new glasses

1. I have been in dire need of new glasses so I finally got some on Friday. I normally wear contacts and I have an old pair of glasses that I wear as back-up, but they were too weak for everyday use. My new glasses have a higher prescription than my contacts, because apparently glasses prescriptions are supposed to be a bit higher than contacts prescriptions. My prescription is pretty high.

Anyway, I have had them for a couple of days now and the first couple of days, I felt nauseous when I wore them out. I may have overdone it because I wore them all day yesterday. Is this normal while my eyes get accustomed to them? Also, things look kind of strange, like my depth perception is all off so objects look further away than they should. I also feel like things look smaller to me now because they are more in-focus or something. I have never had this experience with contacts.

What has everyone else's experiences with new glasses been? Were they perfect right away or did they take some adjustment?

2. I've worn glasses since I was 8, and contacts since high school and I always remember the first week or so of new glasses felt funny. Your eyes get used to the weaker prescription, so when everything's in focus, it's definitely natural to get a headache/feelings like motion sickness.
    I also noticed that even changing the shape of the glasses lens can distort things. If your new glasses shape is, for example, square/cat-eye this could make things look funny.
    Finally, I have also noticed that things look smaller when I'm wearing glasses vs contacts. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the lens is half an inch from your eyeball, instead of right on it?
    Anyways, I hope your glasses treat you well! You should probably wear them for only a few hours at a time while you're getting used to them. If you keep noticing problems, then you should talk to your doc about weakening the strength. My backup glasses are actually weaker than my contacts since I feel more comfortable this way... but then again, I only really wear my glasses late at night and in the morning.
    Hope this helps, and sorry I wrote a novel, LOL!

3. About five months ago, I got a new prescription with new lenses/frames, and I experienced something like that, too. It seemed like within the first couple weeks of wearing the new glasses, everything seemed further away and did seem to be smaller. I remember the first time I put them on, I thought it was so weird, it felt odd and everything looked odd, I am not sure how to explain it. But after those first couple weeks, I got used to the new prescription and glasses. So I think you are fine, it seems to be normal. :smile:

4. When my prescription changes it usually takes a couple days for me to adjust. The same goes with my contact lenses too.

Hopefully you will become acclimated soon!

5. I agree with the other ladies...every time I get a new prescription on my glasses I have a headache for a few days. I think it takes your eyes a few days to adjust to the new prescription.

6. Thanks for all your replies! I'm glad to see that this seems to be normal. I'll keep wearing my glasses for short periods of time each day.

7. My glasses make me really dizzy for a week or two when I first get them too. Also when i switch to glasses from contacts. At first, i was so freaked out and dizzy, I thought for sure I had the wrong perscription or something, but then it got better.

8. Yup, I've worn glasses and contacts for about 15 years and that is completely normal. I always hate when I pick up a new set because I know I have to go through that. UCK!

9. I may be the only one so far to disagree but, I've worn contacts and glasses for over twenty years. I think that after one day,two tops , that they are still not right I would definitely go back. Sometimes it is a very minor adjustment and that makes all the difference.

10. When I got bifocals for the first time about 7 years ago, I threw up for a couple of days. Luckily it didn't last long, but my eye doc said it was normal, since I went from reading glasses to bifocals in a short time. I also had to wear them longer sooner since I broke the others and didn't realize how much I needed glasses to begin with.

11. I wore them for a couple of hours last night and they seem to be feeling a lot better! I think maybe the frame type may have contributed to the weirdness, as I am used to thin wire-framed glasses with glass lenses and these ones are "trendier" with thicker plastic frames and lenses.

12. this happened to me last year. i had them put the fancy pants super lenses with every bell and whistle in them. i tried to wear them for two days but every time i put them on i wanted to throw up within 20 minutes. they made me really nauseous/headachy. i took them back and put cheap standard plastic lenses in them and it was better right away.

if it doesn't get better, maybe try that.

13. This happens to me all the time. I wear contacts and glasses both, and my contacts are the type that you put in and then for 30 days straight, both day and night. So on the rare occasions when I run out of contacts and have to wear my glasses, it always takes me several days to become accustomed to them again. I don't think that it's really anything to worry about.

14. Normal in the beginning. Be cautious going up and down stairs, or anything where you might fall. That happened to me once the day after getting a new pair of glasses and I took a bad fall.

Also, if it doesn't clear up in a couple weeks or so, have them check to be sure the center of vision in the lenses lines up properly with your eyes. Believe it or not, that happened once--they were made incorrectly and I wondered why after a month they were still bothering me. I'd know better now and wouldn't wait that long to have it double-checked.

15. I felt like my prescription was upgraded too high one time, and I spoke with my eye doc, and after evaluation, she down graded them. They made me dizzy and gave me headaches.

Get them adjusted as soon as possible. You may not have to pay extra if he/she doc was at fault. Even when a precription changes, it shouldn't over strain your eyes.