Night-time potty training readiness?

1. All right, experienced moms, I need your help!

My son is 4 1/2 and still wakes up with a super-full diaper every morning. (even though I limit his liquids in the evenings) I've read that 5 dry morning diapers in a row is a sign of "readiness" for nighttime potty training...if I go by that definition, my son is nowhere near ready! My pediatrician says there's no reason to worry yet...6 and 7 year olds who can't hold it at night are worrisome but not 4 and 5 year olds. Is that really true?? Then why is it that there are so many 3, 4, and 5 year olds out there who are totally nighttime trained??

Should I try to "force" the issue now and start night-training him, or should I wait til the magical "5 dry morning diapers in a row???"

2. I agree w/ your Pedi actually.
    I've been a member and Mod/Admin of a massive parenting website for multiples and it's actually more common than people think.
    It's actually considered 'normal' until close to 7 yrs old.
    Does he get up to go potty by himself @ night?
    Is he wearing pull ups or diapers?
    One of my twins does but not the other. Mine are about 3.5 yrs old and I can't imagine one of my boys becoming night trained anytime soon either.
    The other has always just been more acutely aware of things like that.
    I've never heard of the 5 mornings in a row thing though.

3. I feel like an idiot, but I didn't know there was such a thing as night-training, I just thought it happened naturally. How does one do that?

4. I have never actually "trained" my children at night so I don't know how you'd do it either.
    I just figured she meant learning/happening naturally:shrugs:
    My DD just 'trained' herself and one of my twins is as well. . . the other one, not so much.

Actually, my nephew just turned 8 and sleeps like he's in a coma. You can't budge the kid and he still has accidents at night because his body just does not have the ability to wake up when the urge comes.
    It's making my sister a mess and they're actually about to invest in some training things, I think she's getting an alarm or something that is suppsed to gurantee waking him. There's a place in Houston that specializes in this and the alarm is supposedly their magic weapon in traning people.

5. Swanky -- my son goes comatose when he sleeps at night and definitely does not wake up to go potty. Even in the mornings if he's awake in bed, he just lays there and pees in his diaper instead of getting up to go, as I've asked.

Ya know, I've heard about those alarm thingies for night-training. I may just look into that. But, it's reassuring to know that even 7 year-olds still have this problem and it's considered normal. Thanks!

6. i wish I could help-I got lucky I guess. My sons just naturally "night trained" themselves within 2 weeks of being regularly potty trained. So, i don't know any tricks-good luck to you though!

7. :cutesy:

8. Braggart! LOL.

9. I'm sorry-I didn't mean it that way! I just honestly never thought of it!

10. I wouldn't stress over it. Everyone has their own parenting style and has their own opinions of what is right and wrong. my son (age 4) is not potty trained at night and I don't care, he is just not ready at the moment. i am going to let it happen on his own. I have this one mom who always tells me about how her 3 year old son is pretty much trained throughout the night and how I should stop letting my son wear diapers to bed because it will just get harder and harder for him to train himself and I really need to crack down on the issue. I don't like talking to her very much:tdown:

11. J/K!:flowers:

12. I know lots about this topic. I didn't get my 6 year old dry through the night till this year. She sleeps hard and deep (we were next to a fire station in a hotel and they got a call, her breathing didn't change at ALL!!). I would highly recommend this book http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Steps-Nighttime-Dryness-Bedwetting/dp/0974068802/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196305380&sr=1-20 It explains that its not the child or the parents' fault. They need to be trained to listen to their bodies. We were seriously looking into spending about $100 for the bed wetting alarm but tried to work with pull-up. Pull-up do a really good job of keeping them dry. What I did was make her wear her underwear first then the pull-up. Then she could feel the "wetness" and get up and go. We had to change a few panties at first but then she eventually heard her body telling her to get up and go. My 3 year old did the night training herself so everyone is different. Good luck!

13. I have this same problem with my 3 1/2 yr. old. He's been potty trained for almost a year, but he still wakes up every morning with a soaking wet diaper. It drives me crazy but I know that eventually he'll be able to wake up. My DH and I were both bedwetters as kids and I guess it is sometimes genetic.

14. You guys are luckier then me so far. My 3 year old wants absolutely nothing to do with potty training period. He could sit in a soiled diaper all day if I let him. Ugh! I so can't wait till he is ready especially with #2 on the way.