loss of grip strength in your hands.

4. I think someone told me that it causes soft tissue (or whatever the spongy stuff that sort of lies in between the bones to prevent them from rubbing together) to be damaged and leak out of the joint, causing pain and enlarged joints.

5. ^ correct... as for your back/neck, it's not advised simply cause you might twist something wrong and cause nerve damage.

6. Ack! i hate it when i ACCIDENTLY crack anything on myself lol..i get sick to my stomach for some reason!

7. I crack just about every part of my body (neck, back, ankles, wrists, etc.) I've been doing so for years and nothing has gotten any bigger.

8. don't crack your neck it will lead to long term chronic pain... I started cracking when i was an early teen now i'm in my early 20s and its gotten worse.. do not do it! Stop while you are ahead! the short term relief is not worth it!

9. i don't even have to do it, it just comes naturally.

everytime i move, i keep cracking stuff for some reason. especially when kneeling down or stretching.

10. Me too!

11. I crack everything from my toes to my jaw. I do it without even thinking. I try to stop - and I did CONCIOUSLY stop cracking my neck when I was still in high school b/c I can handle big joints, but neck damage, no thanks.

Sometimes I get a pain in my elbow or fingers that will only go away if I crack it. I think I am a crack-addict. HA!

12. :roflmfao: :roflmfao: :roflmfao: same here...fellow crack addict!!

13. lol since I was like 9 or so I was told that Cracking your knuckles puffs them up :O I always fuss at people around me who do that lol