Nutrition Tips for my Fellow PF's

1. OK everyone. I'm pretty new here, but since I've been reading the Health & Fitness section I keep seeing basically the same questions being asked. I am a personal trainer, group fitness instructor, and do nutritional counseling.

Most questions are coming from people trying to lose weight/body fat.

Basically each human being is genetically unique. Consequently, each of us has a unique set of nutritional needs. The same foods may have very different effects in different bodies. For example, some people function best on a high carb diet, others on a moderate carb diet, and still others are able to adapt to either. Some people tend to store excess fat very easily, while others seem able to eat all day and stay lean...and so forth.

You can't truly optimize your nutrition for your body by following general guidelines. The guidelines will take you most of the way, but to finish the job you have to pay attention to how various foods and eating patterns effect YOU. One helpful way to monitor the nutritional cause-and-effect in your body is to keep a food journal. Record everything you eat throughout the day, and also note how you feel and function after every meal.

Those concerned about body weight or composition, eat breakfast every day and if possible eat 5 or 6 times per day. Calories eaten in the morning are more likely to become heat energy than they are to be stored as fat. Starving yourself in the morning also tends to result in overeating in the evening.

Eating smaller meals frequently also tends to result in less fat storage than does eating large meals infrequently, because the amount of energy in a small meal is sufficient only to supply the body's immediate energy needs, whereas a larger meal provides excess calories that are not needed immediately and are therefore converted to fat.

Frequent eating also benefits performance in workouts and everyday activities by keeping your energy level fairly consistent throughout the day, especially if each meal and snack includes some carbohydrate.

And of course, eating lots of fruits and veggies is the most effective way to nourish your body for fitness and overall health. The reason is that the human species evolved on a diet consisting mainly of fresh fruits and vegetables, so we are genetically dependent upon these foods for optimal functioning.

I myself am a vegan, but do not push this upon anyone;) If anyone does want more info regarding that, there is a great book I recommend. "Diet For a New America" by John Robbins (of Baskins Robbins fame)

I hope this helps a little !

2. Thanks for the info!
    I'm vegetarian and I have trouble trying to find balanced meals, actually its mostly the protein I have a problem with. You always see these meal plans with all of these meat options for protein and then tofu at the bottom for vegetarians. Eating tofu every meal seems impractical. Is this the only option? Also egg whites don't usually go with a dinner meal.

3. Hey Danica. There are so many protein options for vegetarins and vegans aside from tofu !!

Whole grains, beans, (chick peas are one of my favorites-hummus !):love: vegetables- YES VEGETABLES have plenty of proteins in them, refined grains, lentils, legumes, NUTS have tons of protein.

One medium egg has ~5.5 grams of protein as compared to 1/2 cup of brown rice-YES brown rice is MORE Than just carbs- it has ~4.5 grams of protein.

Most people eat way too much protein believe it nor not, and just as with too many carbs, that excess protein gets stored as fat.:sad: For example, for vegans on a diet of predominately whole foods, a figure of .9 g of protein per kg of body weight is suggested. To figure out your weight in pounds just divide that # by 2.2. That is your weight in kg. Then multiply that by .9. So if one weighs, for example, 135 pounds, that's 61.2 kg and the protein requirement would be 55 grams. Now if you start reading labels on foods you will see that you probably are surpassing that #. Most people don't realize how much protein is in foods, PASTA included. Go read the label on a box of pasta.

You just might be surprised !:yes:

4. I love hummus too! I could probably eat it every day...I need to start making it again. I'm surprised that some rice and pasta has protein! Thanks for the tip, I need to start reading the nutritional value of the food I eat so I can educate myself and know what my choices are before I even begin making the meal. Thanks for your help Cassidy:flowers:

5. cassidyfit1 you are the first personal trainer who I know of that is a vegan....do you use any protein powder or do you just make sure that everything you consume meets your protein requirements?

6. Hey batgirl. I'm pretty good with meeting my protein requirements. Sometimes when I have smoothies or eat oatmeal I'll put in some (non animal based of course;) ) protein powder.

7. mmmmmm, protein powder in oatmeal. My favorite weekend breakfast.

8. cassidyfit1 I used to be a fitness instructor/gym manager/personal trainer/group fitness too!!

I'm happy to help answer any questions (along with cassyfit1) you may have, I completed a lot of training on nutrition and now work in herbal supplements/products