NY Times article on big bags

1. Big Bag Bigger, Biggest
    New York Times
    Sept. 3, 2006

It’s the year of the hefty bag: supersize pocketbooks that are substantial enough to balance out hoof-like platforms and wedges and roomy enough to carry three diet delivery meals or let sylphlike celebutantes climb in and hide from those hectoring paparazzi. The new U-Hauls are as wide as most female arms are long and are all about texture, contrast and high luxury. Below are seven bags for living extra-large.

1. The buttery soft Delancey Jessica by Rafé comes in cognac leather with chocolate brown braid detailing and a zip top ($595 at Gatsbys in Great Barrington, Mass., 413-528-9455).

2. A roomy midnight-blue cotton satchel by Marc by Marc Jacobs has knotted ties on each side, an interior snap closure and is a more affordable counterpoint to a season of extreme consumption ($148 at www.eLuxury.com).

3. An oversize hobo in gold python by Devi Kroell has been updated in metallic beige, burgundy, black anthracite, olive, bronze and silver, too ($2,890 at Devi Kroell in East Hampton, N.Y., 631-329-2700 or www.devikroell.com).

4. Cynthia Rowley mixes dark brown leather and moss green brocade to make a boho hobo with deliciously slouchy style ($525 at Cynthia Rowley in New York, 212-242-3803).

5. Yves Saint Laurent, the company that launched a thousand sore shoulders with its Muse bag, now introduces the Double, a tote that is fully reversible, in chocolate brown/bronze or black/anthracite ($1,195 at Yves Saint Laurent boutiques and Neiman Marcus stores).

6. One of the year’s fastest sellouts, the colossal shiny black Coco Cabas from Chanel is made of waterproof canvas with ruthenium metal details ($1,225 at Bergdorf Goodman 212-753-7300).

7. A teal calfskin fan hobo by Botkier is neat yet sexy, with two tasseled diagonal front-zip pockets and a front stirrup belt clasp (also in black and cognac, $695 at www.botkier.com).

2. i love big bags
  3. That Chanel one is ginormous!
  4. Yeah, I saw that piece on Sunday too. Being a Muse lover, I was particularly a*muse*d by their description of "Yves Saint Laurent, the company that launched a thousand sore shoulders with its Muse bag..." (Since I carry mine over my arm or by hand, I guess I don't have that problem!)
  5. I LOVE big bags. Most of my bags are big.
  6. big bags are awesome but I dont think everyone's def. of 'oversize' should be a the same size!!!
    I mean a 5'11 girl can wear a HUGE bag and looks just right for her but the same bag worn on a 5'0 girl will be a little too much I think...
  7. Time for me to bust out my Gucci Horsebit Hobo (LARGE!!, thankyouverymuch!). That is one monster of a bag on me, but I love it.
  8. The Marc by MJ cotton satchel isn't all THAT big, IMHO, esp compared to the other ones in the list. I saw it IRL very recently when a good friend bought one at Bloomingdale's, and if I didn't prefer a slightly more structured bag, I might have bought one myself.