Normal wear and tear on Cabat?

If memory serves me, the Reflet Cabat was somewhere in the 6400-6700 range when it was released, so $7k is still more than retail even with the corner wear. I wish I felt differently about the value of the listing price, though, because it is an absolutely breathtaking bag. And I realize that the metallic treatment won't just "come off", but when I think about the bag rubbing against my body and the potential colorless spots from that...it just makes me very hesitant to spend the money. I would love it if anyone here who has the Reflet could share how it has worn (beyond the corners). I really love the color and I would say that my top choices for the Cabat are plain nero, Reflet or Barcelona. I figured nero was my best bet since the other two are only available at resale at this point.

I haven't yet heard anything about another price increase, but I've been out of the BV loop recently. So thank you for the heads up on that! 30% is brutal!!! Honestly, my first love is Chanel and while I've been considering the Cabat on and off for years now, I keep getting distracted by growing my Chanel collection. Now I think I'm finally down to a 2 bag wishlist: one more Chanel reissue and the Cabat.
the reflet is a beautiful bag and was extremely limited. you can negotiate the price on malleries so maybe take a chance. i did not buy reflet so don't know how it will wear.

i have a nero nappa cabat and it is beautiful but has softened more than a lot. i had a large vachette that never softened despite use and its size. i parted with it because it was very heavy.

hth-

Thanks everyone for your help. I wound up calling BV to find out about refurbishment services and what they said was this: they can clean and polish/condition the leather and that improves the appearance of any scratches or wear on the leather. They can reseal the edges of the handles, but it is likely that they will crack again as the leather stretches. Lastly, there is also the option of replacing the handles altogether. When I asked about normal wear on the Cabat, I was told that what was on display in these listings IS normal. That was pretty much all I needed to hear and now I'm certain that it isn't worth it to me to purchase a basic Cabat at full retail price. So either I'll keep my eye out for a preowned bag in great condition or hold out until I fall in love with a seasonal piece. Thanks again everyone!

Thanks everyone for your help. I wound up calling BV to find out about refurbishment services and what they said was this: they can clean and polish/condition the leather and that improves the appearance of any scratches or wear on the leather. They can reseal the edges of the handles, but it is likely that they will crack again as the leather stretches. Lastly, there is also the option of replacing the handles altogether. When I asked about normal wear on the Cabat, I was told that what was on display in these listings IS normal. That was pretty much all I needed to hear and now I'm certain that it isn't worth it to me to purchase a basic Cabat at full retail price. So either I'll keep my eye out for a preowned bag in great condition or hold out until I fall in love with a seasonal piece. Thanks again everyone!

While I don't disagree with what BV told you regarding wear and tear on the handles and the color rubs being "normal," I would interpret that more as being "normal wear and tear" as opposed to a "defect." I'm not sure BV meant to say that the heavy signs of wear was "typical" of a used Cabat. But maybe they did, and that would mean that my own Cabats are in unusually great condition for being used :smile:. I think it comes down to individual use and care, and I think that goes for any bag.

In any case, the Cabat is really expensive, and if it would pain you to pay full retail for a classic color, then finding a pre-owned one in great condition is a good way to go! I don't think it's ever a good idea to spend outside of your comfort zone for a bag.

i agree with blueiris. if you're not comfortable spending the money for a cabat, then better not do it.

in defense of the cabat, i personally had no problems with mine and i didn't baby it. the best indicator of how the cabat will wear is how your other BV bags have worn because the leather is the same (napa) and you know how rough you are with bags.