Need to rehab a bag...please help!

1. Hi All,

I've come into possession of a vintage gucci bouvier bag...its totally gorgeous. I would guess to say its at the very least 20 years old and I know for a fact that it has been sitting in a drawer for the last six years.

The problem is that the leather strap is very, very dry to the point where it is cracking. I'm petrified to use it because i don't want to ruin it. The strap is completely stiff to the point where it cannot be buckled, without fear of it just snapping in two.

My question to all of you folks is what can I put on the hard leather to soften it up to the point where it might be usable again? The body of the bag is suede, and seems to be in good shape but the whole bag is pretty hard from lack of use.

The only thing I have in my posession for leather care is some coach leather cleaner...but I'm willing to buy whatever I need to to get it fixed. I would rather fix it myself than take it someplace for fear of it getting lost/damaged further because it is a very very importaint bag to me!

Please help!:love:

2. I'm not sure how this would work on Gucci leather..so I would wait on another opinion maybe, but maybe consider going to a tack shop/saddlery and asking someone there what they'd reccommend for dryed out leather. Probably a leather conditioner. When I was riding alot I know on several occassions we would find a saddle or bridle that was 20+ years old with dry, cracked, and moldy leather and we used a leather conditioner on it and it made it almost like new. I think a conditioner might work better than a cleaner since the leather is to the point of breaking. Oh and DON'T put water on it...you might have known that but I have seriously seen people dunk leather in water...

3. Is the bag suede or leather?
    If it is leather - saddle soap, working it in until piable again. Then, use Saddler's Conditioner (should be able to be found at a local cobbler or shoe repair shop)
    If it just needs to be cleaned, I'd suggest the TLC (Total Leather Care) but with the softening that is needed, go for saddle soap - Kiwi sells it for $4 a tin - the main cost is your time.

4. The straps are leather, but the body is suede.

Thank you both so much for your help!