No Waiting List? Cheaper Birkins?

Thanks so much SS and 2703, And yes, there would be no money. I'd spend it all. I'd end up lookish quite the waif - what with the heavy bags & totes and only enough money for soya-milk!

But think of all the bags I'd have....and I'm pretty sure an SA gets a bit off of the price. But in a store like hermes, even 5% staff discounts can amount to a huge sum!

No more Birkins/HACS for me, sigh. Just ordered the palladium keychain with charms. They're fedexing it to me now....can't wait. Something to dangle on my lil' bags - until I get the Victoria GM tote!!! There's one in the KLCC boutique in chevre and cheval and it's in a TDF colour - Etaupe! If darling BHalf doesn't get that, I might have to put it on my card! Arrgh!

I'm sure the H discounts must be more juicy than the mere 5% you hypothesised. :P

Oooh. The Victoria GM. Just work on the BH. I'm sure if you can coax a birkin out of BH, you can coax the Victoria. No wonder you work in advertising. You obviously have some wonderfully persuasive skills. :lol:

I only have two Kelly bags, but I think having to wait 4-6 months for my second one to be cleaned is a little frustrating! I feel like my bag has disappeared into thin air and it has only been one month.

I actually like that there is a wait list for Hermes Birkin's and Kelly bags. This stops the band wagon routine that we always see with other designers.

The price tag just makes the bag all so much more special because for me and others alike, it's not easy to come up with the funds to purchase these little beauties. When you had a good month and you know you could afford that little extra that will put a smile on your face there is no better feeling! While I'm paying for a purchase at the H counter, I love the feeling of taking that wad of cash and giving it to the cashier and receiving my orange bag with my new purchase! Paying cash also eliminates credit card purchases which I can not do! I hate to see numbers at the end of the month! So paying upfront makes me feel good because there are no worries later.

The quality, well can anyone disagree with me when I say that Hermes has the best quality leathers and craftsman in the world, no other fashion house can come close to the timeless designs and hard work that goes into those bags. You can buy a bag today and look at it years from now and you will notice 2 things that you won't see with other handbags, the leather will look better with time and still keeps it's shape. The aging process is phenomenal. And your bag will still be in style and sought after. Not like those trend bags that we see in the magazines now-a-days!

For me purchasing a Hermes handbag whether it be a 1k bag to a 20k bag, it's a special feeling for me, not because it's hard to get or because of the price tag or because of the name, but because of the life time memories that I will have with it.

I like Hermes sacs because of the following:

- quality and beauty of the leathers which gets better with age
- available colors of the various leathers which undergo a slow tanning process for months.
- saddle stitching done by hand using linen threads coated with natural beeswax
- timeless bag design, reinvented in either a new color, leather, size, but continued to be made in the traditional manner which could be traced to the art of saddle making.

All the above qualities are why I have been loyal patron of Hermes and continue to do so. I just wish they were not as expensive as they are now so that everyone can afford to acquire one and discover its beauty. I would not mind if there was no waiting list or the price is less as long as all the qualities I mentioned above are not compromised. I wouldn't mind also if there were more people who carried a genuine Hermes bag because I know that they will experience the same pleasure and appreciation as any satisfied H bag owner. It is nice to get compliments for the bags I have but what is more important to me is the pleasure and satisfaction I experience using them. What is interesting is that in the age of fast pace technology, there are still things that are created the traditional way taking weeks to put together and requiring patience in its destined owner.

I'm not sure about my answer...I do love bags by other designers that cost thousands less than, say, a Birkin. However, those I can buy impulsively, and I don't use them as much as I love my Birkin. Because of the exclusivity and price of Birkins, I can honestly say that I feel really fortunate to have even one. I can't say the same for bags of other fashion houses.

hi i like the exclusiveness of the bag. i have yet to own one. i am only 25. but have been always stoping in my hermes and have been on but on the list almost a year now and they said soon i will be able to order it and wait about another year. this is my dream bag. i only like to own bags that i know everybody won't have.

honestly, i love and hate Hermes for their exclusivity. The prices I'd be willing to pay, but the fact that Birkins in particular are so hard to get just irks me. I understand the concept and the allure, and the supply and demand factor, but that really annoys me. I DID NOT want to buy from a reseller, but chose to because I wanted exactly what I wanted and when I wanted it, and wound up spending quite a bit more than I would've had to at Hermes, not to mention I lost the experience of buying something so special at Hermes and feeling really good about it. So I carry a little H resentment to be honest. In response to your question- a Birkin is the perfect handbag, in my humble opinion. It's stylish and cool but refined. It's made so well and it comes from such a rich, crafted history. I honestly love Birkins and Kelly bags and even the Bolide. They are status symbols but I think Hermes would still be great even if the bags weren't so hard to get.

