Need urgent help- cats suddenly hate each other & are scaring us!

bellafleur

O.G.
Apr 26, 2007
I really need you guys' help, I hope someone has cats and can offer some advice! My DF and I have 6 year old (Cubby) and 2 year old (Cody) male cats. We try to bathe them once or twice a year, and the last time we had to do it because Cody sat on a tube of toothpaste and got it stuck in his fur. Anyway, we gave them both baths, and had no problems whatsoever.

Well today we decided to give them baths because they were getting kind of stinky, and we started with Cubby this time. We were almost done, and Cubby started peeing in the tub. All of the sudden, Cody started hissing and making these alien-like moaning sounds, and run into the tub and tried to attack Cubby. We got them separated, dried Cubby off, and locked him in the bedroom. Cody was acting fine when he couldn't see Cubby. We ended up being able to give Cody a bath too.

About an hour later, we tried opening the bedroom door, and Cody ventured in. They started hissing and squealing at each other, so we separated them for another hour or so. Finally we opened the door and hoped they would just get it out of their systems. Well, Cubby wedged himself between a chair and the wall and wouldn't move for a couple hours. Every time Cody tried coming in, Cubby would hiss and growl at him.

Finally DF took Cody in another room, and I petted and brushed Cubby, and was able to pick him up, which are his favorite things. I brought him into the kitchen and he ate a little bit, and then we went into the living room to look out the window. He ended up plopping under a table. Well, I went back into the room with DF and Cody, and Cody started hissing at me because he smelled Cubby on me. We let him out because we seriously got scared of him. He went into the living room, and they hissed at each other again, and are now sitting in opposite ends of the house.

What is going on here??? These are two cats that love each other and sleep with each other and have never done anything like this before, previous baths and all. DF and I are at our wits end and are scared to go to bed. What do we do?? Pleeeeaaase someone help, thank you...

HI..

I think, when Cubby pee'd in the tub, he released some pheromones (like spraying, male cats that are not fixed tend to spray to mark their territories).... and Cody was reacting to that...

I would do a couple of things..

* Clean the bathtub really well, wash all towels used on Cubby

* Smear both of them with tuna oil... Yeah, sounds strange, but they then smell alike, and hopefully the scent of the tuna will help block out the scent that is setting Cody off....

I think things will calm down... Just be patient...

I should have mentioned that they are both fixed, and things are not calming down. It's been 7 hours of this behavior. We just tried to feed them with their nightly wet food, and the hissing happened again. I seriously have never heard sounds like this before. They sound like aliens and almost sound like distorted human language. DF and I are freaked out and don't know how we're going to sleep... should we lock them both out of the room, or leave the door open?

Even fixed, a male cat can emit those same pheromones... which I think is what happened when Cubby pee'd...

Try the tuna oil... see if that works...

As for locking them out, that is up to you... see if they settle down for the night... then head to bed...

I do think things will get back to normal, I just think it may take a couple of days for Cody to calm down....

We've been scouring the internet, and on a cat forum they suggested drops of vanilla between the shoulder blades so they smell the same. Since we don't have any tuna, we tried the vanilla, and Cubby hissed at me when I put it on him, but I got in on both of them. So now I've been hissed at by both cats. I sprayed myself with perfume to try to mask the scent, because I'm seriously scared of being attacked in the middle of the night by one or both of them. Well, we're going to try to get to bed. Probably not sleep though. If anyone else has suggestions, I'm all ears, thanks.

Well, sleeping is not working out so well, neither is vanilla apparently. We ended up locking them both out of our room, and I'm glad we did, because every so often we hear it. They are both acting posessed, and DF and I have pits in our stomachs. I'm really scared they'll never like each other again. I'm also scared that I'll never be able to feel comfortable around them again after witnessing this side of them. I don't wish this feeling on the worst pet owner...:sad:

I agree with Tamy, They are both reacting to the different smells. Sometimes when I bring a cat home from a vet visit the others will hiss and growl at her for a while until she starts to smell normal again. Hopefully this will blow over on its own. It would be a good idea to try and make them smell the same with a smell they both like. If they were buddies before they will for sure be buddies again. It might just take a day or two. Try not to worry.

This happens with our two occasionally, an awful fight with hissing, spitting and that dreadful howling noise. Sometimes it can just start out of nothing.

After a really bad one we normally separate them for a few days to let them calm down a bit, it's usually the same one who initiates the fights so we shut her in a room on her own.

Once we allow her the roam of the house again, the other less dominant one usually hides behind the sofa and does this really deep growl if the other one comes too near.

Thankfully they seem to get over the fights a lot more quickly now. Once the growling has stopped we normally try giving them treats so they're both out in the same room.

