Need to lower body fat %...any advice?

1. I'm 101 lbs and I'm 24% body fat, which I would like to lower to about 18-20%. Do you ladies have any advice? I don't have an usually bad diet, so I'm not sure why it's so high.

Thanks in advance! :idea:

2. 101 lbs and 24% bf??......that is a very odd ratio.............how tall are you?

3. pretty sure exercise is the only way to accomplish this.

4. If you are 101 lbs and your body fat is 24%, it sounds as if you fall into the "skinny fat" category. You need to start lifting weights to add muscle and definition. A solid lifting program along with moderate cardio and a clean diet with enough calories will have you losing body fat and achieving your goal.

I posted this Web site over the weekend, but I'll mention it here, too.

Women's Weight Training

It has some great information about lifting and nutrition for women. I'll give you direct links to the "Eating" section.

eating

There are articles on basic nutrition, dieting to lose body fat and eating to gain mass/muscle. Also basic guidelines on what to eat and why to eat enough to sustain your workouts and gain muscle.

HTH! ;)

5. I'm about 4'11.

6. Thanks cristina! I'll definitely check out the webiste.

7. This would mean that your body is not getting any muscle workout that it needs... I would begin to lift weights a bit to get this better- you can be skinny and have high body fat.

8. weight training will do the trick.
    perhaps hire a personal trainer or go for body pump classes

9. I am a personal trainer /group fitness instructor.
    In order to lose fat you need to do cardio (ANY type will do just find something you like. There are PLENTY of choices nowadays) :yahoo:

Also as pointed out, you should incorporated some type of weight training into your workout routine. Again, nothing crazy, just basic strength
    training.

And last but CERTAINLY not least, you HAVE to be mindful of what you are eating. Are you choosing foods that have a high fat content ??? Learn to read labels on foods. I do not believe in "dieting". Just eat healthy. Unless you have a medical condition such as a thyroid disorder, it's really a simple mathematical equation. The calories you put into the "hole" in your face need to be less than the calories you expend.:yes:

There is no quick fix. It's all behavior modification.

10. I'm not an expert by any means, but my guess would be to do more exercise on a regular basis. I am a huge fan of walking every day. One half hour to an hour may help.

11. I have the same problem. 123 lb, and about 26-27% fat.

12. Thank you ladies for all the helpful advice! I will definitely get my butt in the gym or doing some kind of physical activity.

13. Also you could monitor your fibre intake and increase it if necessary. Good luck!

14. I'm confused...how does fiber intake relate to % body fat? :confused1:

15. ^^It doesn't per say.

I think that what she is trying to say (or meant) was that a diet with plenty of fiber intake is important for the health of the digestive system and for lowering cholesterol. Foods containing fiber are good sources of other essential nutrients too. Depending on how they're prepared, these foods are typically also low in fat, saturated fat and cholesterol.

Also dietary fiber cannot be broken down by human digestive enzymes. So all of the undigestable carbs enter the large intestine, where they are fermented to varying dgress by microflora (bacteria) in the colon. So fiber "gets things moving" so to speak, which indirectly helps relate to body fat.;)