New Auction Record for Kelly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You may be interested to know that a crocodile Kelly bag was sold for a record £26,000 (approximately US$50,000) in a recent sale at Christies in London on September 12th.

The sale included a number of Hermes bags formerly belonging to Louise T Blouin MacBain. Apparently Ms. MacBain is downsizing and therefore decided to sell her 26 (yes really!) Hermes Kelly bags. All were sold above estimate. The crocodile bag mentioned above was sold for around three times its estimate.

A 20cm Kelly, described in the report as rouge coloured and with gilt metal hardware, sold for £8500 (approx US$16,000). A 35cm, blue and taupe crocodile bag from 2001 sold for £22,000 (approx. US$40,000)

Now, if anyone criticises you for your extravagent Kelly purchase, you can tell them what a great investment it is (like that actually matters!):smile:

2. Hermes is, indeed, worthy of our investment in time and money, but, me thinks that perhaps the bidders got caught up in Hermes bidding frenzy:amazed:

3. Thanks for the links.
    I should have realised this site would not have missed a sale featuring 26 Kelly bags! I still can't get over the sheer numbers.

Would have been worth going to the auction just to study the room. The article (in the Antiques Trade Gazette) described the viewing as being packed with women from all over Europe, speaking myriad languages, most of them already carrying an Hermes bag. I could have picked up some style tips.
    :girlsigh:

4. ^^^ I would've loved to attend that auction. It would have been so much fun to people watch!:yes:

5. Some tpf members managaged to go along

love your comments !!!!:graucho:

Now, if anyone criticises you for your extravagent Kelly purchase, you can tell them what a great investment it is (like that actually matters!):smile:

6. Wow! Wow, wow,wow!!!

7. The auction was going on just as my first Kelly was on its way to me. Shoulda been happy with what I was getting but... who wouldn't secretly wish for one of those fab bags? The forest green croc Kelly was tdf and some of the minis - totally impractical but couldn't you just carry it for itself? I pulled the list of final prices - staggering amounts and all went for 2 or 3 x estimate. But bummer that the pics were already taken down - I coulda looked at them all day...

8. Wow - thanks for the news.

9. Closing this thread as there are already two other threads discussing this. Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.