I hope things work out for your two.

^I hope so... this morning Cody is somewhat back to normal, but every time he tries to even go in the same room as Cubby, he gets hissed and growled at. I probably slept for a total of an hour last night, because every time I started to fall asleep, I would hear the zombie talking noises again. I was afraid to leave the bedroom to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. At one point I just started sobbing and went out in the hall, and Cody was being really friendly to me like he usually is. I went out to the living room and found Cubby, and he just looked like he had these glowing yellow devil eyes even with all the lights on, like he just isn't himself. I left the bedroom door open to see if Cody would come in, but later they were hissing and screaming at each other, and I got freaked out and shut it again.

Then this morning when we got up, they were howling again, and Cubby hid under the bed in the guest room. We have a computer in there, so I was checking this thread, and Cody came by my feet like he always does. Then I hear this sinister growling and hissing from under the bed, and I'm rushing to get Cody out before I find myself in the middle of god knows what. So it's definitely not over.

What I don't understand is why Cody is acting somewhat normal and recognizes Cubby and is almost trying to apologize, but it's like Cubby doesn't recognize Cody anymore. Cubby got the bath first, and that's when Cody attacked him. Maybe Cubby is holding a grudge about that? But since Cubby was bathed first, how would that change Cody's scent? It's like he instantly stopped recognizing that Cody exists, and that this is the same cat he's lived with and snuggled with for over 2 years!

I hope you're right, and I hope everything is fine in a couple days, but I'm seriously doubting my ability to look at them the same way again. I never knew these sounds could come from a cat. These are my first cats, but DF has had cats his whole life and never experienced anything like this. I really hope I'll be able to feel comfortable cuddling them again, but I don't know if I will...

It's sounding kind of similar to ours. Ours are called Mummy and Baby (I know..... lol) and it's usually Baby who starts the fights. Then within a day or so she's forgotten what she's done and is really confused when Mummy is hostile to her.
It will take a little while, but I'm sure they can get back to normal. The noises really are the scariest part.
Try giving them both the attention you normally would, if you start subconsciously punishing Cody then it may make him worse.
Are they house cats?

Yes, they're house cats. I'm not trying to punish anyone, and I'm actually more sympathetic to Cody (the fight starter), because he's really trying to approach Cubby and be friends, but Cubby won't let him come near. I made it a point to go to each of them last night and pet and brush them, and we fed them like normal, just trying to get some routine back. We have this automatic dry food dispenser, and when the food comes out on schedule, they always come running because they're so excited. When the food came out this morning, I heard them both running, and then the howling sounds again. They can't be in the same room. I feel really bad for Cody because he is being so cute around me and DF, and it does seem like he forgot he started the fight. Cubby certainly has not forgotten.

We've taken them to the vet several times, and even got Cody declawed last year because he was ruining our furniture. He came back home after 3 days at the vet, and Cubby was so happy to see him. That's why this is just so darn strange. I just don't understand how this never happened before, and what sparked it off. It wasn't even close to this when Cody was first introduced to Cubby. They took to each other later the same day.

Well, I will just cross my fingers and hope to come home to two uninjured cats this evening. Please god, let them be friends again by the time I get home!

I'm sure they can become friends again, you just need to build up Cubby's confidence again.
I'm not having a go at you on this, I know you're going through a tough time, but please don't declaw any future cats you may have. It really doesn't do them any good mentally or physically. I really hope that it isn't the reason for this fight.
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for them.

I knew I shouldn't have brought that up:smile: It can't be the reason for the fight, because we had him declawed over a year ago. We didn't want to do it, but it was either that or get rid of him, that's how bad he was scratching. It was a tough decision. But I have to say it was one of the best decisions we ever made, because he doesn't even realize he doesn't have claws! He "scratches" the furniture and the scratching post just as much as he always did, we just don't get upset about it anymore. He didn't miss a beat when he got home, no sadness, no licking, nothing. He was just his same old self, without the destructive consequences of his behavior. We haven't declawed Cubby because he only scratches the couch once in a blue moon, so it's not a problem. And they've never had a single fight before this over anything, so I don't even think Cubby realizes Cody doesn't have claws. I just wanted to explain that for us, it was the right decision to make, and we stand by it. Thanks for your kind words, it really helps to know that this is somewhat common cat behavior, but we just haven't had the bad fortune to experience it before.

Like I said, I wasn't meaning to have a go, it just irritates me when people get animals and then do unnecessary things to make them fit their lives.
I wonder if Cody is "all there" - do you think he is?
Again, no offence meant! lol
It's just that our fight-starter sometimes comes across as a sandwich short of a picnic.