"No, I did not read your resume yet!" What to respond with?

1. I e-mailed my resume to this place in response to an online job posting.

I brought myself to the idea that they may not have read my resume yet (this just happened recently and they immediately said to call back... but I don't want to leave it at that and say okay, bye)! I have no clue what to say!

I want to know a response to get me an interview in one sweep.

Should I say something like can we schedule an interview and I'll bring it in, or is that too forceful??

2. Ugh, it's too late to edit. I was going to add on, also rather than starting another thread:

How do you schedule an interview when you're already working full time? How do people do it, do they have to call out sick or something?

3. Hi Adore, usually it takes anywhere from a few days to a few weeks (!) for the recruiter/HR person to (a) review all of the resumes received in response to a job posting and make their candidate selection recommendations and (b) have a meeting/email communication with the hiring manager to review the resumes and select the candidates for the first interview.

In my experience, the resume receipt and initial resume review is done about a week or so after a job is posted online. This is to batch all of the resumes at once for a thorough review. The meeting/email communication with the hiring manager happens after that and not all hiring managers get back to the recruiter immediately...sometimes they do within hours and sometimes it takes some chasing down and can take even a week or 2.

While it would be great to hear from a company within a day or 2 after submitting your resume, it's likely unrealistic. Give 'em at least 1-1.5 weeks and then call to follow up if you don't hear anything.

Instead of asking for an interview, since they may not know if you're selected or not at that point in time, you may wish to say something like "Hi I'm ____ and I submitted my resume last week (or whenever) and I just wanted to follow up on the status. I'm very interested in the job and hope we can meet soon to further discuss my qualifications. Is there anything else I can provide to you and the hiring manager to help clarify my skills and experiences?"

As for scheduling interviews, some people do so before or after their normal work times (even if they come in late or leave early for "an appointment"), during lunch breaks. Remember the company with which you're interviewing knows you are currently working elsewhere, so work with your recruiter/HR person to schedule a time that's more accommodating.

Yes, some people use little white lies, like doctor's appointments, being sick, etc. but I personally haven't done that; I like the more generic 'appointment' instead. I have been fortunate in that my previous employers do not dig into their employees' details.

Good luck!!

4. Luckily for me, I was able to tell my boss I was going out for interviews, so I had a lot of time. She suggested I look for another job because she was planning to move the office too far away for me to work. Well, I job-hunted, went on 4 interviews, got 2 job offers, then my boss decided to keep the office here!

GOOD LUCK!

5. as for scheduling an interview around your normal work hours... you could always say you have a doctor's or dentist appointment. at my job we get to use sick time for those appointments.

one lady here did that and my boss finally figured it out after she gave her resignation ;)
    the next week i actually did have a doctor's appointment and my boss goes "it's really a doct. appointment right?? you better not be going to an interview!" ;) it was kind of funny.

6. Redney, thank you so much for all of your help. I called them and they answered with that they are reviewing them and are to give phonecalls after that. So it sounds like I may have made it just in time for their batching of resumes-- hopefully!

And this morning right after I posted this, I got a phonecall from another place I sent my resume in to. I e-mailed it to them on December 27th, gave them a call but they said they were very busy and hadn't looked into it yet. So it did take some time... but I have an interview now.

NOW I'm really confused. The place that I have an interview at is not something I want to do for a career, but it's full-time and it has benefits and everything.
    I would leave there anywhere between a week and a month... not sure if I want to trouble them, but I'd also be troubling myself.

I didn't realize the appointment reason but that is so perfect! I wanted to know for if I decide to take this other job on-- if they want me after the interview..

Still not sure if I want to call them back and tell them, "oh you know what, I just accepted something else, but thank you so much."

It would be nice to work full-time and make money and not worry about where I'm getting insurance from, but it's not what I want to do (I applied because I needed insurance but I may end up getting it through the state anyway. I can't get any more hours through my work-- I'm working the same hours as I did in college! I just got out).

So confusing now.

I hope I get a job at that other place I called today. I really really hope so. Any ideas if I should bother with this new place? Or is it too much trouble for the both of us?

7. Be patient and keep us posted. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you!

8. Hi Adore, am happy to help if I can! :flowers:

Congratulations on getting through to the place you want to work, will be keeping my fingers crossed you'll be selected for an interview!!

