New reformulated canvas for end of 2014-2015 your experiences with-please share

chrissypilk

Oct 22, 2014
Hi, I wanted to dedicate a thread to those who have purchased the new model reformulated canvas bags from late 2014 to 2015. The canvas is thinner. The vachetta leather even is different with some reports of easy water spotting. Someone on the forum compared the old vachetta with the NM (new model) and saw the old looked different with magnifying glass. Like it had small (pores) . The new does not. Some members are reporting strong chemical smells from some bags purchased direct from LV. I called Lv and they admitted they are trying to correct the canvas issues of bubbling and flaking by reformulated the chemicals they use to make the bags. Please, let us know how your new bags are holding up or issues you are noticing. We cannot rely on LV to do multiple exchanges. Firstly, they may or may not-blaming you for wear they cannot control. Secondly, what will you exchange to? another reformulated issue prone bag? At this point I don;t want to switch to another brand. I would to hear issues of cracking etc or reports of bags that are holding up fine and the date codes if possible. Thank you everyone for helping us before we drop 1600.00 on a LV bag

Reactions: MaryLVLover
Hi. I bought my Estrela in February. It has no vachetta, but black leather trim. I think the canvas feels more "rubbery" and also more resistant to cracks in this model, but I cannot give a good input here because the bag is relatively new and never had any issue. It is a less shiny canvas, but I dont feel it as being less thick than the one in Palermo, for instance. Maybe the owners of Pochette Metis can give a good input in this, because the bag is so structured.

Excellent topic!

Anyone else have issues with the reformulated 2015 Louis Vuitton Canvas? Anyone notice is smells like strong chemicals instead of that wonderful smell of the former canvas bags?

Hi. I bought my Estrela in February. It has no vachetta, but black leather trim. I think the canvas feels more "rubbery" and also more resistant to cracks in this model, but I cannot give a good input here because the bag is relatively new and never had any issue. It is a less shiny canvas, but I dont feel it as being less thick than the one in Palermo, for instance. Maybe the owners of Pochette Metis can give a good input in this, because the bag is so structured.

Excellent topic!
I agree the canvas is rubbery feeling. I personally do not like it but that is just my opinion. I also had bubbling on the canvas of my 2015 Arsty. I wasn't impressed with the quality at all. I am not sure if it is different on any other 2015 monogram canvas bags but y experience with the Artsy has scared me enough to look for older bags.

My Speedy 30 NM made in late 2014 looks great and is aging well. No funny smell, no bubbling, vachetta is fine. The canvas does not seem rubbery to me, but I have nothing to compare it to.

I have a 13 yr old Speedy 25 and a 7 year old Galliera. The material appears well made and feels great for " coated canvas" I did just purchase the Metis hobo and will arrive tomorrow. That coated canvas felt much softer and more pliable than my other two pieces. Though Galliera well used and broken in nicely . HOWEVER, it's coated canvas....man made materials. We pay crazy money for canvas. I was disappointed with the overall selection of bags. The 3k Bagatelle leather didn't feel to nice. For me everything looked/felt " Plasticky . The Metis will be my last LV bag. After feeling and looking at the Valentino and Dior leathers i see them as more luxurious. At the end of the day coated canvas is just that whether it's soft , rubbery, thick or thin it's still over priced canvas.

I purchased my monogram Speedy 35 in May. No smell, the canvas seems very sturdy and the vachetta started wonderfully. However, I was extremely disappointed when I took it out in a small sprinkle and there are noticeable water spots when you look closely. Not sure how to correct it, especially because I have it heat-stamped and I don't want to damage it forever.

The bag is packed up at home but if you want to see the spots I might be able to get a picture!

I bought my Damier Ebene Totally MM in June 2015. No vachetta since it is DE. No smell. Canvas does feel rubbery, but no canvas issues so far. The bag does fluff outwards, but I don't think it's a defect, just the design.

I also got a DE mini pochette June 2015, it does not feel rubbery. No funny smell.

I also got a Favorite MM in monogram last month. No issues. Canvas does not feel rubbery. I've been in a light sprinkle for a few seconds. No water spots yet.

My Retiro was purchased in March or April in Spain. I believe it's MIF. No issues that I've noticed and no smell. It doesn't have vachetta so I can't speak to that.

I explained before but I guess here I go again...

There are several types of canvas which vary on thickness and stiffness. Not all bags and luggage are made of the same canvas. And this has been true for decades.

Yes, but the canvas has only recently started bubbling/peeling.

I've bought a few mono pieces this year. None has had the bubbling issue (knock on wood). A few things I have noticed: my Sarah wallet does have a chemical smell, and the vachetta (on my Sully and NF) started out darker than it used to. Neither one really bothers me. But if one of them starts to bubble, I will for sure take it in to LV!

Reactions: Kirkland
My delightful's canvas feels just a little rubbery compared to older bags. It also almost looks like the machine that prints the canvas left a little line where it did not print (if that makes sense)? It is soooooo hard to spot, but I did.

Also, I was at the store in June with my fiance buying a pair of shoes for him and although the empriente line has never remotely interested me, I decided to "pet" an empriente twinset, just because it looked so chewy. I was so dissapointed. The leather felt so tough and "processed".