Nicole Richie Hates Her Cat

I was thinking the reasoning behind her not having it during her pregnancy is because cats are dangerous during pregnancy. They can carry toxemia and every book I have come across has said DO NOT PICK UP AFTER YOUR CAT WHILE PREGNANT HAVE SOMEONE DO IT FOR YOU. Maybe Joel isn't into cleaning up after it so she's gotta have it away for the time being. That was one of my OBGYN's first questions was if I had a cat. I think she's being safe.

I ditto what everyone's said about cat feces/pregnancy/smells. For those who have not been pregnant, it is an ubelievable thing that happens to our noses!! LOL!
I always joke that I'm an uber smeller anyway, but when I became prego, oh man...EVERYthing had a smell and it was so dang intense! And unfortunately, some smells that you absolutely love, suddenly intensify AND make you want to hurl! LOL

I totally believe that this is NOTHING to do with the toxoplasmosis risk, and EVERYTHING to do with certain smells making her sick. It's hard to relate unless you've been pregnant AND happen to be amongst the certain percentage of pregnant women who experience vast changes in their sense of taste & smell (usually accompanied by nausea). Later in her pregnancy, and definitely by the time the kid is born, she'll be over it and the cat can come back.

In case you couldn't tell, I completely empathize with her decision to do this. ;)

Damn, a lot of people are over reacting to this claim. Pregnant folks dislike a lot of things, if she cant stand the smell of her cat(Which Im assuming is more like her disliking the smell of the kitty litter) then let the girl take a break from the cat! Its not like she threw him out on the streets, she gave him to her Dad for the time being.
My friend hated the smell of raw meat when she was pregnant, you best believe she didnt have any raw meat whatsoever in her house the whole 9 months!

I think Nicole is doing a responsible thing, taking care of herself and her baby. The cat is with her father so it should be safe until she feels it can come back.

As long as she doesn't get rid of her cat I have no problem, women can smell crazy things when their pregnant and the whole poop thing being toxic isn't good. I just hope she doesn't get rid of the cat when she gives birth and become one of those moms that are over protective.

I agree, when your pregnant, everything smells :P
And about the dangers of having a cat while pregnant, as I had a cat while I was pregnant I did a massive amount of research on it, and if your cat is an inside cat and if your not directly touching its feaces, your chances of contracting toxoplasmosis is pretty much nil.

Actually that was a smart move on her part.

Cat poo is basically toxic to unbon babies.
I work at a kennel/cattery business and if you'e pregnant you have to leave until the baby is born and the mother is ready to go back to work.
Cat mess is the worst thing ever... dog mess is fine though... dunno why but yer, I know these things.

:yes::yes::yes: I agree. My doctor had asked me to stay away from my cat during my pregnancy. I think the right thing for her to do. The cat will save with her dad anyway.;)

Well, I don't have a problem with it. She said she loves it, and has given care over to dad for the time being. She's not deserting her cat and wants it back after the baby is born. It's not something I would do if I could help it, but maybe she's getting really sick over it?

Toxoplasmosis is only a concern if you let your cat roam around outside. If you have an indoor cat, you're fine. I still wouldn't clean the litterbox though. (Someone else mentioned Toxemia -- that is a completely different thing LOL.)

I don't think what she's doing is "wrong" per se, but *personally* I would deal with it rather than upset my cat. I'm severely allergic to cats but I deal with it every day. I make sure to use my inhaler and wash my hands after I pet my cat. I also know not to bury my face in her fur or kiss her too much because that will set my allergies off. (As an aside, I wasn't allergic to cats when I adopted her -- this was something I developed during my first pregnancy.) My allergist told me to get rid of her but I said No way!