NYT Video: The Power of the Purse

1. Hey guys!
    Came across this really funny video about purses on the New York Times website. Just scroll down to about the middle of the main page: http://www.nytimes.com/

A reporter in NY asks a bunch of people if they would pay a lot of money for a purse and why. The answers are pretty funny. The reporter also films the window displays of boutiques like Chanel. Watch it!

2. Loved it! I am curious about the black bags they showed, though - they showed a window of black leather bags a couple of times, I think - I both times I was waiting for the journalist to say "...and what do you think about ..." and she didn't. Any ideas?

3. Yeah I was wondering that too...I couldn't identify them though. I loved that satin Chanel 2.55 in the window! The $3000 one hehe

4. Fun, thanks for posting....I think the black bags that were shown several times were made by Henry Beguelin (sp?)......great leather.

5. dcblam, whether or not they are, thanks for the new name! Henry Beguelin indeed it is - here's an article about him, which also includes their web site - I am in love with the People L bag ...http://nymag.com/nymetro/shopping/columns/shoptalk/9171/

And here then is the People L bag - now I'm on the hunt -
    [​IMG]

6. I watched that video and I thought the reporter was a bit cheeky asking that woman in Armani whether she ever felt guilty for spending so much money on a purse - ? It's her money, her choice, right? Isn't that what women's independence is about? The freedom to make choices? Was the reporter suggesting the woman was committing some sort of crime be spending 'so much money' on a purse?

I don't know, it just seemed rude to me. There's no way I could afford to spend $3000.00 on a purse, but I don't have a problem with other people doing it. Their money, their choice.

7. I think it would be rude for an individual to ask the question of another, but this was a reporter covering the phenomenon of expensive purses, and it seemed to be lighthearted. And the woman agreed to be interviewed.....

8. I think it was a fair question to ask. I think many people who don't own really expensive handbags wonder whether they would feel guilty about spending a lot of money on a bag. I don't think the reporter was trying to make her feel bad, just asking an honest question that a lot of us wonder about. I think it was interesting and fun :smile: