new york neurologists

1. I was wondering if anyone could recommend an OUTSTANDING neurologist who specializes in removing brain tumors in the New York City area? TIA!!
  2. Sorry honey, I'm in California.

Isn't John Hopkins near you? That in my opinion, is the best place on the Eastern Seaboard to go for this. My mother lived in Upstate NY after she retired and they diagnoised her auto-immune diease when other doctors couln't figure out what was wrong with her.

ETA: What type of tumor is it? I know some about brain surgery, I had an Uncle with Glioblastoma and I took care of him before and after the surgery.
  3. Thanks ! Any info would help. I'll PM you about the details of the MRI scan as I've no clue what any of the language means... :s

4. If you are looking for the best of the best I would whoe heartdly reccomend making the trip to Boston to Mass General and see Dr. Martuza - who is an absolutely FANTASTIC world renound neurosurgeon. Ive had surgeries with him previously and can not say enough. This is an important issue, dont risk quality for convenience. Please PM me if you would like more details.
  5. hi corrinne - thanks for responding.

we definitely are looking at all options around the country/globe. thanks for the tip on Mass General - will be expecting a trip there soon. Another we're thinking about is Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. Anybody on have any feedback on them?

Corrinne, I will PM you soon =) Thanks for your help!
  6. Check out New York Presbyterian, Columbia Univ hospital. They r good at so many things.
  7. PM Jill, the Mod. She's in NJ and has excellent connections.
  8. One of my students had multiple cancerous brain tumors removed at Sloan Kettering on the UES. His mom constantly raves about how happy they were with their team there. Another student in my school also went to MSK and his parents were extremely happy too.
  9. thanks for everyone's responses! we've been looking into several places but decided that it would be best not to travel too far from where we live. the tumor isn't as life threatening (though still is life threatening) as first anticipated and it is a common type of brain tumor which means more doctors are familiar with how to treat it so that's a plus.

We have looked into Mt. Sinai but one of the Chief neurosurgeons there deals with more traditional forms of surgery and we're now looking to research doctors who have more experience in conducting the less invasive form.

Any additional comments/ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    I want to thank everyone for their help! =)
  10. heres the bio on the neuro surgeon i highly reccomend:
    "Robert L. Martuza, M.D., F.A.C.S.
    Higgins Professor of Neurosurgery
    Harvard Medical School
    Chief, Neurosurgical Service
    Massachusetts General Hospital
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NEWS - MGH HOTLONE, November 3, 2006 - "...Robert Martuza, MD, FACS, chief of MGH Neurosurgery and director of the Stephen E. and Catherine Pappas Center for Neuro-Oncology at the MGH, recently was elected to the prestigious Institute of Medicine (IOM), a part of the National Academy of Sciences. The IOM serves in an advisory role on issues of national importance in the fields of biomedical science, medicine and health and provides unbiased, evidence-based information to policymakers, professionals, leaders in society and the general public. Each year, 65 new members are elected to the IOM on the basis of their professional achievement and commitment to service.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Martuza is a renowned leader in the field of cancer research. His early work focused on the possibility that viruses could be genetically engineered to selectively replicate in cancer cells. This launched the study of oncolytic viruses, which are now studied in laboratories and cancer clinics around the world. Martuza's work with genetically engineered viruses also has been incorporated into clinical trials for malignant brain tumor therapies. Currently, his clinical interests focus on surgery for nervous system tumors — particularly acoustic neuromas, meningiomas, gliomas and the neurofibromatoses. ..."

he removed an acoustic neuroma on me, which is a brain surgery. He saved my facial nerve and left my hearing nerve intact, although i was already deaf in that ear from the neuroma. He was able to remove the ENTIRE thing too, and what a nice guy (but thats just a bonus!)
  11. hello all its been a while - thanks again for everyones opinions and thoughts. thought i'd give a final update anyway, we ended up choosing a neurosurgeon at Weill Cornell - NY Presbyterian hospital... the surgery will be done through the nose but because the tumor is so big, they will only remove 85% of the tumor and the rest will be blasted with radiation therapy for about 4-5 wks. scared but feeling positive about it. it'll be in the early afternoon but we'll need to be in at 6 am. we'll have to be out of the house in a few hours and i cant sleep.... thanks all!
  12. prayers and good wishes being offered for you. i am not sure if it is you or a loved one having the surgery but i am hoping for a good outcome.
  13. I'll keep you in my prayers, all the best to YOU!:heart:
  14. Good luck, sending best wishes your way :balloon::flowers: and a get well soon balloon!