Niece's troubled pregnancy

1. I've mentioned my nieces occasionally and how close we are. One is pregnant with her first child and the pregnancy has been difficult from the start. She has had horrid migraines (at least 2 a week), often going to the ER . She developed gestational diabetes so they are worried about the baby's size. She was on bed rest for awhile then went back to work for a week.

Her water broke today and she has been hospitalized. The due date is around July 4. I'm worried sick about her.:crybaby: They are doing tests to determine how developed the baby is so they may induce labor. It all seems too much for one pregnant woman and baby to handle. Has anyone dealt with any of these conditions in pregnancy? I'm trying to stay positive, but it's hard right now.:sad:
  2. Just Last week. My sister n law had similar symptoms. The Doctor also said he would induce her on a certain date. A week before the induced date she went into labour and gave birth to a healthy 8lb baby boy.

I know its hard to stay upbeat at this time I can imagine she is feeling scared. my prayers and thoughts are with you.
  3. ^^^Thank you, Prada. Her sister just called to tell me the doctors decided it was safe to induce labor, so I'm praying for the best. This is 7 weeks early.

Congratulations to your sister-in-law and family!

4. Keeping my fingers crossed for a safe delivery. She's in good hands.

Thanks for the congrats ! She named him Dylan. Keep us updated. :heart:
  5. I was going to say that with a steroid injection it would be likely they would induce quite soon. In the current medical world, an infant at 33 weeks stands an excellent chance of being healthy and happy. Many such babies only spend a week or two (some even less) in the hospital before going home.

Gestational diabetes ought to pose no risk to the infant if it was controlled during pregnancy, though they will want to watch the baby's blood sugar levels a bit after birth. And the condition ought to go away for the mom shortly after the baby is born. She may stand a higher chance of developing diabetes later in life, but that can likely be avoided with lifestyle changes.

I am so sorry your niece has gone through so much with this pregnancy. I will be thinking of her, and I hope to hear from you soon about how things went!
  6. I don't know any helpful info but I just wanted to let you know that I will pray for your neice to have a healthy delivery. I think the only thing you can do to help her is to keep a postive outlook and to be there when she needs help.
  7. Your neice and family are in my thoughts and prayers.
  8. Boxermom, I'm really sorry for all your stress. I completely agree with HauteMama. At 33 weeks, today, I don't think the baby will have any long lasting problems. At 33 weeks, all the major organs are developed, even the lungs are capable of working on their own. its almost like the baby is 'fine tuning'. Also, don't forget that a pregnancy term is considered normal & healthy anything between 38 & 42 weeks, so its only really like shes 5 weeks early.

I hope everything goes well, keep us posted! :flowers:
  9. Thank you all for the extra information and good thoughts and prayers. My thinking goes back to when I had my children and it seems primitive compared to obstetrics today--thanks for reminding me!!

I still haven't heard anything more. I'm about to drive to Charlotte to meet up with Kallison and tlloveshim and hopefully Prada Psycho, if she's up to it. I'll update when I know something.

Your support means a LOT to me!
  10. I've had 3 high risk, troubled pregnancies with bed rest & ending up with premature babies. At 33 weeks, the risks are relatively low with the right measures being taken..Steroid injections to develop the lungs are KEY. Hope all goes well & keep us posted!

Also, term is considered anytime after 37 weeks so she is really only 4 weeks early~
  11. I hope everything turns out okay with your neice and her baby! *HUGS*
  12. 7 weeks early isn't too bad to be honest.
    My step-brother and his wife recent;y were in teh same boat, except his wife's water broke at 23.5 weeks.
    The hospital wouldn't take her as the baby isn't considered "viable" until 24 weeks.
    She was admitted at 24 weeks and held on until 27 weeks.
    She's a true miracle baby.
    The baby is home and considered completely healthy at this point. She was in the NICU for about 6 weeks which is another miracle.

The steroid shots really make a differebce in lung development, usually 2 rounds a re given.
    Did she have those yet?
  13. I think she did get those, Swanky. You all make me feel better about this. It just seemed so early to me and all I know is how it was 30+ years ago.

Still no news. Thanks a million for easing my mind and telling me about the good outcomes you know of--you don't know how much I appreciate it!:yes:
  14. I know, I TOTALLY understand.
    I was a basket case carrying my twins, I thought there's no way I'd be lucky enough to get to have and love 2 healthy babies:cry:
    But I did!
    Medicine has come a LONG way:yes:
    I had terrible migraines during pregnancy that drugs didn't help, the IV fluids always helped them.
    How's she feeling?
  15. I hope she is doing alright--please keep us updated!