As for the other place, do you think you would work there at all? I was confused by the terms - is it only a short-term gig where you could specify an end date (if you got the job you really wanted, for example) or is the job more of a permanent/long term opportunity? If you know right now you do not want it, I wouldn't waste your and their time interviewing for it.

However, if there's a chance you're even a little bit interested in it (and there must be a small glimmer cuz you applied, right?), you should schedule an interview. Remember, an interview is a two-way street: just as the company is evaluating you for the job and company, you should also be evaluating the job and company for yourself. See how you feel afterward; you may be more interested than you thought you'd be!

If you're not interested at all after the interview, it is perfectly acceptable to politely let the company know the job isn't a fit for your skills/experiences/career goals/whatever. If you're interviewing with them, the assumption is you're interviewing other places too so it's really not a biggie.

Good luck!!

9. I wouldn't mind working there, but it's not something I would allow myself to settle down in. I had applied I think 3 weeks ago by sending my resume and it was also before I knew what would happen with insurance but it's also hard working only about 18 hours a week.

And now they called me... and what if I find something else and I just end up leaving, type of thing.

My parents even said no I don't know, it's not what you want to do (career) so you should just keep looking. And they definitely surprised me with that.

I didn't know if it was normal to go someplace and then leave so soon after... I'm thinking maybe it's not. I feel like I already have made up my mind but the idea of actual money coming in is so tempting. Also to not work where I currently work anymore, haha.

Thanks again for your help!

10. I would respond with: "Thanks for getting back to me. I look forward to meeting with you after you've had a chance to look over my resume."

As for scheduling the interview, just tell your current employer you have "an appointment." Don't lie and say it's medical; don't give them any details at all. Just try to schedule it either in the morning or later in the afternoon so you can either go into work late or leave early...

But sometimes it's best to just tell them that you're meeting with a potential employer, because chances are your boss will get a phone call asking for a reference for you (maybe even before the interview). Lying and sneaking around will only make you look like a dishonest person/employee, KWIM?

11. Hi there

I'm a corporate recruiter, so can tell you from experience it really does take up to 2 weeks before the 1st interviews are scheduled after a job req is posted. I'd wait for them to contact you now, since you contated them today, dont try again, as it makes a candidate look desperate, and almost stalkerish...

I would recommend going into the other interview of the job you dont want, even if its not something you want, try your very best to get the job, it will boost your interviewing confidence and get you ready to interview for the job you really want. Also, if the job you want falls thru, then you have it as an option to go to for awhile until you find what you really want.

Oh as for getting time off to interview - be honest with the place you are interviewing, let them know you want to be discrete with your current employer, and ask if its possible to have interviews around the lunch hour - that way you can tell your employer you have an appt during lunch, which wont make it look like you are skipping out of work. I am always careful to help candidates work around their schedules if it is at all possible. Just be honest with the recruiters you work with - they'll help you out.

Best of luck!!!

12. ^^^ Great advice, needanother! I'm in the corporate recruiting world too...wonder if we've crossed paths IRL!

Adore, one thing you should not do is to take the job you don't want for a short period of time only to leave when something else comes along. You may burn some bridges with that company, and many companies look down upon "job hoppers" - those who move around from a career job to career job fairly frequently (unless you are an independent contractor, but that's a different thing altogether). It makes you look flaky and unreliable and raises questions about your interest, dedication and commitment before they even get to meet you.

I know some recruiters and hiring managers who rarely interview a job hopper unless the candidate has super-stellar experience that fits perfectly with the opportunity. Even then, asking why someone changed jobs so much will be an interview question.

If you do need to make money while you're looking for your ideal job, could you do temp work, waitress or bartend to fill in some hours?

13. ^^^hey redney! It certainly is possible, we're both on the westcoast! Do you spend time on ERE boards as well??

14. Not a ton but receive some of the newsletters...PMin ya now...:smile:

15. ay ay ay! It's always a fine balance between making yourself stand out in the crowd of other applicants and possibly ingratiating yourself by calling up and doing a spiel!

Needanotherbag has given you great advice form the recruiter's side, as has redney. I've used Clairzk's line about looking forward to talking to them in an interview and it has worked for me. I find that it's polite yet eager and doesn't waste their time.