no more BidPay??

1. i apologize if this has already been addressed in an other thread..

i just got an email from BidPay saying that they will be "discontinuing operations". :wtf: they are not accepting new user registrations, and effective xmas day they will stop accepting payments.

i've never used BidPay, but i did register an account there. i always thought it would be convenient as an eBay seller, in case you wanted to accept payment from someone whose address was not confirmed in Paypal, for example. in terms of seller protection BidPay seemed to have its merits, because I"ve heard so many horror stories on here from sellers who have gotten fraudulent chargebacks and Paypal doesn't seem to help much in this regard.

so anyways, i guess now that BidPay's gone...what's the alternative to Paypal when selling an item? Money Orders? THough i heard those can be faked by buyers, so i'm not sure how reliable that is...

2. I just got the same email. Looks like they're closing down! They probably couldn't survive the competition with Paypal. I'm sorry to see them go.

3. It must be true, I got an email too. I'm sure they couldn't keep up with paypal. Here's what I got:

Effective December 31, 2007, BidPay.com, Inc. will be discontinuing operations. We regret any inconvenience to our users and thank you for your patronage over the years. Please note the following important details about the shutdown. Please plan accordingly.

Effective IMMEDIATELY, BidPay will no longer accept new BidPay account registrations.

Effective IMMEDIATELY, banner insertions for new auctions will be disabled. That means that any attempts to add “BidPay” as a payment option in auctions will not be effective. Accordingly, you should offer alternative forms of payment.

Effective 5:00 P.M. PST, December 25, 2007, BidPay will cease accepting payments.

From January 1, 2008 through 11:59 P.M. PST, January 31, 2008, registered users will have read-only access to their BidPay account information.

Customer support services will be available through January 31, 2008 by contacting support@bidpay.com.

4. Got the same email, sad to see them go as that was the only way (for me) to accept payment from the unconfirmed.

5. I got the same email. I never actually received a payment through them, but I always thought that they were a good "back up" for PayPal. I'm sorry to see them go.

6. I'm actually quite happy about it, believe it or not. Somewhere along the way when changing my visa details I had a problem with my account and couldn't log into it and couldn't email them because I couldn't log in ... so I haven't used Bidpay for ages. It's not good that now PayPal won't have any competition though.

7. What??

I've had to pay with Bidpay only twice when buying items from the US (in my 6 yrs on eBay), and when the won't take paypal from me (as i'm in Australia and can't get confirmed)

I don't really like bidpay for some reason though.. It takes too long for them to verify etc...

I'd rather do a wire transfer or WU

Maybe Google checkout will be the next best thing to paypal :p

8. I've never used BidPay, but it is sad to see they close their business, which means PayPal has one less competitor.

9. Isn't there a rule on eBay that you can't use google checkout?

10. ^You can't put it on your listing, but I think some people offer it privately as another option.

11. [FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif]It is true - confirmed at their website www.bidpay.com Effective December 31, 2007, BidPay.com, Inc. will be discontinuing operations. We regret any inconvenience to our users and thank you for your patronage over the years. Please note the following important details about the shutdown. Please plan accordingly.Effective IMMEDIATELY, BidPay will no longer accept new BidPay account registrations.Effective IMMEDIATELY, banner insertions for new auctions will be disabled. That means that any attempts to add “BidPay” as a payment option in auctions will not be effective. Accordingly, you should offer alternative forms of payment. Effective 5:00 P.M. PST, December 25, 2007, BidPay will cease accepting payments. From January 1, 2008 through 11:59 P.M. PST, January 31, 2008, registered users will have read-only access to their BidPay account information. Customer support services will be available through January 31, 2008 by contacting support@bidpay.com.What I find annoying is that I am going to have to revise 200 listings in my store. Now that ladies is a load of fun especially over the holidays :censor::censor: 'cause you know what is going to happen? eBay will make it a rule soon that you cannot mention BidPay or run the risk of having your listing cancelled.[/FONT]

12. I am very sad to see this alternative form or payment go. As a seller I do not accept Paypal from buyers outside of US, UK & Canada, so all I have left now for my foreign buyers is wire transfer. Bidpay was a nice alternative, too bad...

13. Bummer! I really like bidpay

14. Oh, NOoo! I closed my PayPal Account years ago. I only used BidPay. :sad:
    Now, what?

15. I loved Bidpay an option for unconfirmed bidders that I would not let use Paypal. It was cheaper than Paypal and provided protection against chargebacks on sales under $1500 (I think that was the amount in the terms and conditions). As far as approved ebay payment methods go, Moneybookers is the next popular option for credit card payments in my opinion. The fees charged by Moneybookers are very low compared to Paypal. It is like the UK Paypal alternative. I have used it as a buyer with no problems but have not used it yet as a seller.