I know I've answered this before but I'll add more to it. The waiting list idea really annoys me to no end. I feel that the price point of Hermes will keep it exclusive as it is. Also, some ppl will always find a way around it anyway - as evident by how you see starlets like Lindsay Lohan and one of the Olsens carrying them. Therefore, the ones who suffer are everyday down-to-earth individuals like we ladies on the H forum. It just isn't right that some ppl have to result to buying things that they don't need, deal with bad customer service at some stores, deal with all the hassle as well as stress just to be allowed to spend a lot of money on a bag. The fact that the prices keep increasing every year does not help.

I wouldn't mind the waiting list at all if the list really is truly first come first served. However, as far as I know there are some people who don't have to abide by the list and not all of them buy all of their the bags to use or give as gifts. It does bother me if they buy with the intent to sell to resellers, making some money for themselves in the process. I have nothing against resellers as I think they are just fulfilling a need in the market and if buyers are willing to pay the mark-up it is their decision. But when resources are scarce and people use their privilege to get ahead of whatever line or system supposedly in place, it strikes me as even more unfair if they aren't buying it to use. I suppose this is why Hermes supposedly blacklist some people?

I wouldn't mind the waiting list at all if the list really is truly first come first served. However, as far as I know there are some people who don't have to abide by the list and not all of them buy all of their the bags to use or give as gifts. It does bother me if they buy with the intent to sell to resellers, making some money for themselves in the process. I have nothing against resellers as I think they are just fulfilling a need in the market and if buyers are willing to pay the mark-up it is their decision. But when resources are scarce and people use their privilege to get ahead of whatever line or system supposedly in place, it strikes me as even more unfair if they aren't buying it to use. I suppose this is why Hermes supposedly blacklist some people?

True. But the thing is, from what I know Hermes does not always blacklist everybody who is buying strictly to sell to resellers. See, if it's a customer who is bringing in lots of money to Hermes, they won't blacklist that person. Kind of like don't ask, don't tell.

I've heard of that too. I guess Hermes is in a tough spot, bcause obviously they don't want to offend the customers who bring in lots of money.
Maybe this is how Hermes really makes money, by getting people to buy lots of things they don't need and lots of ready-to-wear that otherwise won't sell so quickly?
As my mother would say, who says life is supposed to be fair...

I was told by a very wise PF-er that the profit margin for ready-to-wear is a lot greater than leather goods. I think it makes sense that most Hermes VIPs are the ones who buy RTW. Actually, one time I called up one of my SAs and she kept telling me to call her back because she was with another client. Now, she wouldn't do this to me normally so I thought it was really bizarre. I found out afterwards that at the time I called, she was dealing with a client who bought TONS of RTW. So RTW is definitely the big money maker there, I think the fast track to becoming a VIP is via RTW ...

Another SA I knew at Beverly Hills told me that they have a lot of customers who come in and drop over 20K on RTW on a single visit and sometimes they can buy up to $1 million worth of merchandise in a day. Unfortunately, I cannot compete with people like them ...

Another SA I knew at Beverly Hills told me that they have a lot of customers who come in and drop over 20K on RTW on a single visit and sometimes they can buy up to $1 million worth of merchandise in a day

Hmm...$20K for RTW is not hard to spend during one visit...but...what can you possibly buy to spend up to $1 million from ONE visit? Even if someone buys diamond Birkin, diamond bearn wallet, matching croc. shoes, diamond Kelly watch and like 20 pieces of RTW including all kind of expensive furs...still not even close to one million... Is there something more outrageously expensive Hermes items that I don't know about other than diamond Birkin...?? I am just curious...:shrugs: