Nashville to Berlin in 3 weeks

1. So I just got a plane ticket to Berlin. I'm leaving Feb 28 and am traveling alone, but meeting a friend that is currently in grad school in Paris. He has been to Berlin many of times but I am doubting he knows where the 'do not miss' shopping areas are. For those of you that have been, what is one thing you would not thinking about leaving Berlin without seeing/doing again? I've read all I can read on travel sites but it's not doing me much good. Any boutiques I need to hit up? A hole in the wall with to die for cuisine? I want to hear everything...

My agenda is to sightsee, shop, and check out the local techno scene. I am a DJ so that's 75% of the reason I heading to Berlin but still need to get my dose of shopping in.

Thanks in advance

2. I'll be in Berlin from the 8th till the 18th for the Berlinale.

Berlin is fantastic and so much fun!!!

I highly recommend you shop at the little boutiques at Mitte, they have great sales during February.
    For big brands and to see the posh Berlin go to Charlottenburg, at Kurfuerstendamm Strasse, a boulevard with shops and cafes. KDV department store is of course a must, I love the food halls.
    The Arkaden at Potsdamer Platz also has many shops, and restaurants.

Kreuzberg has a Turkish community, a perfect place to eat Turkish kebabs, and Donner.

Curry wurst is the Berliners favorite snack, you must try it.

Eating out... I love Monsieur Vuong (Schönhauser Strasse 46), and Curry 36
    (Mehringdamm 36). I also am a huge fan of German beer, and I like the beer places at Hackescher markt. Also many great Korean places!!!

The best cocktails in Europe: Universum Lounge (Kurfurstendamm 153)

Don't forget to visit the museums at Museumsinsel, especially the Pergamon.

Also Helmut Newton Foundation is cool but it will be closed from Feb - Jul...

When you arrive at Berlin, buy Zitty Essen Trinken Tanzen magazine. It is bilingual, and has all the info you'll need.
    Unfotrunately I don't know much about the techno scene... Only club I've been was Café Moscow, in Karl Marx Alee, and at a festival in Volksbruner (sp???).

Have fun!!!

3. My ex and I were stationed in West Berlin in the 80's. I really don't remember a lot about the shopping, but I do know the best place for shopping back then was on the Kunfustendamm (phonetic spelling) near the major U-Bahn there.

The Berlin people are just wonderful!! Man, the three years I spent there was just so much fun! ANYPLACE you choose to eat at is good, believe me! I never had a bad meal in all that time!

When I was there, several historical events happened... Hess died (or was murdered, it was never really solved), the German/American Diskoteck was bombed, as well as some major artifacts (don't remember what it was) were found. Have fun ladies!!! Wish I could go with you, I sure miss it there!

For big brands and to see the posh Berlin go to Charlottenburg, at Kurfuerstendamm Strasse, a boulevard with shops and cafes. KDV department store is of course a must, I love the food halls.
    <
    Quote from lily25

This is where I was talking about. Thanks Lily, for more detailed info, as well as more current info. I left there in 1987... just realized how long it's been!