Nearly 12 Years Old, ‘Rent’ Is to Close

1. Producers said that the musical phenomenon, one of the longest-running shows on Broadway, will end on June 1.

"Rent," an East Village rock version of Puccini’s opera “La Bohème,” opened Off Broadway at the New York Theater Workshop in 1996.

On the night of the final dress rehearsal, Jonathan Larson, far left, the 35-year-old composer and librettist, died of an aortic aneurysm. Michael Greif, right, directed the show.

Original cast members included, from left, Daphne Rubin-Vega as Mimi, Anthony Rapp as Mark and Adam Pascal as Roger.
    600_RentNYTW.jpg 600_RentLarson.jpg 600_RentTrio.jpg
  2. The original cast also included the now familiar names Taye Diggs, Idina Menzel and Jesse L. Martin (far left).

The show transferred to Broadway on April 16, 1996, at the Nederlander Theater. It went on to win four Tony Awards, including best musical, and the Pulitzer Prize.

A movie version of the show, which starred almost all of the original cast, opened in 2005, although it was a box-office failure.
    Rent_Cast.jpg Broadway.jpg 600_Rent_Film.jpg
  3. This makes me so sad! I love that show! :crybaby:
  4. Mr. Pascal, left, and Mr. Rapp reprised their roles on Broadway in 2007.

"Rent," which cost $240,000 to put up downtown, has gone on to gross more than $280 million on Broadway and another $330 million on the road. Productions have been mounted on six continents.

In that Little Town of Bethlehem, we raise a glass, you bet your ass to La Vie Boheme.
    Rent_Reprise.jpg 600_Rent1.jpg
  5. I saw it three times on Broadway and I own the movie on DVD!

(I always sing along when I watch it!)

They say I have the best ass below 14th Street. Is it true? You're staring again.

Oh, no. I mean you do have a nice . . . I mean . . .
  6. I remember seeing the play the first month it was out on Broadway. All good things must come to an end. They should of never made a movie out of it.
  7. WOW

I had no idea that the orignal cast was the ones in the movie!! I saw the movie and it was really good. I even cried at the end

I even know the theme song by heart, I got it in my iPod (well use to)

Five Hundred Twenty Five THousand Six hundred minutes.....