Need you to keep this dog in your thoughts...

1. Okay, a little background: I am very close to an aunt and uncle of mine. They live across the street from my parents, and have been almost like a second set of parents to us. They are great people that will bend over backwards for you, and are also a lot of fun.

They have a dog named Duke. He is from the same litter as my parents' dog, Dexter. They are both 9 years old. They grew up with each other and are just really nice dogs that everyone is close to.

About two weeks ago Duke was coughing a lot and not feeling well, so they brought him to the vet, they did x-rays, and they determined he has congestive heart failure. Which sucks, yes, but our old dog had it and it's definitely treatable (she lived until she was 16). He was put on medication and started feeling really great. He had lost some weight and was looking really good and you could tell he felt great.

Yesterday he started coughing up blood. They took him to the vet and they did x-rays again, and they found out he has lung cancer. In just the two weeks between x-rays his lungs were filled with cancer. The vet said it's the very aggressive type that will spread quickly. He has a matter of days or weeks left to live. He was given medicine, but I don't know what it will really do.

I'd really appreciate it if you could keep this dog and my aunt and uncle in your thoughts. This dog is like a child to them (they don't have any kids of their own) and this is just so sudden. We are all heartbroken; I haven't seen them yet since I found out yesterday (but probably will see them today), and I just feel so sad and so bad for them. I know there's nothing I can do to take their pain away. It will especially hurt to see my uncle be sad. And my parents' dog will be a constant reminder when they seem him across the street, you know? It's just such an awful situation that has really taken us all by surprise. Thank you.

2. Oh noooo :crybaby: I'm so very sorry for you alll!!! I'll definitely keep your aunt and uncle, as well as poor Duke in my thoughts. I really hope he gets better :heart:

3. Poor baby. Hope he gets better.

4. Thanks you guys. I saw him today and he was doing much better. He coughed a little bit but no blood (if he got excited or barked then he'd start to cough). I guess it was really bad last night and they had called the vet to see what they should do, but the vet said to wait until the medicine kicked in. I'm glad they didn't have to lose him yesterday, with no time to come to terms with what was happening.

It was good to see him looking happy today. Still, we don't know how much longer he will have. Give all your babies a hug today, you never know when things can take a bad turn. :cry:

5. I'm so sorry for them and their dog. I hope his passing is relatively pain-free. We've lost a dog to cancer and another to heart disease. You just treasure every day you have with your pet.

6. This pup will definitely be in my prayers.

7. my prayers go out to this sweet baby. :sad: how sad.

8. I am so sorry to hear about your Aunt & Uncles dog. It's always hard to have a beloved pet fall ill. My thoughts are with them all.

9. OMG my heart breaks for Duke and your family.

My prayers and thoughts are with all of you

10. Thanks again, everyone.

11. May his final days be filled with the knowledge that he is loved. May he feel little discomfort, and may his journey to the Rainbow Bridge be easy. And when he arrives at the Bridge, all the fur pets who have gone before will be there to greet him, where they will run and play pain free, forever. Amen.

12. Hugs, I will keep them in my thoughts.

13. Prayers for Duke.:heart::heart::heart:

14. that's so sad. Hope he gets well and not feel so much pain.

15. I am so sorry to hear that! May his remaining days be happy, full of love and as painless as possible. I will keep him and your family in my thoughts.