Not sure how to deal...

ticklemethu said:
Yes I will. If I don't, does that mean I am not considered worthy?

Well, I'm not an expert. But extensive travel to Islamic countries has taught me that Islam as a religion cannot be practiced cafeteria-like. Its sort of an all or nothing thing in terms of the Five Tenets of Islam. You either are or you aren't.

Roo said:
Well, I'm not an expert. But extensive travel to Islamic countries has taught me that Islam as a religion cannot be practiced cafeteria-like. Its sort of an all or nothing thing in terms of the Five Tenets of Islam. You either are or you aren't.

I am or I am not, I still believe in 1 God. I believe thats good enough to a point. Plus prayer.

:heart:

I agree with Roo, In Islam you have to be fully committed. It's not a religion that can be practiced doing only certain things. You have to be able to commit to all the beliefs and practices that Islam calls for.:flowers:

Give a newbie a break. I'm still learning. :smile: Thanks

There are Muslims who seem to be committed taht pray 5 times a day and etc, but no one is perfect. As to there are Catholics ( and others) who are not either. No one is perfect.

ticklemethu - Have you thought about discussing your concerns about your father with the Imam at the mosque? Perhaps they would be of some help and could give you guidance.

Ticklemethu ~ Of Course, You Are Still Learning! There's Nothing Wrong With That. I Commend You For Enriching Your Life As You Are. & You Are Very, Very Strong!

I Do Know Others Who Have Converted To Other Religions (Mostly Judaism). Most I Know ~ Have Converted For Marriage. We Do Have A Friend Of Our Family (Just Recently Graduated College), Who Just Converted From Catholism To Judaism.

I Do See Convertions Though My Synagogue & Working In The Jewish Community....Quite Often.

I Have Heard Parents Struggle With It. Parents Are Parents. It's Very Hard. You Are Part Of Them. But, Than Grow Up To Be You!

If You Ever Need To Talk ~ I Am Always Here.:heart:

Iweenie said:
I agree with Roo, In Islam you have to be fully committed. It's not a religion that can be practiced doing only certain things. You have to be able to commit to all the beliefs and practices that Islam calls for.:flowers:

I agree with you guys! Islam is very complete and comprehensive, which is why new reverts are encouraged to take things slowly, and not just dive right in...otherwise they would get overwhelmed!! So ticklemethu is doing just fine focusing on her prayers... and slowly learning.

tickle: as for your dad, you have to be careful b/c alot of negative things are associated with Islam these days... so telling him straight out that you adhere to ISLAM might make him upset/mad/worried especially if all he knows about islam comes from the media...
I think that you're dad's constant encouragement for you to come to church even tho he knows you don't like it is a sign that he wants you to be "ok" salvation-wise... and i think that if you simply tell him that you have found a way to pray and connect with God that is fulfilling to you... hopefully he will appreciate and respect that...

In the past couple of weeks, there have been articles in People Magazine about why some people decided to switch to Islam.

I'm kind of like you in some way. I was baptized Catholic and brought up Catholic. Lately, though, I've come to realize that I'm more spiritual than religious. I believe in God and try to follow the ten commandments. I came to that decision because, while I respect people who get spiritual fullfillment out of organized religion, I can't support some of the things done in the name of organized religion.

To me, going to church and parroting back whatever the priest says doesn't equal spiritual fullfillment. To me, it's more of a 'show me rather than tell me' type of thing. Which is not to say I wouldn't go to Sunday mass with my aunt and uncle if I'm a guest in their home. Would I participate? I don't know.

I think it is good to go to church if you have the spirit of community, but I don't.

I think God and I have good relationship. I've been through some stuff in my life and He helped me through it.

ticklemethu said:
Why. Because Islam religion makes WAY more sense to me than Catholism did.

As a child I have always been questioning Catholism. And now that I am a lil older, I found that Islam makes WAYYY more sense.

But, even before I found interest in Islam, I already had became distant with the Catholic church. The people, the PRIEST, just everything didn't feel right. Feels like people don't attend church for the right reasons anymore. Maybe is it just me, or just MY own church ,It's like a weekly Fashion show, gossip central, and ..BS.

May I also add, I do not want to offend anyone whos Catholic or whatever, this is MO, and my personal choice.
I am an orthodox and I must say that my church is the same "fashion show, gossip central" every sunday. It is sad ,because I know that people have changed it and it has nothing to do with what orthodoxism teaches

ticklemethu what is it about Islam that appeals to you specifically? There are other religions that do not have the stringest rules Islam has, did none of them appeal to you? I am curious as to what drew you to Islam...

I'm a Protestant. Was born and raised Protestant. I used to go to church and Sunday school every week because of my parents especially my mom made me do it. But ever since I moved to Canada 10 yrs ago. I stopped going to church but it doesn't mean I don't believe and practise my religion. I jsut don't see any point of going to church every week and listen about the same thing. I believe that if you have a good heart, in the end that's what will count more than anything else. But then again, though I've stopped going to church and I don't consider myself a religious person, I still pray and I DO believe in God and I'm very proud of my faith. Does that make any sense?. And as a Protestant, I also believe in 1 God and do not pray to a statue. Actually there's this family member of mine, my cousin actually he married a Muslim girl and she converted to Christian in order to marry him. Her family wouldn't even attend the blessing at the church except for her sister. Actually Islam and Christian is quite similar. Jesus is known as Isa al-masih is Qur'an. And he's mentioned many times in many verses in Qur'an.

Good thing about breaking some news to someone via e-mail (or a letter?) is that they cannot interrupt and have to read the message whole, without digressing off down side-roads.

I wish you good luck in your honest work to follow your heart and your conscience!

Cx

DRSM said:
I agree with you guys! Islam is very complete and comprehensive, which is why new reverts are encouraged to take things slowly, and not just dive right in...otherwise they would get overwhelmed!! So ticklemethu is doing just fine focusing on her prayers... and slowly learning.

tickle: as for your dad, you have to be careful b/c alot of negative things are associated with Islam these days... so telling him straight out that you adhere to ISLAM might make him upset/mad/worried especially if all he knows about islam comes from the media...
I think that you're dad's constant encouragement for you to come to church even tho he knows you don't like it is a sign that he wants you to be "ok" salvation-wise... and i think that if you simply tell him that you have found a way to pray and connect with God that is fulfilling to you... hopefully he will appreciate and respect that...

I totally agree on all accounts. It is important to convert to Islam step-by-step. Concentrating on your prayers is an excellent way to start. If you do not fast in Ramadan, you are definately not considered unworthy. However, it would be a great experience for you to possibly go to your nearby mosque and see what Ramadan is all about.
As far as breaking it to your father, I agree with DRSM about breaking it to him slowly due to all the negative connotations about the religion these days. Maybe you can start a discussion on Islam with him and see how he reacts, so that you know what to expect when you tell him that you have converted.
In the end, it is important for you to remember that you are doing this for YOU, not for your dad and not for your friend. You have found what makes you happy and what you believe is true, so do not let anyone get in your way to happiness.