New Epi Smell???

1. Hi all,

I just got a new beautiful Epi Passy GM in red. However, it has a strong "new" smell to it. I mean it doesn't just have a little smell when you put your nose up to it, but I can smell it when it is sitting about 6-8 feet away from me.

Is this normal? I called 866 and they basically said that's the way the bags are, but the woman didn't really give me any info.

Will the odor lessen like a new leather coat would?

Thanks.

2. Hmm. I've never really noticed a smell with Epi, not a strong one anyway. I do love the smell of Vernis though. Hehe.

3. the epi just usually has a leather smell to it so it's not unusual. perhaps the batch your bag came from had a bit stronger scent to it? i actually like the way the epi smells and the vernis for that matter.

4. I would love to see a picture since I am thinking of getting one Passy as well. Thanks

5. Yes...pictures pretty please!

6. My Epi speedy does have a strong smell to it...not as strong as Vernis though.

7. I'll try to post some photos later. My camera has to charge bit.

Thanks for the help.

8. I think it´s normal, I don´t own an Epi piece yet, but I had a similar experience with my Azur Speedy.

9. Thanks for the upcoming pic and congratulations for your purse....

10. I have heard the smell of some Epi's to cat urine - is that what it smells like? I think if you do a search on the system, you will find a lot of threads.

11. None of my epi bags have ever smelled like cat urine! I know my vernis had a smell to it, but that strong...and it smells good to me!

12. I remembered when I first use my Passy, even lady at the post office noticed that it smelled new. Then, she asked me whether the bag was new and I said yes.

She said it's nice bag.

So, to answer you question, yes :p (in a good way).

Congrats!!

Ps. I think Epi doesn't smell like cat urine at all, it smells like leather.

13. I have to agree that Epi DOES have a very peculiar smell, and in my opinion, it's not very pleasant...

It's not a horrible smell, just not a very pleasant one. And I think because the Passy GM is so big, and there's so much Epi leather, it smells even stronger!

Vernis also has a strong smell, but it's a much better smell, IMO.

14. It's not a cat pee smell. It's more like leather than cat pee. LOL But, not quite regular leather. It's hard to describe.

I guess I'll relax if it's normal. I'm sure it will go away in time.

Thanks all.

15. My Epi pieces tend to smell stronger than monogram pieces and the smell lasts longer as well, but I love that leathery smell ;)