Need your help buying my first LV Alma...

1. Hey, Ladies! I'm so happy to find this site! I googled something related to LV and came across a delightful story about two women and their experience at the LV store on Champs. So here I am! I'm addicted now!

I'm living in Paris now, but before I return to the states I am definitely getting an LV. Actually I'm going to make it a present to myself for completing my Masters! :yahoo:

I live approx. 5 mins from the store so I frequent it quite often after doing my online searches. I check prices at the store and then do the conversion. Indeed it is cheaper in France. I've gone in the store many times, they probably think I'm scoping the place out.:weird:

Not the case, I just want to make the right decision. And I've decided on...Alma. She's a beauty and from what I've read, it is one of the original/oldest designs. So, without further ado let me get to the questions...

Where can I get the history of this bag? I did a Google search w/ no good results? This is an investment and want to know its story!

Which store is better to make the purchase? Yeah, flagship! But I can take my purchase that I've saved say 50 Euro on from Ave. Montangne, Gallerie, or St. Germain and pose in front of the Champs location?

What perks can I get when I go to the store? Granted the lady that wrote the original story that led me to you all wrote it in 2005 that she and her friend sipped on Champagne...what's the deal now? When I went to London's Harrods they loaded me up on samples after I purchased a bottle of perfume. I have a feeling I won't be getting that kind of TX in France, but you never know...

Any and all information is welcomed! I'm so happy to be a part of the family!:tender:

2. Bought my Damier Alma at the Gallerie location last June, what I liked was they were so incredibly nice at that location compared to the others we visited.

Don't know what you mean about the other questions. Yes, saved VAT when we left the country to fly back to the US, but didn't get any other "perks" so to speak. I was small fry compared to some people, mostly Asians and Middle Easterns who where buying 5 and 6 bags plus wallets, watches and shoes etc at the same time. I was treated with the same service the BIG spenders got.

3. Hi, welcome to the PF!! Congrats on your Masters. The Alma is a wonderful choice. You can also go to Vuitton.com and I believe somewhere on that site they have stories about their classic bags. The alma is a beautiful and easy to use handbag, I'm sure you'll love her!!

4. My favourite Paris store is in Saint Gemain, it's so intimate. Champs is overloaded with touristts IMO but it's nice too look at. Is there really difference in prices between Champs and other stores?:confused1:

BTT: Alma is one of my favourite shapes...Which alma are you going to buy??

Aboust history I know only that Gaston Louis Vuitton designed it originally as an travel bag in 30's. And proably you know that it's named after place d'Alma in Paris;) (I love cafee which is located there with beautyfull view on eiffel tower:girlsigh: )

5. Thank you all for the info and congrats! As this is my first MAJOR purse purchase I want to be able to justify it!!! Right????

I've noticed since I've been here how the American brand designer purses are for commoners. Having a Louis, Chanel, or Gucci puts you in another category of Fashonistas. I'm getting the classic, monogramed canvas. Isn't that what most LV virgins get? Can't go Epi yet!

Again, thanks for the suggestions and info. I'm a bit afraid about having joined this forum. Now that I'm a part and you guys are so great, it makes you want to go out and buy more designer bags to talk about them. It's so addictive! I'll be sure to post my baby when I get here!!!