new dog and old cat

1. Ok, so I think I've finally been able to nag my parents to get a dog (I live more or less at their house and will do so some months forward), and everything is perfect, apart from one thing; we have a cat.
    I love the cat to death, she is the sweetest thing ever, but she is spoilt. And she loves attention. She has cat "friends", so I know that she gets along with other animals, however, the only dog she's ever met is a Leonberger about twenty times her size, so although he's sweet and wouldn't harm her, she was terrified of him.
    Of course, I want her to be happy etc, but I cannot let her dictate my life and I *really* want a dog, so my only worries is how I'm gonna make her accept the dog. The plan so far is to keep the dog mostly in my part of the house when she's at home and gradually let her smell the dog's things and in the end let them meet while the dog is on a leash or in a cage so that she doesn't have to feel that she will be chased. So does anybody have any experiences with this or some good knowledge about animal psychology and can help me find out what to do to make this as comfortable as possible for her?
    I will most likely get a pug, but I've also tought about toy poodle, beagle, chow chow, shar pei and basset hound, and nothing has been decided about the breed yet, but does anybody have any experience with these breeds and/or any knowledge about how they in general interact with cats?

2. There's a way to "cat-test" a dog, but I don't know how it's done. Your cat will probably resent the dog no matter what, but get over it. You want a dog who isn't aggressive toward cats. Are you getting a puppy or older dog? In my limited experience with the breeds you mentioned, I'd be careful with a chow. The only dog that ever bit me was a chow and I've known several that were aggressive to people or pets.

Good luck!!!

3. since you're worried about your cat, i would advise against getting a hound breed like the beagle or basset hound because they're more likely to chase the cat and see it as food. maybe try to buy from a breeder who has cats so the dog is familiar with them. a toy poodle would be a great choice, they're small so the cat would be less likely to see it as a threat and they're intelligent so teaching them things would be easier. a pug would be ok too since they're also a toy breed. i would advise you not getting a chow because they need to be really well bred and well socialized to be good pets and are probably not for a beginner.
    whatever breed you choose, introduce the 2 slowly, let them sniff each other. don't force them together, let the cat run if it wants, let it check out the dog when it feels comfortable. do not tolerate the dog nipping, chasing, etc the cat. good luck! my parents have 12 cats and 3 dogs and don't have much of a problem. most cats just get used to dogs over time.

4. the issue will most likely be your cat not liking the dog than dog not liking the cat. Agreed with maybe no terriers/hounds that would have their prey instinct magnified with a cat.

Our cat took a long time to accept the dogs. in the end, he just tolerated them. Be aware that a dog could very very possibly change the personality of your cat...just like any other pet. My parents had a cat who was super friendly and played fetch. Then they got another cat and the first cat got really upset and depressed. she gained 5 lbs and she's never been happy since (4 yrs ago) she won't fetch anymore and is very sad all the time. :sad:

The only

5. the issue will most likely be your cat not liking the dog than dog not liking the cat. Agreed with maybe no terriers/hounds that would have their prey instinct magnified with a cat.

Our cat took a long time to accept the dogs. in the end, he just tolerated them. Be aware that a dog could very very possibly change the personality of your cat...just like any other pet. My parents had a cat who was super friendly and played fetch. Then they got another cat and the first cat got really upset and depressed. she gained 5 lbs and she's never been happy since (4 yrs ago) she won't fetch anymore and is very sad all the time. :sad:

The only thing about a pug is that a cat could easily scratch a pug's eyeball

6. the issue will most likely be your cat not liking the dog than dog not liking the cat. Agreed with maybe no terriers/hounds that would have their prey instinct magnified with a cat.

The only thing about a pug is that a cat could easily scratch a pug's eyeball since it sticks out.

7. Wow, thanks for all the great answers :smile: :flowers:
    I'm gonna talk to my parents about it later today and see what they have decided, and if dad has softened up (it's actually his cat, so it's him that is most opposed to getting a dog because of her), I will call around some breeders of toy poodle and pug as they are the breeds I'm most interested in getting anyways and ask the breeders about the dog's temperaments etc. I still love the other breeds, but maybe toy breeds are the best for now, and anyways, I'm totally in love with pugs and have only had great experiences with toy poodles :love:
    Ouch about the pug's eyes though, but I don't think it will be too much of a problem as I don't think I want to leave the cat and dog alone together the first months before we get to see how they interact.

8. Since the cat is an older cat, she will probably never like the dog, regardless of the breed... She may tolerate the dog, and that's it. For the cat to live happy and to have a peaceful household, you will want to create a NO DOG area in your house, so the cat will feel safe and can escape there. In my house, the cats came first. I fenced/crated the dog and cats came to check her out, but she barked and that was the end of it... Right now, the dogs have the limited area downstairs, and cannot go upstairs. And only those cats who tolerate dogs will come downstairs. As for introducing, there is really no good way because cats and dogs have different body language... My cat would wack my dog and she thought he was playing with her, so she kept doing the playbow, etc... I would crate train any dogs, so maybe keep the dog in the crate and let the cat come whenever she wants. I think he cat will scratch the dog if she feels like she has to, pug or not... Just make sure cat ALWAYS have an escape route.
    As for breeds, unless you are an experience with dogs, I would avoid Chows and Shar-peis. They all have some degree of breed-specific problems... You just have to research and make a decision to what is best for you and your lifestyle. Good luck! If you have more questions, I would be glad to help!

9. thanks tiramisu! As for now, we have planned that the dog stays in my area until we know what the cat thinks about it and then keep the dog in those areas if the cat don't like the dog. I won't be living in this house for more than six months anyways, so I'm hoping that the animals can not kill each other in that timespace.
    Btw, your cats are sooo cute :smile:

10. here's a great place to start looking for a breeder: InfoDog's National Breeders Directory
    be sure to make sure the breeder you choose does the appropriate health tests. a breeder that only breeds champions is also a good start, since the whole point to breeding is to improve a breed. of course, you don't need to get a show quality dog but its important that the breeder isn't a backyard breeder or puppy mill and just wants to make money. try to go and see the parents too. good luck!!

11. ^Cool, thanks! Love your puppy btw :smile:

12. start with a puppy. the cat will hiss and slap, but once the dog knows who's boss (the cat), they will be friendly with each other. i've had dogs in the past (great dane, st bernard, and labs) who all made friends with the cats after a little slappy-face and fur-ruffling. even if you get an older dog, the cat will adjust if you introduce them on neutral territory and for short periods of time. just don't try to force friendship, it'll happen sooner or later and you'll be surprise how quick it was.

13. ^ Thanks for wonderful advices everybody :flowers: I've been talking to some breeders, and I think there is a chance that I'll might get a pug by the end of the year :yahoo: