New Jersey Man Finds Pearl in Oyster Dinner

1. WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP/WCBS 880)

It's not often that a person orders a plate of fried oysters and walks away with a souvenir.

But that's exactly what happened to Mike McHenry, of Washington Township, on Wednesday night when he thought he had chomped down on a piece of shell and instead spit out a pea-sized pearl.
    "I was just grateful I didn't break my teeth," said McHenry. McHenry tells the full story of his discovery to WCBS 880's Wayne Cabot.

McHenry's find at Russo's Ristorante was a rare one, according to Gef Flimlin, a marine extension agent with Rutgers Cooperative Extension, who said 95 percent of pearls are cultured for production, unlike the naturally formed pearl [NJ.com] McHenry found.

"It's unusual to find one in this type of oyster," McHenry said. "Like one in a million."

Russo's owner Rick Giacobbe has been in the restaurant business for 33 years, but said this is the first time he's had a customer find a pearl in an order of oysters. He said the guy he orders seafood from is flummoxed too.

"He said maybe once in a couple of years his girls will find something and it's a teeny tiny thing,'' Giacobbe said. "This was half the size of a jellybean."

Greg Fliegauf, who managers the local Fliegauf Jewelers for his uncle, examined Giacobbe's pearl, and thought it wasn't worth much because it's misshapen and has some discoloration.

"It's a souvenir, I'll put on my bar, maybe," McHenry said.

(http://www.wcbs880.com/New-Jersey-Man-Finds-Pearl-in-Oyster-Dinner/1465693)

First in Florida and now in New Jersey? Wow!

826009.jpg
  2. Another one! WOW!

I like the purple pearl in the earlier story though. I've worked with pearls and never saw one that color before. (Those tainted ones the Japanese create don't count, I dislike the metallic look to them. You know, the gun metal greens and blacks. They get those colors by raising the oysters in polluted waters.)

3. i love oyster!! what a great find.

4. What a lucky find!

5. I've gotten a pearl in an oyster before, but never one that big!

6. That's so cool.