Now I know why they're so expensive...

1. The modern Hermès scarf measures 90cm square, weighs 65 grams and is woven from the silk of 250 mulberry moth cocoons. The per-pound cost of a scarf today is approximately $1,965.00 (compared to a pound of steel at $0.19).

2. A Hermès scarf is sold somewhere in the world every 25 seconds, global voluA Hermès scarf is sold somewhere in the world every 25 seconds, global volume sales peaking in the late 1980s at over 1.1 million scarves. There has been some suggestion that the hijab controversy has dampened sales of women's headscarves, with Hermès volumes suffering as a result.me sales peaking in the late 1980s at over 1.1 million scarves. There has been some suggestion that the hijab controversy has dampened sales of women's headscarves, with Hermès volumes suffering as a result.

3. The "legendary" Hermes scarf with 35 silk screen frames was "Celebration of the Sun-King" from 1994, and required 1200 hours to prepare the screens.

"A vos Crayons" is often mistaken for the Hermes Scarf containing the most colours.

4. The printers prepare their pigments to make a palette of tonnes of printing inks. The Brazilian silk is spread out on heated tables 150 metres long. This allows a batch of 100 squares, comprising forty colours, to be printed. After printing, seamstresses roll and stitch the hem of a square, by hand, in 30 to 45 minutes. The Lyonnaise factory can produce 40,000 scarves in a week. Every year, there are two collections, each of a dozen designs, of which four to six are classics with the colours updated.

Since 1937, Hermès has marketed 25,000 scarf designs. The absolute record, attained at the end of the 1980s, was 1.123 million scarves bought in one year with, at times, one scarf being sold every 20 seconds somewhere in the world.

5. I'm going to let my SA know that the scarf person at the scarf showcase gave me the wrong info :p

Thanks for posting this, GF! Now I have to look for "Celebration of Sun King" scarf.

6. Anyone have a photo of the "Celebration of Sun King" scarf?

7. Thanks for the information GF!!!

8. I look at it all as a work of art and therefore, the reason for the cost. It is difficult to place a price on art.

9. Fabulous info GF! Thanks!

And, yes, KB, I agree - they are such works of art!

10. :yes: Me too!

11. ;D they are gorgeous :biggrin:

12. . . . and worth every penny!!. . .

13. ...and I'm off to buy yet ANOTHER!!!!!

14. What a great thread!!! I'll have to pass this along to friends.

15. ITA