Not eating past 7pm?

1. Well, it's the new year and time to start my healthy eating / diet anew. I gained after eating all of those lovely treats over the holidays.:tdown:

I'm trying to be as strict as possible and one thing I always read about is people not eating past 7pm. I've been trying to do this, and so far I've been sticking to it, but I'm wondering, does this really make a difference? How about drinking (as in water)?

I don't normally get to sleep until sometime past 12am, so would it really make a difference if I ate a little later, like 8pm?

Does anyone else do this?

2. I think the idea behind this is that if you do not eat after 7, you will not go to bed with food in your stomach and therefore less of your dinner will turn into fat. I'm not 100% convinced that this works, but I can't see how water could hurt you, since it does not have calories.

3. I can't imagine doing this. DH is military and has to work night shift sometimes and I stay up and wait for him. I would be starving! Maybe you could instead do 'Don't eat x number of hours before you get in bed.' That might be more accomodating than just an arbitrary 7pm.

4. I think this is correct - the idea is that if you eat then go to sleep soon after, all that energy has nowhere to go, so i stored as fat in your body.

If you go to bed quite late, you could probably get away with eating later, as you say, around 8pm. I think the danger is inertia - if you eat at 8pm but sit on the couch all night, you may as well be asleep! Perhaps you could go for a walk before dinner every night to get your metabolism going?

This diet would nevr work for me, as my appetite is voracious at night. I don't really eat much during the day, but need a hot, full dinner every night or I think i would pass out :p

5. Your body doesn't care when you eat - what matters is what you eat and how much. If you're eating the same amount of calories every day to lose weight (1500 calories per day, for example), it doesn't matter when you eat them.

Eat when you're hungry. Just count your calories, watch your portion sizes, and choose unprocessed, whole, natural foods that will fill you up.

6. I've always eaten before 7pm...it's a great habit..that way your body digests your food properly and better than eating past 7 and going to bed early....which is not good, in my opinion.

Also, I recommend going for a long walk after a big meal..

7. I've been doing good not eating after 7. After 7 I am not that active.... most active during the day, so it'd just sit there. By not eating after 7 it's easier for me to get breakfast down since I'm not big eating 1st thing in the am. It's also easier to get up in the morning for some reason.....

8. my lifestlye is too busy not to eat after 7...i dont even get home till 7 most nights. but i follow your theory, if im up till midnight, y not eat a little later? i just make sure i eat light. plus i work out when i get home, THEN eat, so my metabolism is up. helps with digestion and i get tummy aches if i work out after eating.

9. Absolutely agree, Calories in Calories out! That 7pm thing may work for people that wake up at 5 and go to sleep at 9 but everyone is different. I don't think I EVER eat dinner before 7 and I'm 5'6" 113 pounds. ITA with Cristina, no reason to put it in my own words.

10. I guess that may be helpful for some people, but I've never been able to put a curfew time on when I eat.

11. I think that this is recommended b/c most ppl eat dinner before this time and then, it is just snack zone time.

Personally, I could not do it. I am normally not done w/ work for the day by then.

12. its true!

just like that old west indian song "dont eat an lie down (3x) large gut? big belly!! large butt? Mucho bellie!!" LMAO

and you should certainly never go to bed on a full stomach

13. My nutritionist used to have this rule.. eat dinner at least 3hrs before you go to bed. So if you usually go to sleep at midnight, dinner at 8pm is just fine.

14. Wrong!

There is absolutely no benefit from eating at a certain time...in the grand scheme of things. The reason a lot of people see weight loss is cause they're limiting calories. What happens is a lot of people would have eaten breakfast, lunch, dinner (around 6/7pm), then around 10 or 11, get hungry again and eat something. By not eating after 7, all they're doing is cutting out that last meal/snack. That's what causes the weight loss. Nothing else. In the end, it's all about limiting caloric intake.

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/2225.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3263249.stm

15. I have only small dinner around 5-6 pm. I noticed if I eat later than this, I'll gain weight although I go to bed after midnight as well. Eating at night is not good for our skin anyway since our blood will be too busy working around stomach and not circulate well to other areas of body.