New Arrest In Holloway Case!

1. New Holloway Arrest Adds To Mystery

New Arrest In Holloway Case

There has been a possible break in the Natalee Holloway case. In Aruba, a teen with the initials GVC is in custody, but it's unclear why he was arrested. Bianca Solorzano reports.

* There has been a possible break in the Natalee Holloway case. In Aruba, a teen with the initials GVC is in custody, but it\'s unclear why he was arrested. Bianca Solorzano reports.
    New Arrest In Holloway Case (1:43)
    * Aruban officials have announced that they have arrested a teenage boy in connection to the Natalee Holloway disappearance case. Cheryl Casone reports.
    Arrest In Holloway Case (1:30)

Police on the Caribbean island of Aruba have arrested 19-year old Geoffrey Van Cromviort in the case of the disappearance of U.S. teenager Natalee Holloway, reports CBS News. Van Cromviort's sister is a police trainee.

Since Holloway vanished almost a year ago, at least three other people have been detained and released without charge.

The arrest left many on this Caribbean island to wonder whether the arrest marked a real breakthrough in the almost year-old case. The development has even surprised Holloway's mother, Beth Twitty, who tells CBS News she is very hopeful this will lead to new information in the case.

"We were all together Saturday when (Beth) found out," Marcia Twitty, sister of Beth Twitty, said in an interview with the Associated Press Monday. "She's been a little overwhelmed with people trying to call her and all."

Joe Tacopina, an attorney for Dutch national Joran van der Sloot now in college in the Netherlands, who was arrested last year but then released for lack of evidence, said he hoped the new arrest would shed light on what happened to Holloway, an honors student from Mountain Brook, Alabama, who disappeared on May 30. It was the final night of the 18-year-old's high school graduation trip to this Dutch Caribbean island.

"It's another step in the process of resolving this case, and an indication for my client who had nothing to do with Natalee's disappearance or demise," van der Sloot's attorney, Joe Tacopina, tells CBS News' The Early Show co-anchor Harry Smith.

Tacopina, who said his investigators had been in contact with Aruban authorities, said Van Cromviort was detained because police recovered a T-shirt belonging to him with "relevant forensic information" from the south side of the Dutch Caribbean island.

"So it's an optimistic turn for us that they're looking elsewhere. I mean for almost eleven months they looked at anything van der sloot and nothing else. And we think this new police chief is giving some life and some energy to this investigation," Tacopina adds.

Holloway's father, Dave Holloway, said Sunday he has been informed of the arrested person's identity but did not recognize the name.

"We're hopeful that something will come out of it," Holloway said.

Holloway was last seen leaving an Aruba bar with van der Sloot and Surinamese brothers Deepak and Satish Kalpoe. Van der Sloot has said he left Holloway on a beach near her hotel after they had kissed.

Mariaine Croes, a spokeswoman for the public prosecutor's office, said Saturday that Aruban authorities were not prepared to disclose why Van Cromviort was arrested or how the arrest was linked to the Holloway case.

Dave Holloway said he was still suspicious of van der Sloot and the Kalpoe brothers.

"I still think that these three original suspects still know more than what they told us," he said.

Attorneys for the three, who still remain suspects, tell CBS News their clients don't know Van Cromviort, CBS News correspondent Bianca Solorzano reports.

John Q. Kelly, a lawyer representing the Holloway family in a civil lawsuit against van der Sloot, said on NBC's "Today" show that Aruban authorities told him that the new person detained in the case was questioned for five hours Saturday.

Kelly also said investigators believe the 19-year-old may have information about van der Sloot and the two other previously named suspects, Surinamese brothers Deepak and Satish Kalpoe. "They have common friends. The information this individual picked up is information related to the other three suspects," he said.

Former FBI agent Harold Copus, who was hired to investigate the case by the U.S. television program, the "Dr. Phil" show, said that law enforcement officials in Aruba should be given time to present their evidence about the new suspect.

"There have been so many missteps in this case," Copus said from Las Vegas on Sunday night. "Let's wait to see the evidence that's gathered and how does that tie in to the known facts of Natalee's disappearance."

"The next step, hopefully, is this investigation keeps rolling in the direction it is. Hopefully there's some additional leads that are followed up on. Hopefully there's some resolution," Tacopina tells The Early Show.

In recent weeks, Aruban police have searched sand dunes on the northern coast of the island. Dutch Marines, the FBI and hundreds of volunteers have previously searched for Holloway.

In a case that's had more than half a dozen arrests, fruitless searches across the island and investigations under intense media scrutiny, many hope this latest arrest may finally bring some answers, Solorzano reports.

©MMVI, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
  2. This is all over the news right now. They re-arrested the same three boys* who were under suspicion to begin with. Apparently new evidence has come to light, although they haven't said what it was.

I do hope they just confess and let the family of Natalie get some justice.

*Jordan Van Der Sloot, Deepak and Salish Kalpoe.
  3. This is incredible!
  4. I hope something comes out of this.

I hate to say it but if, God forbid, Natalee is not found alive, her mother is at least owed the oppertunity to give her a proper burial.
  5. Hopefully now this whole thing will finally be solved and her family will have some peace
  6. Guess her mom hooked up with the father of Jon Bennet Ramsey - the cute little pagent girl that was killed / missing :s
  7. Yeah, I knew about that, it was weird. But at the same time, who else would understand what it was like to have your life consist of media on your doorstep and reporters wondering what you had for breakfast? Someone who also lost a child.

One leak is that they discovered a T shirt belonging to Natalie at the home of a Dutch friend of Van Der Sloot. I so pray this is true. Another says a Tshirt belonging to a friend of VDS has DNA evidence. Either way, I'd love to see a closure to this case for the Twitty's, Holloways and their extended families and friends.
  8. :yes::yes:
  9. really?? strange! I remember last year just feeling so sorry for these people, you want them to get the answers but you dont, because you know it's probablly going to be bad. it's so sad. I just dont know what goes through peoples minds. why would this poor girl have to disappear. imagine, no answers, poof just gone. to me that would be the worst! knowing and learning to except, learning how to cope being able to move on, but not knowing. I cant even begin to imagine!

10. Yup and I found a link about it!

The deserve happyness if they can find it.

ANd this just the first one, just google Beth Twitty dating Jon Ramsey and a bunch pop up.
  11. Wow...that is so interesting.
  12. :rolleyes:
  13. :wtf::s
  14. I wonder what hard-core evidence (if any) there is ????
  15. hopefully this will finally be solved.