Neiman Marcus store burns after construction accident - AUSTIN

  1. Neiman Marcus store burns after construction accident
    Damage estimated at $1 million for store being built on MoPac Boulevard.

    By Joshunda Sanders
    AUSTIN AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
    Monday, July 24, 2006


    Workers installing an air-conditioning unit accidentally sparked a fire this afternoon that caused an estimated $1 million in damage to a Neiman Marcus store being built in North Austin, a fire official said.

    The blaze began around 1 p.m. at the store, which is under construction at 11701 N. MoPac Boulevard (Loop 1) just south of Burnet Road. The store was scheduled to open in March.

    Workers were soldering pipes for the unit when something caught fire — officials believe it was roofing materials — and spread throughout the building, Austin Fire Department Battalion Chief David Bearden said.

    Two workers escaped down a stairway from the roof of the building, Bearden said, adding that firefighters extinguished the blaze within an hour.

    http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/07/25fire.html
     
  2. Many fires happen this way due to soldering and then the heat starts a fire etc.
     
  3. It's good no one was hurt.
     
  4. Scary. Glad nobody was hurt.
     
  5. Uh.That's frightening.Glad to hear that no one was hurt.
     
  6. I wonder if they'll hold a fire sale?????????

    hehe I'd pay for things that might have smoke damage
     
  7. SOMEONE SAVE THE BAGS!!!!!!!!

    :lol: :lol: :lol:

    (kidding, obviously save the people and I guess there was no inventory there yet)
     
  8. Whew! Thank goodness no one was hurt. The fire must've spread really fast. That's a lot of estimated damage!
     
  9. Good thing no one was hurt. The damages must be huge!
     
  10. *ouch* :sad:
     

  11. :roflmfao: :roflmfao: :roflmfao:
     
  12. it might be an AWFUL thing, but if i was there, i might run away with a bag or 2 :roflmfao: