Need help with a "gift" for a death in Chinese family

Tori

O.G.
Apr 28, 2006
Hi -

My parents' neighbors, who I have known my entire life, had a death in the family - the husband's 102 year old mother passed away. The family is very traditional Chinese, and my family would like to send an appropriate gift of some sort to them......any help as to what would be appropriate, or at least inappropriate would be appreciated. I know next to nothing about Chinese culture, other than that certain colros and foods are symbolic during life events. We would hate to send something that would symbolize something other than condolences and respect.

Thanks so much

My grandpa recently passed away, and most people just bought one of those flower things, with ribbons tied to them with their names on them. I can't recall the name right now, sorry.

you don't really send a "gift" to someone when someone they love has passed away. It would be more proper to send a card and flowers, and perhaps a meal that they can reheat since i'm sure they wont want to cook or a gift certificate to a resturant so they can eat.

But really, flowers and a card should be sufficient.

Do you live near an Asian florist? The norm is to send a floral "wreath" made of white or yellow mums or carnations. It will be displayed during the funeral or the viewing.